Nearing the end of a quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearing the end of a quest

From Jan 1993 through Dec 1994 I was at Miami of Ohio getting my master's degree. While there I found the old Hockey-L discussion list, where I found a consolidated D-I hockey schedule for the first time. I've been a huge college hockey fan since my undergrad days at Wisconsin ('81-'84).

Somewhere around that time I remember seeing stories in the national media about fans of the NFL and MLB who were trying to see games at every venue in one season. Several times I took the consolidated schedules and tried to come up with a route that would let me visit every D-I team in one year. However, having to work, that wasn't necessarily possible - but was great fodder for "if I won the lottery" fantasies.

In about Jan of 2003 Fairfield U announced that the '02-'03 season would be their last at the D-I level. I decided I wanted to see them at home before they quit, and set my sights on being at their last home game (8 Mar 03). So that Saturday my daughter and I drove from Dayton, OH to Philadelphia to pick up a grad school friend of mine, then on to Bridgeport, CT to watch Iona beat Fairfield 6-0. We headed back to Philly, overnighted wiht my friend, then drove back to Dayton on Sunday. And so was born my quest to see all D-I programs on their home ice - though not necessarily in one season.

Since then, I've seen Wayne State (men) and Findlay before they quit D-I. I did get to see Kent St. and UIC as visitors while at Miami, but not on their home rinks. The weekend of Feb 18-19 will complete this part of my quest. The last two venues on my list (which includes Syracuse, since they have a D-I women's program) are Holy Cross and Mass-Lowell. I have tickets for each - HC on Friday and UML on Saturday.

I've made it to a few - though not all - Frozen Fours along the way, plus a few NCAA regionals. I've seen a lot of programs over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, so have missed the full student-infused experience at times. My list of rinks where I've seen NCAA D-I rinks is over 70, including the old Goggin at Miami and the "Great Dane" in Wisconsin.

My traveling souvenir is my USCHO hat with almost 70 pins on it - each one placed there when I attended the game.

So, if you're in the area, I'd love to meet folks from USCHO while at HC and UML next weekend. I'll be in my hat and my "vintage" 1985 Wisconsin fan-wear genuine imitation hockey jersey (white with red letters). I make it a point to wander the concourse between periods.

Thanks for the podium and your time,

Steve G

Re: Nearing the end of a quest

Pretty amazing man. After seeing all the rinks you have I'm interested in what you thought of our humble abode, the TD Bank Sports Center. I, myself, am a traditionalist so I find likes and dislikes when it comes to the Bank. But I'm dying to hear what the arena expert, yourself, has to think.

Comment

You shouldn't be too hard to spot Saturday.
      Originally posted by glazewsr View Post
      From Jan 1993 through Dec 1994 I was at Miami of Ohio getting my master's degree. While there I found the old Hockey-L discussion list, where I found a consolidated D-I hockey schedule for the first time. I've been a huge college hockey fan since my undergrad days at Wisconsin ('81-'84).

Somewhere around that time I remember seeing stories in the national media about fans of the NFL and MLB who were trying to see games at every venue in one season. Several times I took the consolidated schedules and tried to come up with a route that would let me visit every D-I team in one year. However, having to work, that wasn't necessarily possible - but was great fodder for "if I won the lottery" fantasies.

In about Jan of 2003 Fairfield U announced that the '02-'03 season would be their last at the D-I level. I decided I wanted to see them at home before they quit, and set my sights on being at their last home game (8 Mar 03). So that Saturday my daughter and I drove from Dayton, OH to Philadelphia to pick up a grad school friend of mine, then on to Bridgeport, CT to watch Iona beat Fairfield 6-0. We headed back to Philly, overnighted wiht my friend, then drove back to Dayton on Sunday. And so was born my quest to see all D-I programs on their home ice - though not necessarily in one season.

Since then, I've seen Wayne State (men) and Findlay before they quit D-I. I did get to see Kent St. and UIC as visitors while at Miami, but not on their home rinks. The weekend of Feb 18-19 will complete this part of my quest. The last two venues on my list (which includes Syracuse, since they have a D-I women's program) are Holy Cross and Mass-Lowell. I have tickets for each - HC on Friday and UML on Saturday.

I've made it to a few - though not all - Frozen Fours along the way, plus a few NCAA regionals. I've seen a lot of programs over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, so have missed the full student-infused experience at times. My list of rinks where I've seen NCAA D-I rinks is over 70, including the old Goggin at Miami and the "Great Dane" in Wisconsin.

My traveling souvenir is my USCHO hat with almost 70 pins on it - each one placed there when I attended the game.

So, if you're in the area, I'd love to meet folks from USCHO while at HC and UML next weekend. I'll be in my hat and my "vintage" 1985 Wisconsin fan-wear genuine imitation hockey jersey (white with red letters). I make it a point to wander the concourse between periods.

Steve G

Comment

Have you been to the new Bemidji State and UMD rinks?
        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Steve G
          If you go to Tennilly (where SU women play), bring your skates and skate in the studio rink next to the game rink while you watch part of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
            Pretty amazing man. After seeing all the rinks you have I'm interested in what you thought of our humble abode, the TD Bank Sports Center. I, myself, am a traditionalist so I find likes and dislikes when it comes to the Bank. But I'm dying to hear what the arena expert, yourself, has to think.
            It's not a lot different from rinks of similar age and size - which is good and bad. On the good side, you know what you get - good facilities (bathrooms, concessions, parking); on the bad side you know what you get - from inside, ignoring the markings on the rink, you're not sure if you're at Magness (Denver), Von Braun (Huntsville), Mullins (UMass), etc.

The rinks have been interesting; they're certainly part of the sub-plot. I love Appleton's wooden seats (why is this not the norm?? does anyone like sitting on aluminum in the winter?). I loved hating Yost - truly a barn. The whale at Yale and Achilles at Union are striking. The green marble at the new Ralph is uniquely opulent. The Schott at Ohio State and Qwest at Omaha are places for sound to die because, even though 6,000 fans is great, a 2/3 empty rink really isn't. The Kohl and Mariucci just rocked when I was there. And on the other side of the tracks you get Olympia Center (AIC), the JAR (Bentley), and the MIP (Sacred Heart) that would make pretty pathetic practice rinks at WCHA schools.

But you know what really makes a college hockey game?? The pep band. I have yet to attend a game where the pep band outshone the fans - great fans are greater with a pep band. No band always means little student support. Give me Michigan Tech's band over UNOs Qwest Center any day! The rinks at Michigan State, UMass, and Denver are about the same; MSU's band and students make it (to me) better than the other two. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
              Have you been to the new Bemidji State and UMD rinks?
              Nope; I'm debating trying to make the last week of the WCHA season this year to both - as both are home series.

And I have been to Tennity (and the Onondonga War Memorial) to see Syracuse women play. I liked the mini-rink right next to the game rink! I also found it interesting and slightly amusing that all the staff referred to the game as "the Divison One game" not "the women's hockey game" or something similar. I'm not sure if that was awe or if they were told to refer to it that way.

I also have a nice collection of game programs and ticket stubs that I have to mount. Maybe I can post a picture someday.

Comment

I'm envious... sounds like it's been a real fun ride!
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                Northeast Regional:
                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

So, you're ending it at Lowell? Have you contacted UML's marketing staff? (edit: I suppose if you did, that'd be self-congratulating... which would be dumb.) Maybe get you on the ice or something? I wish I were up there... would be cool to talk to a guy who has been all over the place... seems as much of a chance to see the country as it is anything else.

Good luck and enjoy.
                  Last edited by Patman; 02-12-2011, 08:23 PM.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                  X