Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2010-11 Part III - Is That So Much To Ask?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2010-11 Part III - Is That So Much To Ask?

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
    I mention forwards because back in the day, BU sent quite a bit of forwards to the NHL (Drury, Amonte, Tkachuk, etc). I guess do you feel, then, that since several schools who are winning titles are sending forwards to the NHL (BC, Michigan, Minnesota, UND, etc) then a.) BU isn't attracting NHL-quality talent up front or b.) He is still getting the talent and for whatever reason they aren't making the NHL anymore? Just curious from a BU perspective which one you think it is.

You mention unsupported claims, but the proof is BU's lack of forwards in the NHL compared to the past. It's so easy, even a fanboy can figure it out.
    Based on 30 seconds of rough research, here are the number of current NHL forwards who played at their respective college in the past decade:

BU: 3
    BC: 4
    MN: 4
    ND: 3

Michigan dwarfs everyone. Did not have time to count because I have too much else to do, but it isnt close.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
      Only one of the schools mentioned here can definitively fall into the "are winning titles" category. I'll leave it to you to figure out which one. And I'd take the state of the BU program over Minnesota's, the second most recent title winner there, right now any day of the week. Have they won an NCAA tournament game since 2005? Comparing BU and BC right now is unhelpful, because BC currently dwarfs everyone else in the country in terms of success. If you pair BU up against the other three listed there in terms of recent success, BU currently has a clear edge over Minnesota, is about on par with Michigan, maybe a step ahead because we have a title, and is probably a step behind North Dakota, though again, we have the recent title, they don't. But they have more overall success and have put more guys in the pros. There is only a very small handful of programs that you can look at right now and say that they are currently ahead of BU, with respect to recent achievements (say the last seven years, arbitrarily). I'm running on low sleep today, so forgive me if I'm missing a blaring exception, but BC seems to be the only one that jumps out as blatantly ahead of BU, and everyone else for that matter. You can make arguments for UNH, North Dakota, Michigan, Denver, and Miami, but the blaring hole for all of them except DU is the title, and they themselves have had a few off years. Point, let's all stop acting like Chicken Little. Some adjustments need to be made, not sweeping institutional changes. Comparing ourselves over the last five plus seasons to BC is stupid, they're Secretariat, and the rest of the country is battling for second. We just happen to play them a lot more than most of those other second place hunters.
      Minnesota is the type of program, though, that you know will rebound. Not that BU won't, but there's always this talk about Massachusetts not producing hockey players like they used to. You dont hear that from Minnesota. Minnesota's problem, like BU's, is the coach has been there too long.

Comment

Looks like Wodon's read for BU's tourney prospects are somewhat more optimistic than mookie's:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...acket_abcs.php

Even if it's unrealistic, I'm going to hope he's right.

Comment

Originally posted by limey View Post
          Based on 30 seconds of rough research, here are the number of current NHL forwards who played at their respective college in the past decade:

BU: 3
          BC: 4
          MN: 4
          ND: 3

Michigan dwarfs everyone. Did not have time to count because I have too much else to do, but it isnt close.
          By my count, BC has 8 (Gionta, Boyle, Reasoner, Eaves, Kobasew, Shannon, Gerbe, and Ferriero). Steve Gionta also got a cup of coffee with NJ earlier this year, too. You are right about Michigan having more than any.

Comment

Minnesota is the type of program, though, that you know will rebound. Not that BU won't, but there's always this talk about Massachusetts not producing hockey players like they used to. You dont hear that from Minnesota. Minnesota's problem, like BU's, is the coach has been there too long.
            But BU's recruiting base isn't solely Massachusetts or New England, so that point isn't all that valid, and not comparable to Minnesota. And BU's and Minnesota's coaching situations are not that similar.
            time to write new history

Comment

How is it ridiculous? Cronin gets the guys who can't get into BC or BU and keeps them competitive. The NU team I saw the other night looked just as fast and aggressive as the BU team I've seen this year. BU fell in love with that USNPDT team for a while and for the most part, the players were busts. Sabo, Maiser, McConnell, Miller all underachieved in my opinion and never got better. Ryan Whitney was the exception but he was NHL ready out of high school.
              I agree Cronin has done an outstanding job over at MC, but I used to think Blaise MacDonald at UML was amazing as well. I thought Blaise did a great job in the 08-09year and was thinking, "If he can do this at Lowell imagine what he could do at a different school." Their record this year has me wondering if he "got lucky" with that recruting class or if he can really coach at a high level. (I recognize that you could say the same thing about Parker over the last 5 years).

Can Cronin sustain this? Time will tell. If he can I'd imagine we'll be seeing him at a larger program in time.
              Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

By my count, BC has 8 (Gionta, Boyle, Reasoner, Eaves, Kobasew, Shannon, Gerbe, and Ferriero). Steve Gionta also got a cup of coffee with NJ earlier this year, too. You are right about Michigan having more than any.
                Yeah. BC has 8 and I can think of a few more BU guys. Wilson, Drury, Yip, Bonino, McCarthy, and Van der Gulik have all played in the league this year. I know a coulpe of these guys have been up and down to the AHL and injured but there's more than 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                  I agree Cronin has done an outstanding job over at MC, but I used to think Blaise MacDonald at UML was amazing as well. I thought Blaise did a great job in the 08-09year and was thinking, "If he can do this at Lowell imagine what he could do at a different school." Their record this year has me wondering if he "got lucky" with that recruting class or if he can really coach at a high level. (I recognize that you could say the same thing about Parker over the last 5 years).

Can Cronin sustain this? Time will tell. If he can I'd imagine we'll be seeing him at a larger program in time.
                  NU has so much more to recruit to than Lowell does. The Beanpot, especially. I didnt think Cronin would work at NU, but he's getting the most out of what he can get for players. I agree with you that he may look at brighter pastures. You have to wonder if the CC job opens up (he was an assist there for three years) or the Maine job (hint, hint), he could end up there as he also worked on the bench under Walshy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                    I agree Cronin has done an outstanding job over at MC
                    who are we talking about here?
                    time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      Things would be mighty dull on this site without Jack Parker and BU. At least, for eastern college hockey fans.
                      Is it he's just "too hard" on the kids? I know he's never going to change, but with York being down Comm Ave, why would you choose BU over BC? Aside from the constant suspensions and benching of players, Glass, Bennett, and the Saponari bros. have all been dismissed from the team in the last three years, justified or not. Once word of that stuff gets around wouldn't an 18-21 year old kid go to a place where he'd at least have the impression that he'd get some chances if they made a mistake? Whatever happened with the green line car accident and all the alcohol at BC? After the initial story it just seemed to go away.

Another difference is that Jack appears to be more of a disciplinarian and Jerry appears to be more of a "father figure". You could see that plain as day in the televised pre-game skates prior to the Fenway game. You can also see it on the bench. Jack often screams while Jerry is often calm. Come to think of it, maybe that's why the BC kids stay in school longer?
                      Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

If we're talking about Dennehey at MC, then all I'd have to say is wait a few years. If the Warriors are doing as well in 3 years as they are now, then they're legit. If not, then they're like Lowell, the can't miss team of 2010.
                        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                          Yeah. BC has 8 and I can think of a few more BU guys. Wilson, Drury, Yip, Bonino, McCarthy, and Van der Gulik have all played in the league this year. I know a coulpe of these guys have been up and down to the AHL and injured but there's more than 3.
                          If Marty reasoner counts, so does mike.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Thanks for calling attention to my typo. I meant Mark Dennehy at MC.

Comment

bu is the best
                              Last edited by Hokydad; 02-16-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                ??? Are you drunk?
                                or exhibiting sarcasm?
                                Or channeling Fred smerlas?

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X