Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you hail from? Player's home states, provinces and countries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you hail from? Player's home states, provinces and countries.

Hey guys, being the stat geek that I am, four years ago I looked over each roster and tallied up where each Division 1 player hailed from. If they were American, I put which state, if they were Canadian I put which province or territory and if they aren't from the U.S or Canada, I put their country. This information was probably more easily available than me scanning through each team's roster, but I have a lot of time on my hands and enjoy scanning through each team's roster. I figured after four years, the turnaround is complete and I'd share my latest findings with my fellow USCHO users.

Of the 1,549 rostered NCAA Division 1 players these are my findings...
    USA (1,043)
    Canada (475)
    World (31)

USA
    Minnesota- 179
    Michigan- 128
    Massachusetts- 112
    New York- 97
    Illinois- 62
    Pennsylvania- 57
    California- 50
    Wisconsin- 43
    Colorado- 36
    Connecticut- 31
    Ohio- 31
    Missouri- 24
    New Jersey- 22
    Alaska- 17
    Texas- 15
    New Hampshire- 14
    Arizona- 13
    Florida- 13
    Virginia- 11
    North Dakota- 9
    Vermont- 9
    Rhode Island- 8
    Washington- 7
    Indiana- 6
    Maine- 6
    Georgia- 5
    Iowa- 5
    Maryland- 5
    Nebraska- 5
    Kansas- 4
    Alabama- 3
    Oklahoma- 3
    Nevada- 2
    South Dakota- 2
    Tennessee- 2
    Idaho- 1
    Kentucky- 1
    Montana- 1
    North Carolina- 1
    Oregon- 1
    Washington D.C.- 1
    Wyoming- 1

41 states (plus D.C.) represented.
    Only states without representation are Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Carolina, Utah, West Virginia.

Canada
    Ontario- 172
    Alberta- 111
    British Columbia- 76
    Quebec- 43
    Saskatchewan- 40
    Manitoba- 24
    New Brunswick- 3
    Nova Scotia- 3
    Yukon- 2
    Nunavut- 1

World
    Sweden- 11
    Slovakia- 5
    Finland- 4
    Netherlands- 2
    Austria- 1
    Belarus- 1
    Croatia- 1
    Czech Republic- 1
    Denmark- 1
    France- 1
    Holland- 1
    Italy- 1
    Norway- 1

Interesting notes...
    - Boston College has one lone Canadian and of course he is from B.C.
    - Clarkson has 12 representatives from Ontario.
    - Cornell has a fifth of Texas' representation with 3 players from the Lone Star State.
    - Ferris State has 15 players who hail from Michigan. The most from a team without Michigan in their school's name.

Of the current top 50 point getters in D1...
    - 30 are American
    - 17 are Canadian
    - 2 are Swedish
    - 1 is French

It interests me...it doesn't have to interest you...hopefully some of you out there find it interesting!

Re: Where do you hail from? Player's home states, provinces and countries.

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
    - Ferris State has 15 players who hail from Michigan. The most from a team without Michigan in their school's name.
    Yea, but Ferris State is still in Michigan. Which team not in Michigan has the most Michigan players?
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

If you also did this four years ago, do you still have that data? It might be interesting to find out which places are increasing and which are deceasing in their representation.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
        Yea, but Ferris State is still in Michigan. Which team not in Michigan has the most Michigan players?
        Per your request...

Bowling Green- 6
        Uconn- 4
        Miami- 4
        Notre Dame- 4
        Army- 4
        Canisius- 3
        Air Force- 3
        Ohio State- 3

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          If you also did this four years ago, do you still have that data? It might be interesting to find out which places are increasing and which are deceasing in their representation.
          I'll have to dig it up...good idea.

Comment

The North Dakota number amazes me, the fact that there are not even enough kids coming out of that hockey crazy state to fill two Division One lines is quite interesting. How many high school hockey teams are there in that state? Could be a population thing as well. I think my home state of CT is represented well for our small size, I just wish a few more of our players would stay home.

I would be interested in which teams have the most players from the state that the team is located in. something tells me the top ones would be BC and Minny, but I may be wrong.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Cool numbers, good work.

Just out of curiosity, and because another poster made a big deal about it a few years ago, I did a little running of these numbers compared to State populations. Here are some of the notable States with players produced per 100,000 population:

Minnesota 3.37
              Michigan 1.29
              Massachusetts 1.72
              Alaska 2.39
              North Dakota 1.34
              Vermont 1.45
              Wisconsin 0.57

It would be interesting to compare say, USA Hockey membership numbers by State with players produced as well, but I'm too lazy.

ETA: Connecticut 0.86

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                The North Dakota number amazes me, the fact that there are not even enough kids coming out of that hockey crazy state to fill two Division One lines is quite interesting. How many high school hockey teams are there in that state? Could be a population thing as well. I think my home state of CT is represented well for our small size, I just wish a few more of our players would stay home.

I would be interested in which teams have the most players from the state that the team is located in. something tells me the top ones would be BC and Minny, but I may be wrong.
                Without much digging it has to be Minnesota. 23 of their rostered 27 players are from Minnesota. For a comparative stance, Boston College has 12 of their 24 rostered players born in Massachusetts. Wisconsin is interesting simply because 12 of their 43 D1 players are on the Badgers roster, meaning the great state of Wisconsin which many would assume is a hockey hotbed have the same amount of D1 players as Connecticut and Ohio when you take a look at all the other teams except Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                  Per your request...

Bowling Green- 6
                  Uconn- 4
                  Miami- 4
                  Notre Dame- 4
                  Army- 4
                  Canisius- 3
                  Air Force- 3
                  Ohio State- 3
                  Interesting stuff. Can you determine the schools with the most MN players NOT in MN?
                  "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    Cool numbers, good work.

Just out of curiosity, and because another poster made a big deal about it a few years ago, I did a little running of these numbers compared to State populations. Here are some of the notable States with players produced per 100,000 population:

Minnesota 3.37
                    Michigan 1.29
                    Massachusetts 1.72
                    Alaska 2.39
                    North Dakota 1.34
                    Vermont 1.45
                    Wisconsin 0.57

It would be interesting to compare say, USA Hockey membership numbers by State with players produced as well, but I'm too lazy.

ETA: Connecticut 0.86
                    Goldy, I understand your logic, the number of high school hockey programs per state would take it even further. Do all players at the high school level have to register with USA hockey? Lets not even factor the northeast prep schools.

I appreciate this thread because I was proud to have two state residents on the Yale team last year, this year there are none and it takes away the local flavor of the team for the CT fans.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                      Interesting stuff. Can you determine the schools with the most MN players NOT in MN?
                      Colorado College usually has between seven and nine Minnesota kids on it's roster, but this season that number is down to five.
                      World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Goldy, I understand your logic, the number of high school hockey programs per state would take it even further. Do all players at the high school level have to register with USA hockey? Lets not even factor the northeast prep schools.
                        I do think that high school players have to register, but that may vary by state. In any case, a good number of high school and prep kids play on pre/post teams which does require them to register with USA Hockey.

Comment

I appreciate this thread because I was proud to have two state residents on the Yale team last year, this year there are none and it takes away the local flavor of the team for the CT fans.
                          In MN high school players do not have to be in USAH. Many may be registered if there was doubt about making varsity so they could switch to Bantams, U16 or JrGold depending on age, but those certain to make varsity probably don't bother.

Few states other than MN use high school as the primary development path toward college ranks, more use Tier I, club teams or prep schools.

Comment

You are missing one country. Luka Vidmar of UAA is from Slovenia.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The North Dakota number amazes me, the fact that there are not even enough kids coming out of that hockey crazy state to fill two Division One lines is quite interesting. How many high school hockey teams are there in that state? Could be a population thing as well.
                              I posted this earlier, but got lost when the servers crashed. North dakota has 18 or 17.5 H.S. teams. Wahpeton/Breckenridge is a Co-op between a North Dakota and Minnesota High School that play in North Dakota. It is possible that a Minnesota H.S. could lay claim to a ND State Championship.
                              http://ndhighschoolhockey.com/NorthD...y/default.aspx Oops forgot link of 18 teams.
                              Last edited by darker98; 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM.
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                              X