Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2010-11 Part III - Is That So Much To Ask?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2010-11 Part III - Is That So Much To Ask?

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    Over Clarkson?!?
    I don't think I'll ever be over Clarkson.
    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      Why not compute 5 on 3 efficiency like a baseball ERA is calculated?
      Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/
      Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
        Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/
        Nice work, but one question: Why calculate to a 2-minute mark? After all, ERA is calculated to a per-game basis (9 innings). Perhaps it would work to say "what if the entire game were spent 5-on-3"?
        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
          Nice work, but one question: Why calculate to a 2-minute mark? After all, ERA is calculated to a per-game basis (9 innings). Perhaps it would work to say "what if the entire game were spent 5-on-3"?
          Well, calculating for 2 minutes allows you to compare it to their 5-on-4 conversion rate. I'm not sure what calculating for 60 minutes would accomplish.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            Well, calculating for 2 minutes allows you to compare it to their 5-on-4 conversion rate. I'm not sure what calculating for 60 minutes would accomplish.
            Agreed, also if you want it per game multiply the 2 minute one by 30... silly COM kids

BUH thank you, I have been complaining for at least three years after every time I see a PP given then 5 seconds later a make up call that this shouldn't hurt both teams PP% as if it was a full powerplay. Also that when Gilroy, Yip, Lawrence, and Wilson went out their and methodically scored a PP goal before "The Song" was even over there should be a way to show that that is more impressive than 2009-10 and 10-11 BU flailing around for 1:30 then scoring as the seconds are ticking down (although even that is rare at this point). It's not like we don't have the technology.
            Last edited by Agganis; 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that the size of the Pep Band seems to be shrinking?
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                Second, if there were upsets the first night, we'd get to see the first battle of the twins since Brad faced off against Tony.
                Except they're not twins.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                  Has anyone noticed that the size of the Pep Band seems to be shrinking?
                  Yes! I've only been to Agganis once this year (due to issues I won't get into), but I went to the Beanpot Consolation Game (I'm probably the only person who left before the championship game, which, frankly, I just wasn't interested in) and was stunned. It also looked (admittedly, from afar, as I was in the loge and the band was way up in the balcony) that they have a new director. What happened to Chris Parks? And if this is the case, that could be the reason (don't take the wrong - I'm not disparaging anyone, but this happens frequently in any organization - the new person has to "build it back up"). In any event, the reduction is size really hurts their ability to project, especially in a large arena.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Yes! I've only been to Agganis once this year (due to issues I won't get into), but I went to the Beanpot Consolation Game (I'm probably the only person who left before the championship game, which, frankly, I just wasn't interested in) and was stunned. It also looked (admittedly, from afar, as I was in the loge and the band was way up in the balcony) that they have a new director. What happened to Chris Parks? And if this is the case, that could be the reason (don't take the wrong - I'm not disparaging anyone, but this happens frequently in any organization - the new person has to "build it back up"). In any event, the reduction is size really hurts their ability to project, especially in a large arena.
                    Chris Parks is at Maryland now. He left after last year and the grad student assistant took over the full time gig once he left if I heard correctly. They have seemed to be the same size to me but maybe it is a little smaller now that I think about it.
                    GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
                      Chris Parks is at Maryland now. He left after last year and the grad student assistant took over the full time gig once he left if I heard correctly. They have seemed to be the same size to me but maybe it is a little smaller now that I think about it.
                      Well, that's too bad, but congrats to him. Let's face it, almost every other part of the country is a step up when it comes to anything involving participation and enthusiasm. The "intellectual" Northeast is a very difficult place to generate any real sizable support for almost any athletic program. So BU has to understand that it is going to be a stepping-stone situation for almost anything except hockey. I've often mused (any reference to a certain goalie is purely coincidental) about what it would be like to "move" the BU hockey program to a place like Michigan, Wisconsin or Notre Dame - someplace where it is a madhouse and people aren't "embarrassed" or feel that it is beneath them to actually get up and YELL (to address another issue currently running on the BU/NU thread). I don't see the football stadium at Alabama half-full for ANY games. It would be fantastic to have that atmosphere here, but it's not going to happen, so there's no point in harping on the issue. And it has NOTHING to do with the arena. In the case of a band, if that was the primary reason for attending college (if I were going to major in music, for example), I would have gone to Ohio State or some school with a HUGE band that is actually respected and appreciated. When I was at BU, we had the "Magnificent Myles Marching Band," a bunch of buffoons in striped tops and straw hats. I'm a serious musician who is a member of the union and still plays professionally, so I can appreciate Chris's desire to move to a larger program. It's a natural step. Hopefully we can bring in someone who can engender that same kind of participation. Obviously he must have been well-liked or the students wouldn't have played for him!

Comment

What happened to Chris Parks?
                        Chris Parks is now the Assistant Director of Bands at Harrison High School in the Cobb County Public Schools in Georgia and his wife is the Assistant Professor of Dance at Kennesaw State.
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
                          Close, he is in Georgia, and not with any college. And his job was split into three roles with the former grad student getting the pep band portion of it. The band was as large as ever at the beginning of the year, not sure what explains the decrease throughout the year, although it has always been larger at the beginning of the year, although this is slightly more drastic a change than most seasons.

Comment

I don't see the football stadium at Alabama half-full for ANY games.
                            That could have something to do with Alabama college sports competing with these teams for a slice of the sports fans disposable income. While New England colleges have slightly more competition in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              Chris Parks is now the Assistant Director of Bands at Harrison High School in the Cobb County Public Schools in Georgia and his wife is the Assistant Professor of Dance at Kennesaw State.
                              Thanks for that information. Sounds like (and I'm just speculating here, of course) that perhaps he made the move because it was a significant career advancement for his wife, because I can tell you almost with certainly (not that it isn't intuitively obvious) that as an Assistant high school band director he is making almost nothing (certainly compared to what he had to be making at BU). Of course, maybe they're from there and it's going "back home" (or at least that area). So we move on from here...

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                Did you watch the game Friday night? Would have been 4-2 if Millan wasn't very good....against a "weak" opponent.

Which one of these retards is you?
                                *****http://darrenjcosta.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/13955_1210502782907_1238850068_30685044_419222_n.j pg******
                                i know which one we wish your parents used

Comment

Working...
                                X