Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota... the March past March

Originally posted by Gophernation View Post
    The SUE have a good team but I really doubt they make it to the frozen four, they wont win the the WCHA F5, they might make it to F5 final game but they will not win! Like I said they have a solid team but its not going to happen this year, the team that wins the regular season title rarely wins the F5. The reason the SUE are so good from year to year is you have to look where they are getting their players from, Canada. Canadien hockey is the best hockey in the world right now and they produce the most talented kids right now. Hey when you have to change your name you could change it to team Canada it would fit pretty good! Have the Canadian flag as your logo change your colors to red and white like wisconsin.
    When did USCHO make you change your name from Happy?
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

The SUE have a good team but I really doubt they make it to the frozen four, they wont win the the WCHA F5, they might make it to F5 final game but they will not win! Like I said they have a solid team but its not going to happen this year, the team that wins the regular season title rarely wins the F5. The reason the SUE are so good from year to year is you have to look where they are getting their players from, Canada. Canadien hockey is the best hockey in the world right now and they produce the most talented kids right now. Hey when you have to change your name you could change it to team Canada it would fit pretty good! Have the Canadian flag as your logo change your colors to red and white like wisconsin.
      You are gona have to troll a little harder.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
        {sigh}, I'm as excited as everyone else about the chance to win the McNaughton this weekend but let's stop all this "#8 is in the bag" business and just enjoy what the boys are able to accomplish this year. Jesus it's starting to sound like a Yael* thread in here.
        Who is saying that #8 is in the bag?

Originally posted by jk View Post
        That said, next year will be another huge challenge, with seven important seniors and perhaps a few underclassmen leaving.
        Yeah, next year might be a difficult one.
        But crazier things have happened...just look at what DU lost last year and they had a great season. Grimaldi leads a great group of recruits for next season and he could definitely have a Zucker-like year.

The SUE have a good team but I really doubt they make it to the frozen four, they wont win the the WCHA F5, they might make it to F5 final game but they will not win!
        Bitter much?

The reason the SUE are so good from year to year is you have to look where they are getting their players from, Canada.
        You do realize that the majority of UND's roster is from the USA, don't you?
        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Gophernation View Post
          ahhhhh....that's some funny stuff, but I'll bite since less than half are from Canada and the Sioux have players from 8 different states. Anyway, no need to argue since North Dakota has proven it's consistently one of the best programs in the nation. MN is, too, but it's sweet ending their season like the Sioux have done lately.
          Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
          INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Thanks fs23 i was thinking the 87 team did it, but wasnt for sure!!!
            Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

That might be Brent in disguise...
              Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

BC vs. UND on April 9th in St. Paul. Count on it.

Comment

Here's some number that may make the Sioux want to tank this weekend, and hope Denver sweeps so that you share the MacNaughton:

The last team to win the MacNaughton outright and win the National Title was Northern Michigan in 1991. (and Wisconsin also did it in 1990)

The last two teams to win the MacNaughton and the National Title in the same year shared the MacNaughton. In 1997 North Dakota won the title and Co-Champion Minnesota won 1 NCAA game. In 2005 Denver beat Co-Champion Colorado College in the Frozen Four on their way to the National Title.

There have been 17 outright MacNaughton Champions since 1991. Colorado College missed the NCAA Tournament entirely in 1994. In the 16 NCAA Appearances by outright champions since 1991, the combined record is 8-16. 10 teams lost the first NCAA game they played and only Colorado College in 1996 and North Dakota in 2001 made it to the Frozen Four (both lost the title game in OT.)
                  SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                  UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                  Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                  Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                  UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                  UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                    Don't forget to keep the votes coming!

http://www.hobeybakeraward.com

seniorclassaward.com
                    Bump
                    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                      BC vs. UND on April 9th in St. Paul. Count on it.
                      Not going to happen unless one of these teams falls a spot in the Pairwise. If they stay the same the first time they would meet would be in the Frozen Four semi-finals on April 7th. The reality is the BC should win it all again this year. They pretty much had the whole team back from last year's national championship. I'm thinking anything less than a national championship for BC this year would be a huge disappointment

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                        Here's some number that may make the Sioux want to tank this weekend, and hope Denver sweeps so that you share the MacNaughton:

The last team to win the MacNaughton outright and win the National Title was Northern Michigan in 1991. (and Wisconsin also did it in 1990)
                        Then instead of tanking we want to rewrite history.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                          #8 is in the bag!!!!! Just adding credibility to cross cheque's post.
                          I refuse to let facts interfere with my opinion!
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

The last two teams to win the MacNaughton and the National Title in the same year shared the MacNaughton. In 1997 North Dakota won the title and Co-Champion Minnesota won 1 NCAA game. In 2005 Denver beat Co-Champion Colorado College in the Frozen Four on their way to the National Title.

There have been 17 outright MacNaughton Champions since 1991. Colorado College missed the NCAA Tournament entirely in 1994. In the 16 NCAA Appearances by outright champions since 1991, the combined record is 8-16. 10 teams lost the first NCAA game they played and only Colorado College in 1996 and North Dakota in 2001 made it to the Frozen Four (both lost the title game in OT.)
                            What is also interesting is that EVERY time the WCHA Championship was shared, one of the two teams went on to win the National Championship. Also, when teams win the WCHA Championship outright AND the tournament title, they have a lot more success...

1962 Michigan Tech - National Champions
                            1977 Wisconsin - National Champions
                            1984 Minnesota Duluth - National Runner Up
                            1985 Minnesota Duluth - Frozen Four - 3rd place
                            1986 Denver - Frozen Four - 4th place
                            1987 North Dakota - National Champions
                            1990 Wisconsin - National Champions
                            1991 Northern Michigan - National Champions
                            2002 Denver - Regional Finals
                            2007 Minnesota - Regional Finals

That's an NCAA Tournament Record of 22-5. Not too bad.

Also of note, is that 35 WCHA Teams won the National Championship. More often than not they won some piece of conference hardware (29 out of 35):

1952 Michigan - tied for 2nd in WCHA
                            1953 Michigan - Shared WCHA Championship
                            1955 Michigan - 2nd in WCHA
                            1956 Michigan - Won WCHA Championship
                            1957 CC - Won WCHA Championship
                            1958 Denver - Shared WCHA Championship
                            1960 Denver - Won WCHA Championship and Co-Tournament Champions
                            1961 Denver - Won WCHA Championship and Co-Tournament Champions
                            1962 Michigan Tech - Won WCHA Championship and Tournament Champions
                            1963 North Dakota - Shared WCHA Championship
                            1964 Michigan - Won WCHA Championship
                            1965 Michigan Tech - Won Tournament Championship
                            1966 Michigan State - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1968 Denver - Won WCHA Championship, and Co-Tournament Champions
                            1969 Denver - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1973 Wisconsin - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1974 Minnesota - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1975 Michigan Tech - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1976 Minnesota - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1977 Wisconsin - Won WCHA Championship and Tournament Championship
                            1979 Minnesota - Co-Tournament Champions
                            1980 North Dakota - Won WCHA Championship and Co-Tournament Champions
                            1981 Wisconsin - Tied for 2nd in WCHA
                            1982 North Dakota - Won WCHA Championship
                            1983 Wisconsin - Won Tournament Championship
                            1987 North Dakota - Won WCHA Championship, and Tournament Championship
                            1990 Wisconsin - Won WCHA Championship, and Tournament Championship
                            1991 Northern Michigan - Won WCHA Championship, and Tournament Championship
                            1997 North Dakota - Shared WCHA Championship and Won Tournament Championship
                            2000 North Dakota - Won Tournament Championship
                            2002 Minnesota - 3rd in WCHA (2nd in Final Five)
                            2003 Minnesota - Won Tournament Championship
                            2004 Denver - Tied for 4th in WCHA (failed to make Final Five)
                            2005 Denver - Shared WCHA Championship, Won Tournament Championship
                            2006 Wisconsin - Tied for 2nd in WCHA (3rd in Final Five)

What does that mean? You are better off winning some hardware going into the NCAA Tournament than none.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              What does that mean? You are better off winning some hardware going into the NCAA Tournament than none.
                              Of course that's true because good teams win titles and I do think the Sioux are certainly one of the country's top 3 teams this year. I just think its interesting how relatively poorly outright MacNaughton cup winners have done in the last two decades.
                              SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                              UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                              Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                              Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                              UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                              UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Of course that's true because good teams win titles and I do think the Sioux are certainly one of the country's top 3 teams this year. I just think its interesting how relatively poorly outright MacNaughton cup winners have done in the last two decades.
                                I was mostly responding to the part of your post that said we should hope for DU to sweep and that we get swept. We all know the difficulties recently of winning the MacNaughton AND the National Tournament. You could bring up the same stats about the team ranked #1 at the end of the season and winning the National Tournament...it just doesn't happen very often.

That being said, look at the records of teams winning the MacNaughton outright and the Tournament Title outright. 80% of the time they go to the Frozen Four and half the time they win it all. Looks like we'll just have to win the Broadmoor again this year to have any chance
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X