Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
    Is there a trophy for winning the regular season?
    Yes they presented it after Friday's game against Niagara
    RIT Tigers
    Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
    Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

The trophy SHOULD HAVE been presented after the Canisius game in Buffalo. If the league is going to do such a half-hearted and lame job of presenting the trophy two weeks late, after the game ends and after people are already out the door, they should save the travel costs of sending their league officials to the game and just use FedEx next time. It was embarrassing.
      Last edited by Ed Trefzger; 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
        The trophy SHOULD HAVE been presented after the Canisius game in Buffalo. If the league is going to do such a half-hearted and lame job of presenting the trophy two weeks late, after the game ends and after people are already out the door, they should save the travel costs of sending their league officials to the game and just use FedEx next time. It was embarrassing.
        I am guessing they wanted to hold off and present it on home ice, given that they had the opportunity to do so. A bit cheeky to make a showy presentation like that at someone else's rink. Not that Canisius can even call that their home ice but you know what I mean.

Also, I wasn't there Friday, but from what you said it seems like it was just bad planning and RIT's fault, not the league. RIT could easily have had Rocky make announcements about the presentation mid-game and I am sure more fans would have stayed around.
        i refuse to take out my keys.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

I was told by a reliable source that the regular season trophy is supposed to be on hand at a game when the league regular season championship can be won and is to be presented at that time.

The bad planning is not RIT's fault, but that's really as much as I can say.

Comment

If they presented it before the Niagara game started that would have been fine. Presenting it after a game, after the team winning it lost the game, is just bush league
            RIT Tigers
            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
            Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
              If they presented it before the Niagara game started that would have been fine. Presenting it after a game, after the team winning it lost the game, is just bush league
              Not their fault we lost. The scheduling of that game was already messed up because of CBS pushing us back, and they had to give extra time for the Senior Night stuff. The ceremony itself was pretty underwhelming though. The team didn't even seem to care, really. The captains went and got their picture taken and left, nobody seemed eager to hold it or make a big deal out of it.

Maybe if it had been presented right after they clinched it would have been better, but it would have been in front of even less fans then.
              RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                Not their fault we lost. The scheduling of that game was already messed up because of CBS pushing us back, and they had to give extra time for the Senior Night stuff. The ceremony itself was pretty underwhelming though. The team didn't even seem to care, really. The captains went and got their picture taken and left, nobody seemed eager to hold it or make a big deal out of it.

Maybe if it had been presented right after they clinched it would have been better, but it would have been in front of even less fans then.
                Likely the captains & team feel like the regular season championship isn't the goal they're really working for.....
                John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                NCAA DII - 1983
                NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
                  RIT could easily have had Rocky make announcements about the presentation mid-game and I am sure more fans would have stayed around.
                  Rocky did make announcements, but no one really cared.
                  RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                    Likely the captains & team feel like the regular season championship isn't the goal they're really working for.....
                    They did the same thing last year - and Ritchie wound up holding that trophy. Should RIT win the AHA tournament trophy, then it will be a differant story.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Tweedle Dee View Post
                      Rocky did make announcements, but no one really cared.
                      Did he actually say what it was though? I remember him saying there would be a special presentation after the game once or twice, but nothing specific.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by jgRIT View Post
                        Did he actually say what it was though? I remember him saying there would be a special presentation after the game once or twice, but nothing specific.
                        I'm pretty sure he said it was the AHA Regular Season Championship presentation
                        RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          RIT-Niagara as a final could get 4-5K. But barring upsets, that would be a semifinal. RIT-AFA could get 3K for sure with MAYBE 4K.
                          You really think NU is going to bring in 1-2k extra fans? Unlikely. They don't travel very well from what I've seen.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by slewwwwwfoot! View Post
                            Fair point, but there's a world of difference between saying we played poorly and have things to improve on than to call players out. I have no problem with a coach being able to admit his team under-performed. In fact, I applaud it. Communication to everyone outside of the organization is important. I'd like to know the coach is reasonable and down-to-earth, not just a yes-man blind to their deficiencies.
                            He's called the team out in the post game on quite a few occasions. He certainly doesn't get carried away with it or do anything to embarrass any individual players, but he has done it. I know he was not happy at all with the RPI game or the first SHU game (even though they won). That's just two I can remember off the top of my head.
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by slewwwwwfoot! View Post
                              With all due respect, I don't care what it means to you or long-time hockey fans. All I'm getting at is that people keep throwing up this record and saying "oh my god, they always beat us, we'll never win!" That's stupid. No matter which way you slice it. It's meaningless in this sense.

Rivalry? Sure. I look forward to it. The players have no idea what the hell people like you are on about, though. They haven't been here and haven't been paying attention to RIT hockey for more than maybe 5 years, for the seniors graduating who got recruited a year before. The record doesn't matter to anyone but nostalgic fans like yourself. The rivalry now is based on the fact that they're two good teams going at it in the same league. Little more.
                              Whenever someone starts a sentence with "With all due respect...", one can almost guarantee that they're going to say something disrespectful. Try being nice. We're all on the same side.
                              As one of your beloved "long-time fans", I honestly pretty much discount completely the games RIT played vs. NU in the 90's. NU was building a D-I team from scratch (and doing a very good job of it, btw) and just playing in the ECAC West as a pit stop on the way to where they really wanted to go. As would be expected, a very good RIT team went 2-0-1 against an NU team of all freshmen during their first season (96-97). The following season (97-98), NU's talent level became much more evident as they went 2-0-1 against RIT, including the ECAC West Championship game blowout. As a side note, two seasons later, NU made the D-I NCAA's and shocked the world by defeating UNH 5-1 in the first round. So years from now, when one may go back and re-trace the RIT-NU rivalry, those games should really just be a footnote.
                              On the other hand... Since RIT moved to D-I and the two teams began to play each other again (no games between the two between 98-99 and 04-05), the two schools made a point to play one another once per season every season despite being in different conferences (note the connection that both of NU's head coaches played at and won National Championships at RIT). Now they are geographically close rivals within the same "pod" of the AHA. So, IMHO, in recent history, RIT has developed a trend of not being able to beat NU. In only 6 seasons, NU is 6-0-2 against RIT. Now that they're going to be playing each other at least 3 times per season for the foreseeable future, it just becomes more and more imperative that RIT get that monkey off their back sooner than later.
                              I think it's far from meaningless, especially to the players on the team now. The Seniors are 0-4-2 against the Eagles while the Juniors are 0-4-1. I think they've noticed whether we talk about it or not.
                              Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                                I was told by a reliable source that the regular season trophy is supposed to be on hand at a game when the league regular season championship can be won and is to be presented at that time.
                                That gets tricky if two teams who aren't playing each other each have a shot, doesn't it?

And I don't think that's ever been done on away ice since RIT joined the league, has it? Did we get the trophy at Bentley when we clinched on the last weekend of the season in our first year in the league? I know a fan brought a nice banner for the photo, but I don't remember if the trophy was there.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X