Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2010-11 Part III - Is That So Much To Ask?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2010-11 Part III - Is That So Much To Ask?

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
    I don't know if Parker really cares about having more wins than York.
    You're kidding, right?

Comment

He is still a **** good coach and certainly has a team assuming no mass early exits after this season that can make a run at the NC next year. Hell, I am a homer but I think if we get in this year we got a shot at getting hot and making a run to the FF.
      I agree with this... and speaking of next year (since I have not checked it out at all), does anyone have a handle on who we have coming in for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
        You're kidding, right?
        Do you think York cares about having more wins than Parker?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          Do you think York cares about having more wins than Parker?
          I think as people who both spent their entire life in hockey, I think it means a lot to each of them to be #1 all-time. How could it not? I'm not chiding Parker for wanting it, I just think there could be a danger there if he hangs on too long to try and get it. If being # 1 all time means nothing to Jerry York, I wouldn't want him as a coach. Why strive NOT to be the best if any job?

Comment

I think as people who both spent their entire life in hockey, I think it means a lot to each of them to be #1 all-time. How could it not? I'm not chiding Parker for wanting it, I just think there could be a danger there if he hangs on too long to try and get it. If being # 1 all time means nothing to Jerry York, I wouldn't want him as a coach. Why strive NOT to be the best if any job?
            OK... this I can agree with... I'm sure it is on each of thier radar screens to some extent... but I also dont think that it is a primary motivating factor as to why either one of them will decited to retire / not retire. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
              I haven't had much time to respond to this discussion (and still don't lol), however I look at it was what BU should have done in the last decade vs. looking at what they did do. In the majority of the years of the 2000s, I believe that BU underachieved.

Whether you believe it was lack of development, no playing well in big games, lack of focus, I think that the end result is that with the talent on some of the teams BU should have definitely have had more FF's in the decade.

BU was fairly good at reaching regional finals, but unfortunately had a hard time going over that hump into the FF. BU had a 1-4 record in the 2000s in regional finals. Most of the losses were severe beatdowns. Even if you look at the one regional final win in 2009, it was a fluke goal with 17 seconds left that gave them the win, so BU could have easily have gone 0-5 in regional finals in the 2000s. Pretty poor.
              So your big beef over the past 10 years amounts to a total of 2 or 3 losses against the best (or second best) team in the nation?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                I agree with this... and speaking of next year (since I have not checked it out at all), does anyone have a handle on who we have coming in for next year?
                Yeah there are four coming in for sure. 1. Cason Hohmann a forward from Cedar Rapids of the USHL and US development program I believe. 2. Evan Rodrigues- a highly skilled (5'10'' 170lbs) forward from the Ontario Junior Hockey League. 3. Matt O'Connor - a 6'5 goalie from ontario now in the ushl 4. Alexx Privitera- 5'10'' defenseman from jersey- presumably to fill in warso's spot. I think I read Parker wanted to bring in another big-time goalie to go with O'Connor as they are losing Kraus and there is a chance Millan will talk to Colorado at least. There is nothing official though.
                GO BU

Comment

Yeah there are four coming in for sure. 1. Cason Hohmann a forward from Cedar Rapids of the USHL and US development program I believe. 2. Evan Rodrigues- a highly skilled (5'10'' 170lbs) forward from the Ontario Junior Hockey League. 3. Matt O'Connor - a 6'5 goalie from ontario now in the ushl 4. Alexx Privitera- 5'10'' defenseman from jersey- presumably to fill in warso's spot. I think I read Parker wanted to bring in another big-time goalie to go with O'Connor as they are losing Kraus and there is a chance Millan will talk to Colorado at least. There is nothing official though.
                  wasn't there a mass goalie that both parker and york were interested in? from malden or cm or something like that i thought. also hohmann tried out for usndtp i believe but he's been with cedar rapids in the ushl for the past two years so i don't know if he was ever officially with them

Comment

Ok I can agree with you on that. I just hope both would prefer to have more NCs instead of more wins. I think that is the ultimate determining factor in my eyes. I just know Bill Belichick cares alot more about SB's than how many wins he has. I know it is a different situation but championships mean more than overall wins to me.
                    GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by limey View Post
                      So your big beef over the past 10 years amounts to a total of 2 or 3 losses against the best (or second best) team in the nation?
                      Not the only beef, but certainly the most obvious area where BU's alleged "issues" most glaringly manifested themselves. BU's GF-GA in those games was 4-16. How about half the teams in the decade (some stacked with NHL prospects) that didn't even make it to the tournament? My main point is that the talent that was recruited did not produce the results I would have expected. One man's opinion.

Would most NCAA teams have loved to have had BU's 2000's decade? Sure. I think BU could have done better though.
                      Last edited by Tater; 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Not the only beef, but certainly the most obvious area where BU's alleged "issues" most glaringly manifested themselves. BU's GF-GA in those games was 4-16.
                        Wow, that is a collective buttkicking. That's a tough one to spin but I'm sure some will try.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

My main point is that the talent that was recruited did not produce the results I would have expected.
                          ding ding ding! Winner

Comment

Would most NCAA teams have loved to have had BU's 2000's decade? Sure. I think BU could have done better though.
                            This seems to be the most reasoned conclusion of the whole discussion. For most, our performance in the 2000's would be extraordinary. For BU, the standard is higher, and we expected more, and could have accomplished more. However, the Chicken Little mentality of some is unjustified. The program is not in a tailspin, the coaching staff doesn't need to be run out of town this spring, and the sky is not falling. Adjustments may need to be made in one or more of recruiting, coaching, teaching, player commitment, big game prep, mental prep, etc. But the tools are still in place for us to be a highly successful program. The level of parity that exists today didn't exist 20 years ago, especially with the rise of more programs such as Miami, Notre Dame, and even some of the Hockey East mid level teams. More good teams are out there, the tournament is more difficult to traverse, meaning looking for dominant results over a large time period is highly unlikely. Comparisons to BC are stupid because no one compares to them. I said it before, they're Secreteriat during the 2000s, and everyone else is battling for second.
                            time to write new history

Comment

Not the only beef, but certainly the most obvious area where BU's alleged "issues" most glaringly manifested themselves. BU's GF-GA in those games was 4-16. How about half the teams in the decade (some stacked with NHL prospects) that didn't even make it to the tournament? My main point is that the talent that was recruited did not produce the results I would have expected. One man's opinion.

That's fair enough. I expected more during some of those regional finals also. I just don't think that those games warrant replacing Parker.

Comment

I think his ego is hellbent on outlasting York and trying to retire with the most wins. Thats how I see it anyways.
                                Of course you see it that way. You have some of the most maroon-and-gold tinted glasses around. Parker has told us he will stop coaching when he no longer enjoys it. Having gotten as close to him as I have over the last two years, I can assure you that time has not yet come. He clearly still loves what he does, and that's been evident in many conversations we've had with him.
                                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X