Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dartmouth College Hockey...is there anybody else out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth College Hockey...is there anybody else out there?

Would a Brown sweep put them in the PWR and knock out Quinnipiac? Is there a what-if web site for the PWR?

Comment

Originally posted by Palaeopitus View Post
      Would a Brown sweep put them in the PWR and knock out Quinnipiac? Is there a what-if web site for the PWR?
      This is a great site for "Do-it yourself" rankings. If you want to change the scores of past (or future) games, one of the options towards the bottom of the page is "Game Results." Play around to your heart's content!

(PS Ignore the "Error" that you receive.)

ETA: Here's a link that doesn't use slack.net, because apparently that's having issues. It goes straight for the IP address.
      Last edited by burgie12; 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM. Reason: IP link
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Great site -- thanks.

Quinnipiac is pounding Brown -- it looks like Brown will need to win the next two and then do some damage in the next round to be a TUC.

Better root for Northeastern instead.

Comment

Great weekend of Hockey up here at dartmouth. Both games that I went too (sat and sunday) had me so on edge.

One more win and we should get in.

Comment

Originally posted by jjchurchill View Post
            Great weekend of Hockey up here at dartmouth. Both games that I went too (sat and sunday) had me so on edge.

One more win and we should get in.
            Depends, honestly. I ran a few scenarios and we ended up anywhere from t12th and solidly in to 16th and last team out (again). We really need Michigan to beat Western Michigan to knock them below us. Northeastern winning the Hockey East tournament would also be really, really bad. Alaska beating CC and then losing to NoDak would be nice. CC would drop below us and provide some added cushioning, but Alaska still wouldn't overtake us.

Frankly, it looks like if we beat Cornell, we're fairly safely in, barring an automatic berth by a Northeastern or Alaska-type team. If we lose to Cornell, we're probably on the outside looking in even if we win the consolation game.

Comment

I can speak to the tennis ball tradition. After all, I started it in 1993. My name is Sean Quinn and I was one of the two FiveThirtyEight guys who did all that math and reporting back in 2008 for the election, later working as a White House journalist. I'm not sure which of the two is my bigger claim to fame.

It has nothing to do with any tennis team rivalry. I used to be a PBP guy for Dartmouth hockey and the team was abysmal most of my years there. In the 92-93 season, they started out 1-7-1 but then beat then #4 UNH during the annual holiday tournament just before New Year's. That kind of got them going and they proceeded to win a bunch of games and get back to .500 just as the winter term was getting underway. Suddenly, the team had fans showing up in droves. The season prior, when I was calling a game down at Baker Rink, Princeton fans had done something similar. I was not just a PBP guy but a hardcore fan and was looking for ways to capitalize on the popularity of the team. I led a small group of mischievous, hockey-loving friends in brainstorming something that could be thrown on the ice that wouldn't hurt anyone, wouldn't damage the ice and would be easily and cheaply accessible. There aren't very many things in this category.

Ultimately, we settled on tennis balls, and we tried to figure out how to disseminate the information. We considered going to fraternity house meetings and hadn't yet decided on what to do when I had a further brainstorm very late one night just before bed. Even though it was still only '93, Dartmouth has always been a highly cutting edge computer campus and we all had had email and IM (blitzmail and broadcast, respectively) capabilities. I was an undergraduate adviser on the first floor of Mid-Fayer, and I composed an email in the form of a mock chain mail (forward this along to 20+ people for great happiness or else dire consequences, etc.). I sent the email out one time, to twenty people: my thirteen freshmen and my seven fellow UGAs/AC in the Fayers. This was sent a hair before 3AM on the Wednesday before the Friday game with Princeton. Back then the servers shut down between 3-6am, so nobody was going to read it until the morning. Noon was really about the time it might get going. It was cleverly written and signed Wilson Dunlop. It tapped themes of revenge and honor and wove them into chain mail snark.

At 6pm on Wednesday I checked my email. I'd received it back in my inbox five times. Holy ***ing S***. It was going to be big. If I'd gotten it five times, everyone on campus had received it. I recall walking around overhearing people talking about it. When you're 21 this is a great feeling. The Dartmouth coaching staff, with whom I was in routine contact as PBP guy, found out about the plan Thursday when they saw word of the email in a league-wide ECAC bulletin (which led us to merrily chant "You know what's com-ing!!" toward the Princeton netminder as the game got underway). Publicly they had a quote int he Friday edition of The Dartmouth which said they would prefer the fans not do this. Privately, they LOVED it and made me my own VHS copy of the game as a token of appreciation.

I wasn't calling that particular game, I was happier to be in the stands. As we entered, there were many more campus police than normal, and signs had been posted telling fans not to throw tennis balls. There were large recycling trash cans supposedly for fans to drop off their balls on the way inside. I gotta say, it was pretty fun stuff. Dartmouth then and probably still does have a late-arriving crowd, so I was fearful that the goal would be scored before most fans would be in their seat. I was nervous they wouldn't score a first period goal (the student section is to the opposing goalie's left where Dartmouth shoots twice). I was nervous premature ball-throwing would lead to the later true onslaught resulting in a penalty (I was a fan, didn't want to hurt the team).

The goal couldn't have been more perfect. Midway through the first period, Dartmouth was killing a penalty. Greg Chapman '93 went down to block a point shot, and the rebound went between the point defenders. Captain Chris Clark '93, who could never score on breakaways even in practice, raced for the puck and had a breakaway from the red line in. The crowd, now fully present, rose in unison. Clark roofed it. Roar. Apocalypse of tennis balls. Good thing too, because there were balls in the air a hair early. I personally launched three tennis balls and eleven racquetballs. While I was throwing fourteen motions, the deluge was going full force that whole time. There were easily, easily 1000+ balls on the ice. It was the first goal of the game, and it took about 12 minutes to clean up that volume.

Dartmouth won the game 5-4 in OT, and for the handful of folks who had gotten there a hair late, they unleashed another flurry of balls as the game ended.

Each subsequent year for the next five or six years, I continued to send the one email signed Wilson Dunlop. While my freshmen were still in school, I emailed them. I found other people to email later. During the seventh year, NESN was televising the game because the tennis ball thing had become a thing, and they had me on for a few minutes between periods since I'd driven up from Boston for the game.

I was always pleased that the tradition's origins had gotten a little lost and muddled. That's how you know you have a real tradition. The one we had when we entered was rushing the field during football games, particularly against Harvard. Before matriculation, the dean's office sent us dire warnings of suspensions because little old ladies with wheelchairs had been mangled by the rushing students (hilarious authority lie). I know that there was a big move to eradicate the tennis ball tradition but it makes me very happy to know it lives on.

And to answer the thread's OP, yes, there are some very true-blooded Dartmouth hockey fans out here.
              ____

I actually came on the board today to see if anyone had a handy link to how RPI is calculated. Pending that calculation, it appears Dartmouth would get an at-large berth if Alaska-Anchorage beats Colorado College (but doesn't win their tournament) and if Dartmouth can beat Cornell, since that and a likely final with Yale should probably boost their RPI over a finished UNO and going 1-1 (obviously 2-0 is automatic berth) would boost their TUC over CC to flip both those PairWise comparisons. UNO has a .5327 RPI (and done playing) and Dartmouth's is .5308 at the moment. If CC loses to AA, their TUC record is .4697, and Dartmouth going 1-1 would give them .4705 and flip the PairWise, provided the .5308 to .5260 RPI edge Dartmouth has on CC holds.

As a huge St. Louis Blues fan, there's a minor conflict because Jaden Schwartz is a gifted prospect, our top in the NCAAs and he plays for CC. But Dartmouth hasn't made the NCAA tournament in decades, since before I was a fan. If Dartmouth can thread this needle they'd probably have the 13th or 14th spot. Northeastern getting an auto berth or AA getting an auto berth would hurt.

Comment

Yet another Dartmouth fan here (are we up to double digits on this board yet?) So basically if we beat Cornell, we're in the tourney, and if we lose we gotta hope Yale loses to Colgate and we beat Yale in consolation game? I'm sure there are other random scenarios with ties and upsets in other divisions, but I think these are the most likely outcomes...

Has Dartmouth ever won the ECAC tournament? I know they haven't made the NCAA tournament in decades. Here's hoping for our first berth in 30+ years and placement in the Manchester regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Hentilson View Post
                  Yet another Dartmouth fan here (are we up to double digits on this board yet?) So basically if we beat Cornell, we're in the tourney, and if we lose we gotta hope Yale loses to Colgate and we beat Yale in consolation game?
                  Pretty much, though weird things happen if we beat Cornell and lose to Colgate, too. Assuming we don't win both, we want to face both Cornell and Yale and beat at least one of them.

Has Dartmouth ever won the ECAC tournament?
                  Don't think so. Finished second a couple of times back in the day, I think. But never won it.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Don't think so. Finished second a couple of times back in the day, I think. But never won it.
                    Cornell 12, Yale 1, Colgate 1, Dartmouth 0
                    http://www.tbrw.info/ecac_Tourny/eca...amps_Icon.html

Dartmouth was second in '79 and '80
                    http://www.tbrw.info/ecac_Tourny/eca...t_by_Year.html
                    Give My Regards to Davy...

Comment

Less than 24 hours to get your picks in to the ECAC Pick The Playoffs. Need to be in by 4:30 on Friday. Lots of people MIA.

95virago
                      allnightwong
                      apple2k
                      BigRedBrouhaha
                      bothman
                      Brett Gobe
                      Brian Sullivan
                      cnor79
                      cudmud
                      Dutchfan
                      hockeyplayer1015
                      jmhusker
                      johnk
                      justlookin'
                      Maine-iac
                      number 16
                      NYHockeyguy
                      Onion Man
                      Puckie14
                      redrocker
                      REDRocket
                      Rhamilton
                      Rhett
                      Rjm7272
                      rockandrock44
                      RPIHFH
                      rpihockeyfan13
                      rvd5star69
                      slu fan
                      StayPuftMMcu
                      TchrBill
                      Union93
                      uniondutch21
                      UnionPuckLove
                      UnionTDX04
                      Wholin1
                      bcarlisle
                      unhpuckfan2001
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

For the past three years I've tried to get a Dartmouth thread going to no avail. Haven't bothered to check the forum out this year til now and was surprised as heck to see this. As I'm typing this , Colorado College is beating Alaska three oh. That sucks. We want Alaska to win. Oh well, Lets just go out and win two this weekend and put an end to the waiting and wondering. And to answer your question, Yes we are out here, in this case, in Minnesota

Comment

Less than 12 hours to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs before the puck drops in game 1. Stragglers are:

95virago
                          BigRedBrouhaha
                          bothman
                          Brett Gobe
                          Brian Sullivan
                          cnor79
                          Dutchfan
                          hockeyplayer1015
                          jmhusker
                          johnk
                          Maine-iac
                          number 16
                          NYHockeyguy
                          Onion Man
                          Puckie14
                          redrocker
                          REDRocket
                          Rhamilton
                          rockandrock44
                          RPIHFH
                          rvd5star69
                          StayPuftMMcu
                          TchrBill
                          Union93
                          uniondutch21
                          UnionPuckLove
                          UnionTDX04
                          bcarlisle
                          unhpuckfan2001
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Well, for the third time in the last 10 years, Dartmouth finishes as the last (first?) team out of the tournament, once under the old 12-team format and twice under the 16-team tourney. Not that we can really complain after going 0-5-1 combined against Cornell and Yale, but it's still annoying to get so close once again without getting in.

Comment

sigh... the life of the Dartmouth fan.
                              Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                              University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
                                sigh... the life of the Dartmouth fan.
                                Agreed I was so dejected on Friday. I still say RPI does not deserve to get in...they stopped playing 2 weeks ago. We are also an IVY team we play like 5 or 6 games less then every team in the country. I'll admit we had control of our destiny but I still think we should have got in...I hope our Non conference games next year are challenging (more hockey east teams)

Comment

Working...
                                X