#6 UNH, Home and Home with #12 Merrimack, Fri 2/11 Sat 2/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: #6 UNH, Home and Home with #12 Merrimack, Fri 2/11 Sat 2/12

FWIW, I have yet to see a dirtier play in College Hockey than Puke Guite's hit from behind on Mowers in 1997

Comment

In the words of Gru....KNOCKED OOOVVVEEERRR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2T7i...eature=related
      Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Congratulations, Merrimack. You have accomplished much this season. If you aren't playing BC for the HE championship in March, I'd be astonished. You and the Eagles are clearly the best right now. Hope DaCosta returns to the ice soon.
        We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
        ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
        --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
          I don't see much irony here. I see that a player got hurt last night, maybe/maybe not due to an intentional act. I trust Umile to do the right thing if he believes that DeSimone was reckless, and for HE to properly review it and if called for, to hand out a punishment that is appropriate to the offense. Quite frankly, nothing else really matters -- including your perceptions (or anybody else's) as to who is considered a dirty team, has a fan base that "beetches" about dirty play, etc. etc. "Glass houses" and all that.
          I guess probably Smeaves wasnt suspended huh? And if you cant see the irony, you must be blind. In any event, we probably wont be hearing UHN fans whining about other teams being overly dirty in the future, eh? Glass houses is right
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            I guess probably Smeaves wasnt suspended huh? And if you cant see the irony, you must be blind. In any event, we probably wont be hearing UHN fans whining about other teams being overly dirty in the future, eh? Glass houses is right
            Probably because it wasn't a dirty play, but don't let facts get in the way of a perfectly terrible argument.
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              Admittedly my view is skewed as a sit in a corner and the play was at center ice, and the motion of the skaters was essentially parallel to the lines. However I was watching the area of the play - even though off the puck. From my angle there was a bunch of traffic and it didn't seem like either player had time to setup a leg check. Generally leg checks happen when a player has the puck and has the other guy beat and a leg is stuck out to trip up the player, most times to stop a scoring chance. This didn't look to be that style of play.
              I've seen the replay several times now and it was exactly that kind of play. The difference being that DaCosta was not going in on a scoring chance, he was just heading to gain the red line, probably for a dump-in and a line change. The rest of his linemates were heading for the change. However, the rest is exactly like that-- DeSimone tried to line DaCosta up, failed, and stuck the leg out to avoid whizzing past him into the Merrimack defensive end. DeSimone's leg is clearly stuck out to contact DaCosta, and had it not, there would have been no contact.

Originally posted by JB View Post
              A guy near me seemed to think DeSimone was pushed-squeezed toward DeCosta, didn’t look that way to me. From my angle a leg could have been "stuck out" and it would have been tough to tell. Seems a weird spot for an intentional leg check and my first impression was it was just a crappy play where to players got tangled.
              There was another Merrimack player to DeSimone's right, heading to the bench, but I think if you watch the replay you'll conclude it was largely incidental-- in fact, had DeSimone been pushed by the Merrimack player it would have helped him make the hit. As it is, the leg was the only point of contact.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                I've seen the replay several times now and it was exactly that kind of play. The difference being that DaCosta was not going in on a scoring chance, he was just heading to gain the red line, probably for a dump-in and a line change. The rest of his linemates were heading for the change. However, the rest is exactly like that-- DeSimone tried to line DaCosta up, failed, and stuck the leg out to avoid whizzing past him into the Merrimack defensive end. DeSimone's leg is clearly stuck out to contact DaCosta, and had it not, there would have been no contact.

There was another Merrimack player to DeSimone's right, heading to the bench, but I think if you watch the replay you'll conclude it was largely incidental-- in fact, had DeSimone been pushed by the Merrimack player it would have helped him make the hit. As it is, the leg was the only point of contact.
                What did you see the replay on, ESPN?

Comment

I've seen the replay several times now ...
                  How would an interested fan gain access to this video that you have viewed?

DeSimone tried to line DaCosta up, failed, and stuck the leg out to avoid whizzing past him into the Merrimack defensive end. DeSimone's leg is clearly stuck out to contact DaCosta, and had it not, there would have been no contact....
                  Could you clarify - I'm not sure what you mean by "stuck his leg out to avoid whizzing past him into the Merrimack defensive end"? Was he trying to plant a skate to change directions back into the neutral zone? It's hard to figure out what you think DeSimone's intent was. Thanks.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Great weekend for MC. Enjoyed the B2B broadcast-- not so much your announcer though. Best of luck the rest of the way. Perhaps UNH will see you again in Boston and/or Manchester.
                    GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

That was one hell of a college hockey game I saw tonight. Had bit and pieces of everything. No questioning the offensive skills of these two teams.

UNH lost this game on lazy play in the defensive zone....lots and lots of suspect passes by the defensive not named Kessel. I thought they had awful time at the faceoff dot. I'd like to know the actual faceoffs, but it sure seems that they were down big on their end. Credit to them for the PP run to tie it.

Merrimack is an awfully lucky team that they didn't gift-wrap the game back to UNH after the late second period brew-ha-ha. That's wasn't the time or place to drop the gloves and goon it up with a two-goal lead. They could go very far this season if DaCosta isn't several hurt. I did see him on crutches so one can only hope for the best.

Lots of shots...good overall play, and an entertaing game...imagine if this we was on NESN. I've never seen Merrimack erupt like that after the OT goal.

I though the UNH star should have went to DiGiorlamo...both he and Cannata had pretty solid games.

Note to my team: See what happens when you throw the puck at and go to the net.
                      - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Well, the Merrimack players clearly thought that Desimone did it intentionally. After UNH tied the game, they went after Desimone. He received several cross checks to the head in the Merrimack zone along the boards.

Then there was a blatant leg check on Thompson attempting to enter the offensive zone, in what would appear to be in the nature of "an eye for an eye." Merrimack also took a couple other runs at Thompson. In fact, after the leg check, Thompson slowly skated back to the bench, letting the ref know his displeasure. This sequence resulted in the "too many" penalty on UNH.
                        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                          Well, the Merrimack players clearly thought that Desimone did it intentionally. After UNH tied the game, they went after Desimone. He received several cross checks to the head in the Merrimack zone along the boards.

Then there was a blatant leg check on Thompson attempting to enter the offensive zone, in what would appear to be in the nature of "an eye for an eye." Merrimack also took a couple other runs at Thompson. In fact, after the leg check, Thompson slowly skated back to the bench, letting the ref know his displeasure. This sequence resulted in the "too many" penalty on UNH.
                          Sad. Hope the college game doesn't devolve into what happens in the NHL night in and night out.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                            What did you see the replay on, ESPN?
                            Rumor has it, it was shown several times on the B2 network between the 2nd and 3rd period.
                            As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post

boo hoo get over yourselves. You lost Deal with it. Thompson seemed to be walking without crutches after the game. Can't say the same for DaCosta

Comment

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
                                boo hoo get over yourselves. You lost Deal with it. Thompson seemed to be walking without crutches after the game. Can't say the same for DaCosta
                                Dope.
                                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Working...
                                X