X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by retired_junkie View Post
    I NEED 5 TICKETS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT
    So you'll be watching the game on TV then? Good friggin luck getting 5 tickets for Saturday night. Bigger question is why didn't you get tickets though the Maine box office when they got their allotment?
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
      No, we're over you. You still seem obsessed with us. In case you missed it, the Big Weekend was this last one and we blew it. Can't you go be rivals with your hillbilly bretheren in VT and leave us alone?
      If I hadn't been to a few UNH/Maine games at Alfond I might believe you. So what is it with this inferiority complex you all seem to have regarding New Hampshire and Massachusetts? I spend plenty of time in Maine. Its real. Discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
        First visit to MDI last fall, hoping to get up there a few times this year. Good stuff!
        Fall is a good time of year. So is June. July-September can be kind of busy! I work at the Jackson Laboratory, so we can take a long lunch break to go rock climbing at otter cliffs down the road, or we can walk out our office and be at a park trail in 10 minutes. Let me know if you need any tips for your next trip. I plan on taking a few trips to the White Mountains this summer, but I'm trying to get my wife to agree to go down this winter and hike up the Lion's Head trail on washington. She doesn't think it sounds like a lof of fun in the winter though. And I'm guessing I'll have to bring my son (3 years old in August) back to Santa's Villiage this summer. No need to dump on each other's state just because our hockey teams are rivals. I do think all of this inbreeding nonsense is pretty foolish considering New Hampshire and Maine are so similar. I guess when you get called Hillbillies by BC fans all the time it is nice to pretend that some how you are superior to your neighbors to the east.

go black bears! Timmay sucks, but I hope he proves me wrong this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
          If I hadn't been to a few UNH/Maine games at Alfond I might believe you. So what is it with this inferiority complex you all seem to have regarding New Hampshire and Massachusetts? I spend plenty of time in Maine. Its real. Discuss.
          You can't get over your loss to us in '99, we can't get over ours to BU in '95. UNH is our rival to the Football team and therefore the media. Additionally, most of the student who show up to our hockey games don't follow the team. They are mostly leftover drunks from the football season and believe everything that they read.
          Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by retired_junkie View Post
            Yeah we'll go ahead and keep explaining that to them.. Eventually they will catch on after they get over their running joke about Edge. Let me try this again to the UNH fans may understand.

I AM FROM MAINE

I ALREADY HAVE TICKETS FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

I NEED 5 TICKETS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT

I UNDERSTAND THAT UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES THEY MAY BE PURCHASED VIA TICKETMASTER WHEN AVAILABLE

RIGHT NOW SATURDAY NIGHT IS SOLD OUT

I DON'T NEED TICKETS FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

I NEED TICKETS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT

5 OF THEM

There maybe that will do it. I know my chances of snagging 5 are prob slim/none
            What do you need tickets for?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              What a pantload
              Does that count as "witty banter"?
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                I've been to NH plenty of times. Have you ever been north of Concord (over half of the state)? Rural NH is not much different from rural Maine. Ever been to the north country? Sure is a cultural meca! Good hiking in the White Mountains though, I'm sure I'll spend some time in the whites this summer after I get bored going to MDI every day.
                I dunno, Hanover( Dartmouth College) isn't much like rural Maine is it? Ever been there? The Hopkins Center at Dartmouth is something of a cultural center.
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                  Can't you go be rivals with your hillbilly bretheren in VT and leave us alone?
                  They're not hilbillies. They're dirty hippies. We'd rather leave them alone to their exploits with "elephants." It's a slowly growing rivalry, if only because their fans always come down to the Whitt drunker than yours truly and get themselves tossed. I didn't make it this year, but I'd bet money that it happened again.

Originally posted by joconnor2189 View Post
                  When you stink, you need to go back to the times that made you all warm and fuzzy.
                  Oh I totally get it. I grew up a Notre Dame football fan. It gets tougher and tougher to "Wake up the echoes." That's for another thread.

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  This is NH. Concord and below is just northern Massachusetts.
                  Hey hey hey. It's just a different way of life down here. We hate MA just as much, only in a different way. They mess up our store shelves, clog our roads, corrupt our children, steal our women, and pillage our towns. And I only made a few of those up.
                  A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    This is NH. Concord and below is just northern Massachusetts.
                    Sort of like how everything south of Portland is northern Mass. and everything north of Old Town is southern Canada.
                    Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                      You can't get over your loss to us in '99, we can't get over ours to BU in '95. UNH is our rival to the Football team and therefore the media. Additionally, most of the student who show up to our hockey games don't follow the team. They are mostly leftover drunks from the football season and believe everything that they read.
                      Uhh what? Have you ever been to a Maine football game? NO BODY CARES. Literally, during the Battle for the Brice Cowell Musket, I've seen people lined up outside Alfond waiting for hockey tickets. While there was a game going on at the stadium directly behind them.

And Wally....using the word Pantload. HILARIOUS.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                        So be it. I'll have an intelligent discussion on why the past really doesn't matter.

There are many fans on this board who feel it necessary to point out a major flaw in UNH's men's hockey program; namely, the lack of a national championship. Perhaps it is more glaring that our best chance at winning one was thwarted by our rivals to the north, UMaine. Fans of that program have taken a particular delight in reveling over that particular game, along with many other of our post-season shortcomings. Due to the fact that past events cannot be changed, nor do they have a direct outcome on the upcoming game, it is irrelevant to use historical results as an argumentative crutch.

That isn't to say that there is no impact on the teams whatsoever. To the contrary, the fallout of that game, along with many other past match-ups, has created an atmosphere of a rivalry between the 2 schools where this game has additional meaning attached to it. Were it not for the 1999 game, along with many others along the way, UNH would not have continued the drive towards earning a national title. Though it may act as an impetus for UNH to strive for the national title, our past failures aren't a part of this weekend's series.

In honesty, even last weekend's triumphs won't be in this weekend's series. The fluidity of time forces a team to constantly keep improving itself in order for it to be considered "The Best That There Is." Time is constantly in motion, and therefore, the past is in a constant rate of growth. The future, to our minds, is infinite; we don't know when it ends (some even believe that there will be no end of time, it will simply start over again). All that truly matters is who the best team is at this given moment. Even the last game played between these two teams is irrelevant because circumstances have changed at least three times over. Lines have shuffled. Players who were injured then are healthy now, and vice versa. Like time, the teams are in a constant state of flux.

Since December, these teams have changed superficially; since 1999 these programs have changed immensely. The change at UMaine is obvious: your coach tragically passed away in 2001 and created an upheaval of seismic proportions. UNH lost a great assistant coach, Brian McCloskey, to the women's hockey program where he has had relatively successful seasons. Furthermore, the hockey teams themselves have graduated 2 full classes of players since then. Most players on the teams now were in elementary school in 1999. Their connections to that game are minimal, if any.

To sum, it is heinous to use our past, which could be likened to Shakespearean tragedy, in order to prop up your insults against our program. The kids playing this year were 5th graders themselves during the Incident in Anaheim. Furthermore, due to the transient nature of time, even Friday night's game will be made irrelevant by the time the puck drops on Saturday night. Though some of the emotions may carry over, the direct impact ANY of our past failures have on our program are, in fact, uncorrelated to the play of our student-athletes.
                        brings a tear to the eye.
                        does the team play in the post season as well as you write?

Comment

Friday Night. Maine will come out with fire because of how they lost last time these teams met..sneak out with a W.
                          Saturday Night. Chippy through out the entire game. Diamond and a UNH player will get ejected. 4-3 Maine.
                          4 points for Maine.
                          Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                            Yup, Maine has a better history on the ice, and a far worse history off the ice than UNH, congrats.
                            ummmm, how often did Orono get torched after Maine won anything?
                            and what on god's green earth makes you think that the only difference is not the reporting in the papers and what the cops overlook?
                            cocaine much?

edit: sorry... I just got 2700 emails from Scott Borek asking me to stop

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                              Friday Night. Maine will come out with fire because of how they lost last time these teams met..sneak out with a W.
                              Saturday Night. Chippy through out the entire game. Diamond and a UNH player will get ejected. 4-3 Maine.
                              4 points for Maine.
                              well, at least I had a good laugh

that said... does it strike anyone where Paul Thompson played juniors... and does that make you wonder about Tim's recruiting abilities, even in the EJ?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                                well, at least I had a good laugh
                                sorry.
                                Friday Night. Maine will come out with fire because of how they lost last time these teams met.. jump out to a 2-0...ME 2 UNH 6
                                Saturday Night. Maine heads up north early
                                Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Working...
                                X