Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Solution for the "Fighting" Sioux, Denver's Boone, and Other "Lost" Mascots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Solution for the "Fighting" Sioux, Denver's Boone, and Other "Lost" Mascots...

Since it seems the world has been over run by the forces of PC, I offer a new proposal for all those Universities and other schools who ignore the majority wishes of their fan base, current students, alumni, etc and instead listed to the voice of the vocal minority who lay their woes at the feet of America’s institutions of higher learning.

When a school declares that a slogan, mascot, nickname, etc will no longer be used because it isn't PC and must be eliminated for the common good, that entity immediately becomes public domain*. From that day forward the school forfeits all copyrights, trademarks, etc related to it and is not entitled to any royalties from its use and must make public all graphics, fonts, and other materials related to such items. Thus the entity becomes public property and anyone who chooses can use it in any manner that they see fit. Maybe they could use it for their own sports team, personal business slogan, or simply for personal financial gain (printing T-shirts, stickers, banners, etc.) in the realm of sports marketing.
    * The one exception being, those that caused the entity to become public domain shall be banned from any use of such items.

Of course the schools could not possibly object to this proposal because who would buy such items anyway? Clearly the institution is only doing what the majority of their fans want, so demand for such items would be so minimal that the royalties would not be worth anything, right?

…And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

Ryan J

Graduate of a school district who is about to loose their “Indians” mascot because one person, who never attend the school district (and as far as anyone can tell has never even visited the school district) filed a law suit (which can not be contested due to state law) that they were “offended” by the mascot.
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: A Solution for the "Fighting" Sioux, Denver's Boone, and Other "Lost" Mascots...

Ever try cooking polish sausage in a salsa sauce? Ohh, yum!

Hockey

Comment

Re: A Solution for the "Fighting" Sioux, Denver's Boone, and Other "Lost" Mascots...

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Since it seems the world has been over run by the forces of PC
      I knew we shouldn't have kicked them out of HOCKEY RAST. You cut them loose and next thing you know they're overrunning the world.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

How much of this is suggestion and how much is how it actually works? Is it public domain once the school abandons it?
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Students and alumni at DU can use Boone as they choose but the school will not officially endorse him as the school mascot or provide any funding. The link below provides the transcript of the e-mail sent by the Chancellor to DU students in October 2008. This is the direct quote from the e-mail.

Opinion on campus concerning this matter is now quite polarized, and a resolution is needed. We need to move on. Consequently, I have decided that Boone will not become the official mascot of the University. While I certainly appreciate the genuine enthusiasm behind the "bring back Boone" movement, the University simply cannot adopt an official mascot that has a divisive rather than unifying influence on our community. The image will not be used in any official manner by the University, nor will we provide financial support for its use by others. That being said, Boone is a part of our history, one that is treasured by many alumni and friends as a symbol of the University they knew three and four decades ago, and we are certainly an institution that honors its past. Hence it seems reasonable that students and alumni be allowed to use the image as a celebration of that past, to the extent that they may choose.

http://letsgodu2.blogspot.com/2008/1...-students.html
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Well, it looks like some people in North Dakota are not going to let the nickname issue go away without another fight. I doubt this will pass, but would love to see it happen.

From today's GF Herald:

BISMARCK – The North Dakota House will decide next week whether the University of North Dakota nickname debate should continue.

The House Education Committee gave a do-pass recommendation on Wednesday to a bill supporting the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

House Bill 1263 states UND athletic teams shall be known as the Fighting Sioux. Neither UND nor the state Board of Higher Education may take action to discontinue the use of the nickname or logo.

It requires the attorney general to consider filing a federal anti-trust claim against the NCAA if the association takes any action to penalize UND for using the nickname and logo.

The bill is sponsored by House Majority Leader Al Carlson of Fargo and received a 10-5 favorable vote. The other two nickname bills received do-not-pass recommendations.

All of the nickname bills still need to go to the House floor for final votes. Carlson said this could happen as early as Monday, but Tuesday is more likely.

If one or more are approved, the state Senate will then take up the issue.

Wednesday’s recommendations come three weeks after the committee listened to several hours’ worth of testimony from nickname supporters and opponents.

During the committee discussion, Rep. Phil Mueller, D-Valley City, said he’s never had a problem with the Fighting Sioux nickname, but he would not support the bill.

He said the state Board of Higher Education and UND concluded it’s time to move on.

“I guess I’m of common mind with them about that. This isn’t going to go away,” Mueller said. “I don’t think that the Standing Rock people are going to decide this is all fine and the NCAA is going to be happy.”

The NCAA has deemed the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo “hostile and abusive.” Opponents say the nickname and logo have contributed to an atmosphere where racist and abusive incidents occurred.

Rep. David Rust, R-Tioga, reviewed numbers of Native American students at the state’s colleges. He said UND has higher numbers than other campuses, and he didn’t think this would be so if the campus was unfriendly and unsafe.

Rep. RaeAnn Kelsch, R-Mandan, said it bothered her that the state Board of Higher Education took a neutral stance on the nickname bills.

If the board is confident in its decision to move on and believes it was fully transparent and explored every angle, representatives should have testified in opposition, she said.

“If you truly believe what you did was right and you truly believe that the decision was the way it should have been, then man up and come in and testify against it. But that didn’t happen,” she said.

Rep. Corey Mock, D-Grand Forks, said he has no problem with turning over every stone to exhaust all of the options. However, he said no other school in the state has its nickname and logo in state law.

“More importantly, there’s no other nickname or logo that has the repercussions that this bill has on its student-athletes,” he said.

UND has decided to move on, and the bill takes away local control, he said. Mock said he couldn’t support the bill due to the impact it would have on students.

Rep. Mike Schatz, R-New England, said the state of North Dakota takes priority over an association.

“What we decide as the state of North Dakota about this issue is what it’s going to be,” he said. “I’m very much in favor of this bill.”

Mock tried to amend one of the other Fighting Sioux bills that discussed permission from the tribes, but he did not get the votes to do so.

Here is the vote breakdown on the bill that passed:

YAY: Kelsch; Rep. Lisa Meier, R-Bismarck; Rep. Joe Heilman, R-Fargo; Rep. Brenda Heller, R-Beulah; Rep. Dennis Johnson, R-Devils Lake; Rep. Karen Karls, R-Bismarck; Rep. Karen Rohr, R-Mandan; Rust; Schatz; Rep. Lyle Hanson, D-Jamestown.

NAY: Rep. Mark Sanford, R-Grand Forks; Rep. John Wall, R-Wahpeton; Rep. Bob Hunskor, D-Newburg; Mock; Mueller.
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
              Well, it looks like some people in North Dakota are not going to let the nickname issue go away without another fight. I doubt this will pass, but would love to see it happen.

From today's GF Herald:

BISMARCK – The North Dakota House will decide next week whether the University of North Dakota nickname debate should continue.

The House Education Committee gave a do-pass recommendation on Wednesday to a bill supporting the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

House Bill 1263 states UND athletic teams shall be known as the Fighting Sioux. Neither UND nor the state Board of Higher Education may take action to discontinue the use of the nickname or logo.

It requires the attorney general to consider filing a federal anti-trust claim against the NCAA if the association takes any action to penalize UND for using the nickname and logo.

The bill is sponsored by House Majority Leader Al Carlson of Fargo and received a 10-5 favorable vote. The other two nickname bills received do-not-pass recommendations.

All of the nickname bills still need to go to the House floor for final votes. Carlson said this could happen as early as Monday, but Tuesday is more likely.

If one or more are approved, the state Senate will then take up the issue.

Wednesday’s recommendations come three weeks after the committee listened to several hours’ worth of testimony from nickname supporters and opponents.

During the committee discussion, Rep. Phil Mueller, D-Valley City, said he’s never had a problem with the Fighting Sioux nickname, but he would not support the bill.

He said the state Board of Higher Education and UND concluded it’s time to move on.

“I guess I’m of common mind with them about that. This isn’t going to go away,” Mueller said. “I don’t think that the Standing Rock people are going to decide this is all fine and the NCAA is going to be happy.”

The NCAA has deemed the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo “hostile and abusive.” Opponents say the nickname and logo have contributed to an atmosphere where racist and abusive incidents occurred.

Rep. David Rust, R-Tioga, reviewed numbers of Native American students at the state’s colleges. He said UND has higher numbers than other campuses, and he didn’t think this would be so if the campus was unfriendly and unsafe.

Rep. RaeAnn Kelsch, R-Mandan, said it bothered her that the state Board of Higher Education took a neutral stance on the nickname bills.

If the board is confident in its decision to move on and believes it was fully transparent and explored every angle, representatives should have testified in opposition, she said.

“If you truly believe what you did was right and you truly believe that the decision was the way it should have been, then man up and come in and testify against it. But that didn’t happen,” she said.

Rep. Corey Mock, D-Grand Forks, said he has no problem with turning over every stone to exhaust all of the options. However, he said no other school in the state has its nickname and logo in state law.

“More importantly, there’s no other nickname or logo that has the repercussions that this bill has on its student-athletes,” he said.

UND has decided to move on, and the bill takes away local control, he said. Mock said he couldn’t support the bill due to the impact it would have on students.

Rep. Mike Schatz, R-New England, said the state of North Dakota takes priority over an association.

“What we decide as the state of North Dakota about this issue is what it’s going to be,” he said. “I’m very much in favor of this bill.”

Mock tried to amend one of the other Fighting Sioux bills that discussed permission from the tribes, but he did not get the votes to do so.

Here is the vote breakdown on the bill that passed:

YAY: Kelsch; Rep. Lisa Meier, R-Bismarck; Rep. Joe Heilman, R-Fargo; Rep. Brenda Heller, R-Beulah; Rep. Dennis Johnson, R-Devils Lake; Rep. Karen Karls, R-Bismarck; Rep. Karen Rohr, R-Mandan; Rust; Schatz; Rep. Lyle Hanson, D-Jamestown.

NAY: Rep. Mark Sanford, R-Grand Forks; Rep. John Wall, R-Wahpeton; Rep. Bob Hunskor, D-Newburg; Mock; Mueller.
              Haha. So the Bill is created by a guy from Fargo, and Nayed by a guy representing Grand Forks?

Just let it go already.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Haha. So the Bill is created by a guy from Fargo, and Nayed by a guy representing Grand Forks?

Just let it go already.
                Over?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?? Hell no!!
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

If North Dakota were for some reason adopt "The Lady Ga-Ga's" as their nickname they would be stopped in a flash. Same goes if they were to call themselves "The Fighting U.S. Marines." What in blazes besides bigotry makes any person or group think they can use the name of another person or group to identify themselves and turn a profit?

Comment

Boone's not lost. Here's a photo of Boone on Center Court of the DU basketball game last Thursday night.

Video Link

These schools are finding it very difficult to go against the will of the alumni and the students. You just have to keep playing the game until a major donor comes along and says, "Here's the cash for a new building and BTW the mascot/logo stays."

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jUuROmnD1rI/TVlS-rr_bfI/AAAAAAAAKNw/0aTF0aXdcLk/s400/Dancing%2BBoone.jpg******
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                      If North Dakota were for some reason adopt "The Lady Ga-Ga's" as their nickname they would be stopped in a flash. Same goes if they were to call themselves "The Fighting U.S. Marines." What in blazes besides bigotry makes any person or group think they can use the name of another person or group to identify themselves and turn a profit?
                      Ask the New England Patriots. Or Seattle Mariners. Or Montreal Canadiens. You really suck at trolling, me boi.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Washington Redskins
                        Florida State Seminoles
                        Boston Celtics
                        Atlanta Braves
                        Cleveland Indians
                        Kansas City Chiefs
                        Minnesota Vikings
                        Chicago Blackhawks
                        Montreal Canadiens
                        Vancouver Canucks
                        Utah Utes
                        Hawai'i Wahine
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish
                        Cleveland State Vikings
                        San Diego State Aztecs
                        Army Black Knights
                        Union Dutchmen
                        Penn Quakers

This is, obviously, just a partial list.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Is your name actually Red Bear? You are using a group of colored animals as your handle. What's wrong with brown or black bears? You Racist!
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Dallas Cowboys fans are bigots?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              Dallas Cowboys fans are bigots?
                              Yes, but not for that reason.

I'm sure all of the Yankees in Mass aren't thrilled with a New York team profiting from their people.
                              Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Working...
                              X