>>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

With people complaining about productivity of players this season I would like to praise one of the guys on a good season for himself. While people here don't like the amount penalties he takes for his gritty,and sometimes goonish, play McReynolds is having a hell of a season with what his role has been on the team with 3g-10a-13pts compared to 2g-3a-5pts and 3g-3a-6pts the previous two seasons. He's gotten more offensively minded and I like that since it isn't what you expect from him. He has also increased his PIMs, but he is our tough guy/enforcer you expect him to rack up PIMs. And while his PIMs don't show it, after watching him for 3 seasons now, he has gotten more disciplined with regards to penalties. Things he'd retaliate for last year he isn't this year.
    RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      I think to many people here have the panties in a wad over nothing and are looking for things to complain about. The Tigers won a regular season title! They will be close to as many regular season points (league and OOC) as they had all of last year (remember they didn't win OOC until the NCAAs while this year's team picked up 3 points with a win over Cornell and a tie against Lowell).
      I'm not too concerned myself. My original posts about the offense were in response to negative criticism towards Burt. I was saying that the offense was more of an issue than the penalty situation. We obviously have a very good team. That said, I think it's important to look at the possible improvements we could make, no matter how small they may be, in order to be ready for the postseason. I just personally think the offense, outside of the 1st line, needs some work. No matter how good a team gets, they can always get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweedle Dee View Post
        With people complaining about productivity of players this season I would like to praise one of the guys on a good season for himself. While people here don't like the amount penalties he takes for his gritty,and sometimes goonish, play McReynolds is having a hell of a season with what his role has been on the team with 3g-10a-13pts compared to 2g-3a-5pts and 3g-3a-6pts the previous two seasons. He's gotten more offensively minded and I like that since it isn't what you expect from him. He has also increased his PIMs, but he is our tough guy/enforcer you expect him to rack up PIMs. And while his PIMs don't show it, after watching him for 3 seasons now, he has gotten more disciplined with regards to penalties. Things he'd retaliate for last year he isn't this year.
        I would agree with that, however I have noticed that he loves to short change his time on the ice and does slack off at times.

Comment

RMU's coach Derek Schooley just tweeted that Saturday's game is sold out. Anyone else going?
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Just some thoughts on the lines....

This year's top 2:
            Lynch-Favot-Brenner
            Burt-Hartley-Mitchell/Janda

Last year's top 2:
            Mazzei-Favot-Brenner
            Matic-Burt-Murphy/Janda/others

Seems to me we have 2 strong lines - just like last year.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I'm less concerned about offense and more concerned about the breakout. Niagara made us look silly back in November. They forechecked us to death and we could barely get out of our zone. I'm hoping a season of experience will allow us to escape Niagara's aggressive forwards and set up some real offense. If we can do that against Niagara, we can do that against anyone.
              e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                I would agree with that, however I have noticed that he loves to short change his time on the ice and does slack off at times.
                This has to be a joke

Comment

Originally posted by sammich824 View Post
                  This has to be a joke
                  Agreed. If anyone battles every single shift, it's McReynolds. And I agree also that he's gotten much smarter about retaliatory penalties. He skates away from a lot of situations that he would have taken a penalty and 10 min misconduct for in his first season. The one thing I'd like to see him actively practice is scoring when one-on-one with the goalie. I can think of a number of occasions that McReynolds has blocked or intercepted a pass on the PK, gotten a breakaway, skated in on their goalie, and only managed a weak shot on goal.

P.S. Who blocks more shots than McReynolds? I'd like to know the stats on that.
                  RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                    Agreed. If anyone battles every single shift, it's McReynolds. And I agree also that he's gotten much smarter about retaliatory penalties. He skates away from a lot of situations that he would have taken a penalty and 10 min misconduct for in his first season. The one thing I'd like to see him actively practice is scoring when one-on-one with the goalie. I can think of a number of occasions that McReynolds has blocked or intercepted a pass on the PK, gotten a breakaway, skated in on their goalie, and only managed a weak shot on goal.

P.S. Who blocks more shots than McReynolds? I'd like to know the stats on that.
                    Just from observation, I know Murphy has been a shot blocking machine this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he ranks up there.

I also agree on McReynolds, the guy trys hard every shift, he just doesn't have that natural goal scoring talent that other players on the team do. He has definitely gotten smarter, but still takes a lot of silly penalties. Thems be the breaks though. I get the feeling he'd fight every guy out there if they'd let him.
                    e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by d4rksabre View Post
                      I get the feeling he'd fight every guy out there if they'd let him.
                      1/2 the time i wish he would. I love to see him go at people. It's kind of annoying to see him back off when you know he really wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                        1/2 the time i wish he would. I love to see him go at people. It's kind of annoying to see him back off when you know he really wants to.
                        Curb Your Enthusiasm......we don't need any additional penalties!
                        Last edited by blazer777; 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM.
                        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

I'd like to see a side by side comparison of our penalty minutes and 10 minute misconducts in games with and without McReynolds. It seemed like the two Canisius games we played without him were some of our cleanest of the year, especially considering it was against a team that usually brings out our worst.

I like McReynolds and sometimes there's definitely a place for the fights, but he's easily the biggest penalty drawer on the team and that has gotten us into trouble.
                          RIT

Comment

McReynolds is also a VERY good penalty killer, and that can't be ignored. And while I am sure he drives the coaching staff nuts with some of the penalties he takes, he also has a role, to bang bodies, be a physical presence and create some energy. And with that is going to come some penalties along the way. Yes, a couple of penalties have been beyond over the top, but he's also drawn a few penalties and taken opponents out of their own game at times, which is part of the trade off.
                            He has an undeniable presence when he is on the ice and he is as tough as nails. There is a reason that the highlight film shown at the team banquet featured his PK shift against UConn where he forechecked his *** off, then got back and blocked 3 successive shots, 2 with no stick...he's part of the heart and soul of this team.
                            Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

As was said, McReynolds will often take someone with him when he goes to the box. Not to mention, his role is to help be the "enforcer". He has a role, and he plays it quite well. This year, he even has double digit points.

If the defense plays like they did against Canisius, RIT will be a tough out for anyone. They won't sneak up on anyone, but with the right matchups, who know what will happen. A week or so again, the projected bracket would have had RIT being the only team in that region that had a NCAA Final Four.

Finally, for a good read, a poster FightingSioux23 did an all-time ranking of the current teams. RIT came in at a respectable 34 and will likely move up as this was done with last year's stats and RIT already has the regular season title.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Anyone know why Favot, Smith, and Descoteaux are out tonight?
                                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X