>>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

It's funny we are talking about Burt not being a good 2-way player when right after his injury he was needed to play defensemen for a few games because of injuries to that group and he was one of their better D-men.

That goal was his first of Burt's calander year, but he has 8 assists in that frame. This last game was his season high in PIMs with 14. So I'm not quite getting all the hate on Burt recently.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
      A shout out to the RIT Corner Crew for welcoming me so nicely at last night's game. I got educated on Strawberry Shortcake, and nearly had my head taken off by the quick placement of the Got Goalie sign, but it was well worth it. I DID NOT know you guys were the most penalized team in the league, it's been YEARS since I've seen 2, count 'em, 2 10 minute misconducts called in the same game, let alone the same period! I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in your rink, and you guys do rival Cady Arena. I look forward to coming back someday to see your new rink and what that atmosphere is like! Thanks again for showing an out of towner a good evening!
      Glad you enjoyed it. I'd suggest for your return, you check out an RIT vs Air Force game!
      RIT

Comment

I just spent some time here http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/rit/...key/2010-2011/ clicking on the various column headings to see how various players ranked on the team. I agree that Burt has not played up to last year's standard and does some frustrating things, but I was surprised to see that he is still tied for 2nd in assists and fairly low on the list for penalties and PIMs even after last night. Statistically he's having a better year than I would have guessed.

And slewww... my reaction was to you calling him a "disaster". I just don't see that, even last night. And the play setting up the goal that I recalled was a bit before the goal and bringing the puck into the zone, not directly setting up the shots. Aren't most goals about being in the right place at the right time and benefiting from the defense and goalie not making better plays. He was lucky because he got there and made the play first (and before the net dislodged) and that kind of luck is what makes for winning hockey.
        -M

Comment

1st place in AHA
          3-0 win last night
          Only undefeated goalie in D1
          Sold out home games
          Undefeated women's team
          League leader in penalty minutes.
          Record just short of matching last years wins at this time
          D1 leader in tied games

Give the team and the individual players the credit they deserve for keeping the dream alive!
          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post

Give the team and the individual players the credit they deserve for keeping the dream alive!
            That is exactly what not to do! Right now is crunch time. You don't tell them good job. You get angry at them when they did something wrong. Keep the dream alive by getting frustrated with them. Don't let them get a big head. Burt was alright yesterday and still gets stupid penalties. End of story. The time to give them credit is at the end of the season. This team hasn't even peaked yet. Criticize them!!!
            R I T HOCKEY
            Frozen Four
            Elite Eight
            NCAA Tournament
            2010-2015-2016
            RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by slewwwwwfoot! View Post
              Sigh.

He has almost no two-way game, doesn't like to pass, and then turns over the puck a lot in the offensive zone. These things, and some good heads-up plays are not mutually exclusive.

I just went to watch the replay again to make sure I'm not crazy. It was a lucky goal. Burt takes a shot right into Canisius's skates, fortunately another RIT player (mighta been Hartley) recovers it. It gets put back on net a couple of times; Morrison makes the save, but doesn't know where the rebound went - it was sitting just between his skate and the right post. Yes, good on Burt for seeing that and getting a stick on it. But in the end, it's a lucky goal. There was no "great play to set up" the goal. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see the puck, and was fortunate the defenders and goaltender didn't see it.

The way people are jumping to his defense, you'd think I was comparing him to David Koci or Paul Bisonette. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if anything he's more like Alexander Semin. He has a great deal of talent, and goes on streaks where he dominates. But he has no two-way game, likes to hog the puck, likes to try to do the same thing again and again in the offensive zone even if it's not working, turns over the puck a lot, and will give you a PP for retaliation any time you ask. I don't dislike Burt, I just want him to be the player he was last year.

Yes. Exactly.
              Since when is being in the right place at the right time a bad thing? That's not luck, that's how hockey is supposed to be played. If he wasn't there you'd be complaining that he was in the wrong place. I will never understand why some people are so unrealistic in their evaluations of Burt - it's like you expect miracles from him and when you don't get them it's his fault. He protects the puck so he's a puck hog. He's got more than his fair share of takeaways and more often than not he comes out of the corner with the puck but he has no two way game. He plays bruised, battered and beaten but he has no interest in the game. Wow, I just wish I had thought to put this all in a Valentine's Day card for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                That is exactly what not to do! Right now is crunch time. You don't tell them good job. You get angry at them when they did something wrong. Keep the dream alive by getting frustrated with them. Don't let them get a big head. Burt was alright yesterday and still gets stupid penalties. End of story. The time to give them credit is at the end of the season. This team hasn't even peaked yet. Criticize them!!!
                You might want to consider decaf.

All blazer is pointing out are some of the positives. And positive reinforcement is very useful. Obviously there a some flaws with this year team. But in spite them them, look at all the accomplishments that blazer put out there. RIT is about to clinch their 4th regular season in 5 years. Consider that at the start of the year, some of us were thinking that they would be lucky to make it to Blue Cross for the AHA semifinals, it's a heck of a year.

The flaws are there. We should make mention of them - the overabundance of penalties, lack of offiensive production from defensemen, etc. But we don't need to dwell on them.

RIT should look to win the regular season and them make sure that everyone is healthy for the AHA tournament because that is what matters in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by sammich824 View Post
                  Since when is being in the right place at the right time a bad thing? That's not luck, that's how hockey is supposed to be played. If he wasn't there you'd be complaining that he was in the wrong place. I will never understand why some people are so unrealistic in their evaluations of Burt - it's like you expect miracles from him and when you don't get them it's his fault. He protects the puck so he's a puck hog. He's got more than his fair share of takeaways and more often than not he comes out of the corner with the puck but he has no two way game. He plays bruised, battered and beaten but he has no interest in the game. Wow, I just wish I had thought to put this all in a Valentine's Day card for him.
                  Dear Cameron,

Your stick is unreal.

My heart told me to write that.

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    What are the chances the goalies will be Cheverie for Rochester and DeMichiel for Hershey when the Bears come to town next Friday?

Powers &8^]
                    They've actually played eachother twice in the ECHL. The record is 1-1, so a rematch to settle it would be nice :P
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      You might want to consider decaf.

All blazer is pointing out are some of the positives. And positive reinforcement is very useful. Obviously there a some flaws with this year team. But in spite them them, look at all the accomplishments that blazer put out there. RIT is about to clinch their 4th regular season in 5 years. Consider that at the start of the year, some of us were thinking that they would be lucky to make it to Blue Cross for the AHA semifinals, it's a heck of a year.

The flaws are there. We should make mention of them - the overabundance of penalties, lack of offiensive production from defensemen, etc. But we don't need to dwell on them.

RIT should look to win the regular season and them make sure that everyone is healthy for the AHA tournament because that is what matters in the end.
                      The sooner we clinch the season title, the sooner we go back to platooning goalies until the playoffs. I realize this is a good thing for Watson, but a bad thing for us to have to watch..

That being said, it will feel good to have clinched as early as tomorrow while being able to spoil RMU or Niagara's second place chances.
                      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                        The sooner we clinch the season title, the sooner we go back to platooning goalies until the playoffs. I realize this is a good thing for Watson, but a bad thing for us to have to watch..

That being said, it will feel good to have clinched as early as tomorrow while being able to spoil RMU or Niagara's second place chances.
                        Barring injury, I don't expect that Watson sees ice time the rest of the year. I could see Ropponen starting senior night if first place is clinched by then. But I think that Coach will make sure Madolora stays sharp.

And I want Niagara in second place (or maybe third) so that they are in the other side of the bracket from RIT.

Comment

A buddy of mine at the meet and greet today congratulated Watson on his win over Cornell.

Ropponen started in that game. And was sitting right next to Watson. Quite a hilarious moment for me, but an embarrassing one for him. I'll be sporting my new sigs tomorrow @ Canisius.
                          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                            I DID NOT know you guys were the most penalized team in the league, it's been YEARS since I've seen 2, count 'em, 2 10 minute misconducts called in the same game, let alone the same period!
                            To be fair, only one of those was on us!

Powers &8^]

Comment

The vast majority of games that RIT gets a lot of penalty minutes, the other team has a lot as well. There are several games that RIT doesn't have a lot of penalties - even by refs that the Corner Crew generally don't think are good refs (see RIT-Air Force Friday game).

Comment

I noticed that on the RIT stats page earlier. RIT has 591 PIMs on the year and RIT's opponents have 593. So while the totals are high, RIT is even with their opponents. There have been a lot of retaliation penalties this year, so the "problem" might just be that the opponents are gooning it up on RIT and taking advantage of the lack of discipline that we've all been talking about (rather than RIT being the instigators???).

EDIT: Bummer to see the women lost this evening. Although it might be good to get one loss out of the system before the playoffs. It was awful painful to see the first loss for the men come in the NCAA final back in 2000-01.
                                Last edited by RITProf; 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM.
                                -M

Comment

Working...
                                X