PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27

freak
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
2. During the song after a goal is scored, the fans point at the goalie and repeat "You Suck" at specific places in the song.

Not traditionally, however. That was originally only supposed to be against Northeastern, as it is how the Dog Pound does their goal cheer.

It became permanent, however, as students... Often not regular attendees over the last few years...heard it once and assumed that was how it is supposed to be done.

* When an opposing player gets a penalty, the crowd chants "Skate, Skate, Skate" as the player heads to the box, then "Sit Down *****!" when he gets there.

Again, not traditionally. The curse at the end was not originally part of the cheer. Some fans added it for a particular player in each game, but students heard it once and added it for everybody. No doubt some students think it is hilarious to be vulgar in public, so it lingers.

It is disappointing too, as almost the entire rink used to participate in the penalty chant. But within 5-6 games of the curse becoming ingrained, it became pretty much just a student section chant.

Priceless
02-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm sure Lake State though otherwise, but I do agree that when Jerry retires, there will be a lot of extremely qualified people begging to take that job. Since you are piped into UMaine's program much more than I am, did Maine ever really try and make a run at Dean Blais or Jeff Jackson?

There weren't a ton of qualified people begging for the job at BC 20 years ago, when BC was coming off a .657 winning percentage, 6 Hockey East titles and 2 Frozen Fours in seven years? Guess people were really picky.

Dean Blais was gainfully employed by the University of North Dakota and five straight seasons of 29+ wins...he wasn't going anywhere. Jackson had been relegated to the OHL, from which he was fired during a disappointing 2002-03 season. So no, neither one was at the top of Maine hockey lists. Maybe some of the fans imagined they were, but no, they weren't. I do know there was a movement to replace Walsh when he was suspended for a year but Cronin led the team to getting swept at home by UMass-LOL, a 1-point weekend at home vs Northeastern and lost three games to UHN and people couldn't wait to get Shawn back.

walrus
02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow, she took a swing at one jack*, and now she's "notorious" and apparently assaulted numerous visiting fans. Bear in mind, we only ever really heard the jack*'s story. But I'm sure he told it exactly as it happened. .
Greg says nothing like that ever happens at the Whitt, its only Alfond, he knows, He sells 50 50 tickets. If this story is true she should truly be ashamed

walrus
02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm sure Lake State though otherwise, but I do agree that when Jerry retires, there will be a lot of extremely qualified people begging to take that job. Since you are piped into UMaine's program much more than I am, did Maine ever really try and make a run at Dean Blais or Jeff Jackson?

They never put the job out there so no one knows who might have wanted the job. Sue Tyler the incompetent AD never did a nat'l search.

gdawg
02-12-2011, 12:24 AM

And when I was at Maine we were 22-2-1 against UHN in the last 25 games. The Wildcats weren't even a rival in those days, just six easy points in Hockey East. Congrats on finally winning a few games.

You are living in the past, Grandpa.

gdawg
02-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Not traditionally, however. That was originally only supposed to be against Northeastern, as it is how the Dog Pound does their goal cheer.

It became permanent, however, as students... Often not regular attendees over the last few years...heard it once and assumed that was how it is supposed to be done.

Again, not traditionally. The curse at the end was not originally part of the cheer. Some fans added it for a particular player in each game, but students heard it once and added it for everybody. No doubt some students think it is hilarious to be vulgar in public, so it lingers.

It is disappointing too, as almost the entire rink used to participate in the penalty chant. But within 5-6 games of the curse becoming ingrained, it became pretty much just a student section chant.

Thanks for the corrections to my post. I realize I have only been coming to UNH games for 12 years as a season ticket holder. I attended all the games when I was a student from 1969-1975 then off and on after that until landing season tickets. So my knowledge of the cheers and which are traditional vs. mistakenly done for the wrong teams may be off.

I remember a few years ago the athletic department printed up some "acceptable" cheers for the fans. But I never saw the manual of cheers. Is this governed by a formal Council of Cheering or just an adhoc committee?

It would be helpful to all us novice fans to have access to the rules, regulations, and traditions of all the cheers via the Internet or in printed form. Do you know where we can get them? Maybe they could start posting them on the message boards at the game at the appropriate time, for the appropriate teams, and with the correct verbage.

Priceless
02-12-2011, 12:49 AM
You are living in the past, Grandpa.

Gee thanks.

Point is, if someone looks at the rivalry in 20 years they may find that Maine in dominant again, or that things are even. Few things in college hockey are forever. Michigan Tech used to be a perennial title contender while UHN used to be a patsy.

sandiegoblkbr
02-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Gee thanks.

Point is, if someone looks at the rivalry in 20 years they may find that Maine in dominant again

Not if Whitehead is still coaching this team!

UNHhockey29
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I remember a few years ago the athletic department printed up some "acceptable" cheers for the fans. But I never saw the manual of cheers. Is this governed by a formal Council of Cheering or just an adhoc committee?

I had the AD print those up (placed them on the seats too) and have the list on my computer. We've talked about circulating the list again but copies are too much $$ for the poor hosers. There was a cheer sheet printed out for the regular fans and another one printed out for the students (that had all the cheers).

goblue
02-12-2011, 11:01 AM
The description is priceless:

Besides a larger, Olympic-size ice surface, New Hampshire's rink has an expansive memorabilia display, including a gallery of every UNH team since the 1920s and a display case of the Wildcats' championship trophies. :D

http://www.advantagefixtures.com/jpgs/productline/trophycases/wallcasesdtr70.jpg

But here's Maine's problem:

http://www.mybackyardicerink.com/image-files/hockey-net-2-tournament-style-goal-net.jpg

:D :D :D

acs64
02-12-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.advantagefixtures.com/jpgs/productline/trophycases/wallcasesdtr70.jpg

But here's Maine's problem:

http://www.mybackyardicerink.com/image-files/hockey-net-2-tournament-style-goal-net.jpg

:D :D :D

Yeah, but our problem is fixable, yours is not. :D:D:D:D

freak
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for....

:rolleyes: I'll just say that you obviously haven't been paying much attention over the past ten years.

WildShawn
02-12-2011, 12:19 PM
vermont? At home? Thanks for rendering last weekend even more unimpressive.....

MAINEhockeyFireWhitehead
02-12-2011, 12:31 PM
University of No Hardware

goblue
02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but our problem is fixable, yours is not. :D:D:D:D

And therein, my dear Watson, lies the rub.;)

goblue
02-12-2011, 01:20 PM
University of No Hardware

Wow. That's stunningly original. I bet others start using that as well.

Come on, face it, MHFW, you're a one trick pony. All you can muster are these feeble attempts to be humorous in between your otherwise constant rant to fire your coach. I'm guessing all those red chicklets aren't Valentine's candy.

acs64
02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
And therein, my dear Watson, lies the rub.;)

Well, it may take us 3 years to fix our problem, but as the saying goes, it is written, and so it shall be. Hopefully, somehow we can rid ourselves of that cancer before then.:D

WildShawn
02-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, it may take us 3 years to fix our problem, but as the saying goes, it is written, and so it shall be. Hopefully, somehow we can rid ourselves of that cancer before then.:D
Your problem is, you're becoming LSSU faster than anyone realized was possible

acs64
02-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Ha, ha...nice try, but we'll have a plethora of great candidates to choose from. Some great ones with ties to UMaine, others no doubt will be interested in that position as soon as we can get spike to hit the road. UHN, on the other hand, is stuck with Whistlin Dick foooorrrreeever. But, its never too late to start the process of ejection, no ? :D

Priceless
02-12-2011, 01:43 PM

People have been saying Maine is "becoming" LSSU for the past six years now....how exactly is that fast?

Wow. That's stunningly original. I bet others start using that as well.

Come on, face it, MHFW, you're a one trick pony. All you can muster are these feeble attempts to be humorous in between your otherwise constant rant to fire your coach. I'm guessing all those red chicklets aren't Valentine's candy.

You're better off just putting him on your ignore list.