X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

*****http://www.undhockey.net/alaska.jpg******

Alaska comes in at #47. They are a program on the rise, after last year's run to the NCAA Tournament...their first in program history. Before last year, they would not have cracked the top 50. The Nanooks have nearly a 30% winning percentage against teams in the NCAA Tournament.

#47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
    #48 Nebraska Omaha - 2.9092 Points
    #49 Minnesota State - 2.3131 points
    #50 Alabama Huntsville - 1.9469 Points
    #51 Army - 1.3604 points
    #52 Union - 0.6174 points
    #53 UConn - 0.1921 Points
    #54 Sacred Heart - 0.1703 Points
    #55 Bentley - .0279 points
    #56 Robert Morris - .0245 points
    #57 Canisius - .0205 points
    #58 American International - .0061 points
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by AntiActionJoe View Post
      Don't let this joker with his math and statistics fool you. AIC is a quality program that is going places. Schools that do not schedule time with this teams are just cowardly. They do not want to be at the end of our sting because losing to us would just make the other team be ashamed of themselves all year.
      Exactly. I mean that exact thing happened to RIT this year after losing @ AIC in December.

Oh wait. No. They just got ****ed and haven't lost an AHA game since. Culminating in clinching Atlantic Hockey tonight.

Comment

Good list. Keep them coming!
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

*****http://www.undhockey.net/umass.jpg******

The UMass Minutemen made the most of their one NCAA Tournament appearance in 2007, knocking off #1 seed Clarkson in overtime before falling to Maine in the Quarterfinals. Since joining Hockey East, UMass has struggled, putting up only one 20+ win season (2007). However, they play a quality schedule every season, and if they can put together more 20+ win seasons, I would anticipate them moving up the list.

#46 Massachusetts - 3.0035 Points
          #47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
          #51 Army - 1.3604 points
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            *****http://www.undhockey.net/uno.jpg******

The Mavericks made their lone appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 2006, but that looks to change this year. Of the teams in the bottom 1/3 of this ranking, the Mavericks had the best winning percentage against former NCAA Champions (42.7%). If the Mavericks make a run in the NCAA Tournament they will most likely move up this offseason. For now, they are #48.

#51 Army - 1.3604 points
            Yeeooww!

That hurts.

Can't argue, though. We just flat-out ain't been around long enough. We got off to a bang up start as a program, though:

It might be forgotten that UNO was actually fairly successful pretty quickly. Some highlights:

* Beat both Denver and Maine in the Mavericks' inaugural season (1997-1998).
            * A surprise run to the championship game in the program's first season of CCHA play (1999-2000).
            * 24 wins in 2000-2001, the program's first winning season.
            * Climbed as high as No. 5 in the polls (in 2001-2002).
            * After some doldrums from 2002-2004 (21-48-10), a bounce-back season of 19-16-4 in 2004-2005, which netted Mike Kemp CCHA coach-of-the-year honors.
            * Continued improvement in 2005-2006 leading to the program's first NCAA tournament bid.
            * 131 consecutive sellouts at the Civic Auditorium (capacity 8,124), UNO's home ice for the first six years.
            * Five first or second-team All-American selections by three players (Greg Zanon, Jeff Hoggan, Scott Parse) in the first 12 years of the program

Alas, Mike Kemp personified the Peter Principle. After the NCAA appearance, things went downhill. The Mavs didn't build on that success and went 50-52-20 over Kemp's final three seasons.

Thanks for the kind words we did get. Our lot in life is improving rapidly.
            Last edited by Red Cows; 02-13-2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

The last I remember was CAH doing it about 6 years or so ago. And, iirc, they didn't use a formula, just what they thought it should be.
              When I did it, it was some formula and some gut instinct. Since I did this five years ago, it is time for an update. Good Luck to you.
              Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

This should be named "The Greatest Programs of All-Time Who Happen to Still Sponsor Varsity Ice Hockey Programs in 2011: #1-#58". Or "tGPoATWHtSSVIHP"... whatever.

I'd like to see how the defunct programs would have fared in your fomula. Since making the NCAA tourney since to earn a big scoring bump, I imagine Wayne State would have wound up ahead of ahead of the programs who have yet to dance. Since defeating former National Champions seems to be worth something in your rankings, I'd like to see how teams who used to play in major conferences, like Penn, Kent State, and Illinois-Chicago would have fared with their many opportunities. Is there a bonus for winning your conference, even if it dodn't result in an autobid? If so, Saint Louis's early domination of the pre-Big 4 CCHA could have earned some major points. It would be interesting to see if their years of absence has allowed AIC to surpass Fairfield and Iona. I'd like to see a list with Findlay in dead last.

Interesting stuff though... I'd like to know more about the methodology after the countdown concludes.
                BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                  This should be named "The Greatest Programs of All-Time Who Happen to Still Sponsor Varsity Ice Hockey Programs in 2011: #1-#58"...I'd like to see how the defunct programs would have fared in your fomula.
                  Yes, if this this is to truly be an all-time list you need to include all teams that played DI hockey. Of course it might get messy with teams that only played pre-divisions, like Gonzaga, USC, Illinios, Marquette, etc., or teams now DIII, like Middlebury and Colby.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Follow the money. The most successful college hockey programs are the ones that received the most money. {BTW: This is the essence of capitalism.] If you don't believe it check and see which college hockey programs have received the largest infusions of capital.
                    College hockey isn't in Kansas anymore, not since the NCAA finessed amateur athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                      When I did it, it was some formula and some gut instinct. Since I did this five years ago, it is time for an update. Good Luck to you.
                      Thanks for the clarification, and for the best wishes. I'm sure I'll encounter plenty of upset people from most fanbases...minus one.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Yes, if this this is to truly be an all-time list you need to include all teams that played DI hockey. Of course it might get messy with teams that only played pre-divisions, like Gonzaga, USC, Illinios, Marquette, etc., or teams now DIII, like Middlebury and Colby.

Sean
                        Honestly, if I could find Media Guides from after their last season, I could include them in the rankings. If you can find digital copies (or physical copies) of each of the teams, I'll gladly go through them and get the data I need to put them in the formula. I guess we would first need a list of all the defunct/no longer d-1 programs and then get the information/media guides. My guess is that it would be terribly difficult to 1) come up with a list of every program and then 2) find the media guides/information that included all the data that we would need.

Again though, if you can find it, let me know, and I'll put in the work to include them in the formula. For now, I'm going to continue with just the current programs.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                          This should be named "The Greatest Programs of All-Time Who Happen to Still Sponsor Varsity Ice Hockey Programs in 2011: #1-#58". Or "tGPoATWHtSSVIHP"... whatever.

I'd like to see how the defunct programs would have fared in your fomula. Since making the NCAA tourney since to earn a big scoring bump, I imagine Wayne State would have wound up ahead of ahead of the programs who have yet to dance. Since defeating former National Champions seems to be worth something in your rankings, I'd like to see how teams who used to play in major conferences, like Penn, Kent State, and Illinois-Chicago would have fared with their many opportunities. Is there a bonus for winning your conference, even if it dodn't result in an autobid? If so, Saint Louis's early domination of the pre-Big 4 CCHA could have earned some major points. It would be interesting to see if their years of absence has allowed AIC to surpass Fairfield and Iona. I'd like to see a list with Findlay in dead last.

Interesting stuff though... I'd like to know more about the methodology after the countdown concludes.
                          I'll definitely go over the methodology after the countdown concludes. As for conference titles, there is a part of the formula that accounts for that.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Honestly, if I could find Media Guides from after their last season, I could include them in the rankings. If you can find digital copies (or physical copies) of each of the teams, I'll gladly go through them and get the data I need to put them in the formula. I guess we would first need a list of all the defunct/no longer d-1 programs and then get the information/media guides. My guess is that it would be terribly difficult to 1) come up with a list of every program and then 2) find the media guides/information that included all the data that we would need.

Again though, if you can find it, let me know, and I'll put in the work to include them in the formula. For now, I'm going to continue with just the current programs.
                            Here is a list of defunct Division I programs I culled from a list over on the College Hockey Historical Archives website.

Fairfield (Fairfield, Connecticut)
                            Findlay (Findlay, Ohio)
                            Illinois-Chicago (Chicago, Illinois)
                            Iona (New Rochelle, New York)
                            Kent State (Kent, Ohio)
                            Northern Arizona (Flagstaff, Arizona)
                            Ohio University (Athens, Ohio)
                            Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
                            St. Louis (St. Louis, Missouri)
                            U.S. International (San Diego, California)
                            Wayne State (Detroit, Michigan)

I'll will see what information I can find about them, but if anyone else happens to have the information available please speak up and send it to Fighting Sioux 23.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              Here is a list of defunct Division I programs I culled from a list over on the College Hockey Historical Archives website.

Fairfield (Fairfield, Connecticut)
                              Findlay (Findlay, Ohio)
                              Illinois-Chicago (Chicago, Illinois)
                              Iona (New Rochelle, New York)
                              Kent State (Kent, Ohio)
                              Northern Arizona (Flagstaff, Arizona)
                              Ohio University (Athens, Ohio)
                              Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
                              St. Louis (St. Louis, Missouri)
                              U.S. International (San Diego, California)
                              Wayne State (Detroit, Michigan)

I'll will see what information I can find about them, but if anyone else happens to have the information available please speak up and send it to Fighting Sioux 23.

Sean
                              What about all of the ECAC schools who were eligible for the playoffs the first three years before ECAC-II broke off?. http://www.augenblick.org/chha/ecac_stn.html Colby even made the playoffs the first year and won their first-round game against RPI.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                What about all of the ECAC schools who were eligible for the playoffs the first three years before ECAC-II broke off?. http://www.augenblick.org/chha/ecac_stn.html Colby even made the playoffs the first year and won their first-round game against RPI.
                                I mentioned the pre-division teams in my original post, but I thought I would start with the 'easier' known DI programs.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X