PDA

View Full Version : D-III All-Americans Watch

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

PrezdeJohnson09
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
As per usual in February of every season, I'll fire this thread up again.

I'll only do Eastern teams since those are the teams I have watched most and are most familiar with. If someone would like to do the west, by all means ago ahead and do it.

Here's my picks right now for the All-Americans. I'll update this list every week if I feel it needs to be changed etc.

East 1st Team:

F.Josh Harris, Castleton
F.Daniel Weiniger, Bowdoin
F.Kevin Willer/Darcy Vallaincourt, Elmira (I can't decide which!)
D.Kyle Shearer-Hardy, Bowdoin
D.Joe Houk, Hamilton
G.Paul Beckwith, Oswego

East 2nd Team:

F.Jordan Oye, Fredonia
F.Eric Satim, Plattsburgh
F.Jeremiah Ketts, Johnson & Wales
D.Paul Conter, Southern Maine
D.Danny Scagnelli, Geneseo
G.Ryan Purdy, Williams

Those are the picks for this week.

hockeyfan77
02-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Good call on adding Conter. He is a threat to go end to end every time he touches the puck.

theburgh
02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
East 1st team:
F Ian Boots - Oswego
F Eric Satim - Plattsburgh State
F Darcy Vaillancourt - Elmira
D Kyle Shearer-Hardy - Bowdoin
D Greg Eskedjian - Norwich
G Paul Beckwith - Oswego

East 2nd team:
F Jordan Oye - Fredonia
F Josh Harris - Castelton
F Daniel Weiniger - Bowdoin
D Paul Conter - Southern Maine
D Danny Scagnelli - Geneseo
G Ryan Purdy - Williams

The Real Georgia Peach
02-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Where's the love for Kyle Thomas? Every game I've seen so far has shown him to be the premier skater on the ice. His forechecking is also fun to watch. Also, (I hate to admit it), but Drolet from Middlebury deserves a spot, too.

neumyer
02-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Where's the love for Kyle Thomas? Every game I've seen so far has shown him to be the premier skater on the ice. His forechecking is also fun to watch. Also, (I hate to admit it), but Drolet from Middlebury deserves a spot, too.Kyle Thomas has to be there somewhere! Probably first team!

Rayolite
02-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Cappodano SSC ??

hawk
02-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Looking at Oswego, Norwich, and Plattsburgh only Ian Boots, Eric Satim and Scott Schroeder were in the top 30 of D3 scoring stats. All are outstanding all around players and don't have many easy games to pad there stats. You got to impressed by Castleton having 3 players in the top 30, John Harris (#1), Stuart stefan (#2), and Justin Alanzo (#24). Kyle Thomas 3 goal game against Middlebury was the most dominate by a single player I have seen this year.

theburgh
02-06-2011, 09:35 AM
I've said it for a few years now but i think Plattsburgh Eric Satim has always been well overlooked. He probably has some of the best mitts in the country, I absolutely love watching him play. Ever since his freshman year he has been dominant for the Cards. This year especially, nearly 50% of his goals are game winners, 2nd best in the nation.

The Kyle Thomas domination vs Midd was absolutely incredible too!!

PrezdeJohnson09
02-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Where's the love for Kyle Thomas? Every game I've seen so far has shown him to be the premier skater on the ice. His forechecking is also fun to watch. Also, (I hate to admit it), but Drolet from Middlebury deserves a spot, too.

There is no doubt that Kyle Thomas has the tools to dominate absolute anyone in the country and the Middlebury game was a prime example. He was a man possessed on the ice. It was one of the finest single-game performances I've ever seen. Literally every time he touched the puck you knew something good was going to happen.

However, Thomas:

A. Doesn't have the numbers right now to get that recognition from coaches who aren't in the Interlock and can see him play.
B. Has been inconsistent this season. Granted I know he's been a little banged up at times too.

Now, if Kyle keeps this up over the last four games of the regular season and has a good playoffs, maybe he can get his name up there. But, right now, trying to stay objective, I don't see it..

sticksnstones
02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Eric Satim doesn't have the numbers to be a first-team All-American. Sure, he's got great hands and skill, but how many other teams that Plattsburgh doesn't play know that? I think both Vaillancourt AND Willer should get the nod, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Willer.

theburgh
02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Eric Satim doesn't have the numbers to be a first-team All-American. Sure, he's got great hands and skill, but how many other teams that Plattsburgh doesn't play know that? I think both Vaillancourt AND Willer should get the nod, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Willer.

Not to sure about that... Satim has 3-4 points less than those two...so i dont realllllllyyy think it comes down to numbers. Satim has great numbers, and like i said the 5 gwg is an important number to me. It shows that he's not just scoring late meaningless goals hes scoring goals at crucial times when his team needs them. Don't get me wrong Vaillancourt is right up there. Satim really jumped out at me during the primelink shootout where I think he just dominated, and earned tournament MVP.

theburgh
02-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Not to sure about that... Satim has 3-4 points less than those two...so i dont realllllllyyy think it comes down to numbers. Satim has great numbers, and like i said the 5 gwg is an important number to me. It shows that he's not just scoring late meaningless goals hes scoring goals at crucial times when his team needs them. Don't get me wrong Vaillancourt is right up there. Satim really jumped out at me during the primelink shootout where I think he just dominated, and earned tournament MVP.

Regardless I'm sure we will see them both on the 1 and 2 list come seasons end.

PrezdeJohnson09
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Satim may not make first team for the reasons you outlined but there is no reason why he shouldn't make the second team, especially since he should be up there in the SUNYAC POTY race.

Also,

historically, it seems like every year, no matter what the numbers are a player from each of Plattsburgh, Norwich, and Middlebury is a lock for an All-American slot.

hawkhockey
02-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm missing this push for Kyle Thomas as AA.
Saw him play against St.A's and he wasn't one of three best Norwich players on the ice.
I'm not sure, from what I saw that he was better than Tucker Mullin another sophomore, at St.A's.
Maybe his time will come, but not this year.

BlueDevilRadio
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Here are some easy western selections

Scott Lewan (Fr) - G - (UWRF) 963 minutes 2.24 GAA .932 SV% 508 saves
Branden Gay (Sr) - F - (UWS) 12G 13A 25 PTS 6PP 1SH 2GWG +7
Garrett Suter (Sr) - D- (UWSP) 5G 12A 17 PTS 2PP 1SH 2GWG 1HAT -3

XYZ
02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Here are some easy western selections

Scott Lewan (Fr) - G - (UWRF) 963 minutes 2.24 GAA .932 SV% 508 saves
Branden Gay (Sr) - F - (UWS) 12G 13A 25 PTS 6PP 1SH 2GWG +7
Garrett Suter (Sr) - D- (UWSP) 5G 12A 17 PTS 2PP 1SH 2GWG 1HAT -3

Add Berenguer (20gp, 12-14-26) from Hamline as well. He's got to be about as close to a first team lock on D as there's been in quite a while.

NUProf
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm missing this push for Kyle Thomas as AA.
Saw him play against St.A's and he wasn't one of three best Norwich players on the ice.
I'm not sure, from what I saw that he was better than Tucker Mullin another sophomore, at St.A's.
Maybe his time will come, but not this year.

Kyle has been very inconsistent this year, for whatever reason. His play in the Middlebury game was incredible. I think there are times when he tries to do too much all on his own. He has great talent - there is no doubt about it, but he has lacked some consistency this season.

PrezdeJohnson09
02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Kyle has been very inconsistent this year, for whatever reason. His play in the Middlebury game was incredible. I think there are times when he tries to do too much all on his own. He has great talent - there is no doubt about it, but he has lacked some consistency this season.

Exactly what I said in one of my previous posts. :)

Laker28
02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Ian Boots falls into the same category as Satim and Thomas. He can dazzle you with his skill set but for various reasons he just doesn't have the points to get recognition from people that haven't seen him play. Boots also suffers from bouts of inconsistency, like you guys are saying Thomas does.

With that said, if Andrew Mather can start potting some of the great chances that Boots and Whitelaw create for him, then you will be able to make a very strong case for Boots as an All-American. I haven't seen enough of a lot of the mentioned guys to make an accurate assessment but I would have to think there aren't too many guys in the east with more raw talent than Boots, Thomas and Satim.

Joe Houk from Hamilton deserves to be on every ones short list, he can flat out play (or at least he did in the Pathfinder tournament).

Wormser-PointRC
02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Add Berenguer (20gp, 12-14-26) from Hamline as well. He's got to be about as close to a first team lock on D as there's been in quite a while.

Johann Ryd, F, SNC (19GP, 7-14-21) should probably get a loook. Yeah, his #'s aren't off the chart or anything, but with 5 GWGs, he's the last guy I want bearing down on my goalie with 3 minutes left in a tied game.