Merrimack vs. UMass - Home and Home - Feb. 18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack vs. UMass - Home and Home - Feb. 18-19

Discuss. From a merrimack standpoint I would be upset with anything less than a sweep. but coming off last weekend maybe they have a letdown?

Re: Merrimack vs. UMass - Home and Home - Feb. 18-19

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
    Discuss. From a merrimack standpoint I would be upset with anything less than a sweep. but coming off last weekend maybe they have a letdown?
    I don't think so. In years past, Merrimack would often "play up" to the level of the competition, and when they started to enjoy some success, would end up turning in a subpar effort in a very winnable game.

That has happened this year, but far less often, especially in the 2nd half. The only real letdown has been the UML loss. I think NU has proved they are better than their record. So there are really only two "bad" losses in the books for this season-- at Providence and the home loss to UML.

I think the guys have set their sights higher than just getting in the playoffs, which they've done, or even home ice (five points to clinch now) and they know that every game is the Most Important Game from here on out.

They run the table, which is doable, and they have a good shot at #2 or even #1. If BC sweeps UNH at the end of the season, that gives MC a clear shot at #2, and if they split and BC drops even one point somewhere else, we can have a 3-way tie for first-- where MC owns all the tiebreakers.

Add to that that Maine is still a TUC for NCAA purposes and Merrimack could inch up to 4th or higher in the PWR, making them a #1 seed in a regional. The toughest part will be a sweep at Orono, but I think it's within the realm of possibility.

I think the guys definitely CAN get the sweep at UMass. I also think they probably WILL. UMass won't just roll over, but I think the team can win both games.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
      Add to that that Maine is still a TUC for NCAA purposes and Merrimack could inch up to 4th or higher in the PWR, making them a #1 seed in a regional. The toughest part will be a sweep at Orono, but I think it's within the realm of possibility.
      What does that that mean

Comment

Re: Merrimack vs. UMass - Home and Home - Feb. 18-19

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
        What does that that mean
        Merrimack's head to head record against BC doesn't come into play until they play two more games against Teams Under Consideration (TUCs) according to the NCAA selection committee.

Right now, MC wins 24 comparisons and loses 4-- BC, Minnesota-Duluth, Union and Yale. If MC can split or sweep against Maine, they can flip the BC comparison, which, depending on what the other top teams do, could bring Merrimack as high as 4th in the PWR. Since the NCAA selection committee uses the PWR for seeding, getting to #4 will place them as the #1 seed in one of the regionals, giving them a (theoretically) easier route to the frozen four.

I think Merrimack can take two from UMass and Providence (despite the earlier loss to PC at Schneider). I do think Alfond is a tough place to win, no matter what problems Maine may be having this season.

Comment

Working...
        X