Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Anyway, great game to watch and congrats to Thompson on his 20th goal of the season, 50th of his career and his 100th point. He's odds on to win HE POY and will no doubt be a Hobey candidate. He's come a long way from his sophomore year, that's for sure.
    Not sure about POY or Hobey, but spot on about coming a long way from his Soph. campaign. Ran into Mrs. Thompson on the way out of the arena and had a good chat w/ her. The jist I got from it was that the time he spent on the bench sophomore year lit a fire under his *** and served as a reminder as to what could happen if he didn't work hard enough to keep his ice time. He's certainly earning it this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the NHL. It seems his game translates well to the next level: he's willing to grind out tough goal, yet skilled enough to finish tic-tac-toes. Doesn't hurt that he's from Dirty Derry either
    A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

How anyone can look at the last half decade and NOT see Maine settling into a new era of complete mediocrity?

Sure, there are solid programs that don't make the NCAAs in any given year.

There aren't many that don't make the NCAAs for several years in a row. Couple that with the genuine feeling among the Maine fanbase that the NCAAs are what it's all about, much more than conference play, and you've got a recipe for widespread dissatisfaction.

That dissatisfaction is going to be there until everyone over the age of 35 gives up on following the program.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Greg- I am glad you brought that up about UNH's defensive play in the third period. It was atrocious in their own end. I was amazed at the number of times they coughed up the puck in their end in the third. Not exactly what you would expect when trying to preserve a lead. They seemed pretty lackadaisical when trying to clear the zone. Digi bailed them out way too many times. But as you said it was an entertaining game to watch. Hopefully, the defensive play is a lot tighter tonight (for UNH).

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Maybe Whitehead, Cosgrove and Blodgett are the secret weapons of those that want to get rid of athletics at Maine????
          Who is going to make a decision to make a change? The Interim President or the Interim AD? Nothing is going to happen until a president is hired, who then hires an AD, who then evaluates the programs... by which point we will likely be butting right up against the next season.

Is that anywhere near an ideal situation? No. But it is what it is, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Four years in a row though? What powerhouse program that's missed 4 straight years has recovered? Providence in the 80s? No. Lake State? No. Maybe some of the Western schools but they've got BCS football money. To go from what Maine did from 1988-2006 and then miss 4 straight and then get back on top is just about unprecedented and that's what scares the bejeezus out of folks.
            Completely unprecedented. Especially here in the East.

Maybe some old fans from UNH can help you out, seeing as how they're half the thread.

If there aren't any that can remember the Bob Kullen/Dave O'Connor era, maybe some helpful BC fans will tell you about the middle of the Ceglarski era, Steve Cedorchuk and the early York years. Fortunately, Jack Parker has always kept BU at the top. It's not like the Terriers won a national title then went a decade with only two NCAA appearances.

But you're right about the teams out west. Denver and North Dakota are only good again because of the money they get from BCS football.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Maybe some old fans from UNH can help you out, seeing as how they're half the thread.

If there aren't any that can remember the Bob Kullen/Dave O'Connor era, maybe some helpful BC fans will tell you about the middle of the Ceglarski era, Steve Cedorchuk and the early York years. Fortunately, Jack Parker has always kept BU at the top. It's not like the Terriers won a national title then went a decade with only two NCAA appearances.

But you're right about the teams out west. Denver and North Dakota are only good again because of the money they get from BCS football.
              It not like you're reaching back to ancient history with UNH.........or that BC canned Ceglarski.........or BU has won how many National Championhips with Parker at the helm (including recently)?

Go back in your cave TIMMAY Jr.

Comment

Completely unprecedented. .
                Do you see them making it next year?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Sirman or Martin tonight? Or just have Seeley drive down to Durham and see what he can do because I don't think it matters tonight.
                  Curse of the Timmy

Comment

BC had a pretty bad 6 or 7 year run, but the circumstances were a lot different than what is happening now at Maine. BC got decimated by the olympics and pro defections after I believe the 91 season and thus had a couple of subpar years, which was made 100 times worse when Cedorchuk then came in and had the scholarship scandal where more of the little top talent that was left ended up splitting. The Milbury situation only made it worse. By the time York came around in 94, the team was a complete disaster that needed to be totally rebuilt. It took a few years, but by the 97-98 season BC was back as a national power and has been ever since.

Whitehead on the other hand took over a well oiled machine with a plethora of top recruits in the pipeline and has slowly but surely turned the program into an also ran. I think the difference is that BC almost has to screw up to not be good, while the Maine program has to work that much harder to be a consistent winner. Walsh had that in him but am not so sure if Timmy does??
                    Last edited by carltonbarrett; 02-05-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Still waiting for your concrete actual specific examples of what resources this team is missing. Open your eyes.

Also, UNH is working on making the NCAAs 10 in a row and 14 out of 15 years. I don't see a 4 year lull since they got going. So no, their futility before HOCKEY EAST WAS FOUNDED and before I was born don't count.
                      Last edited by BoSox3066; 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Before I hit the road to actually go to the game at Lake Whitt, here's another for Priceless: For argument's sake, let's say we concede your point on BC and UNH. What's the common thread to getting back on top? A COACHING CHANGE. What say you?

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

And here I thought Ceglarski retired.

Len Ceglarski will stay on as Boston College hockey coach for one last
                          season. Ceglarski met with athletic director Chet Gladchuk yesterday
                          afternoon, during which they discussed all aspects of the program. Shortly
                          after they finished, it was announced that 1991-92 will be Ceglarski's
                          farewell.

Ceglarski, 64, the winningest coach in college hockey history (659-319-35),
                          coached at Walpole High School and at Clarkson before he took over the BC
                          job from his former coach, John (Snooks) Kelley, in 1972.

"This is really the first time that I have had to sit down and have a talk
                          with Chet Gladchuk," said Ceglarski. "I have decided that next year will
                          be my last as head coach at Boston College.

"I have done a lot of thinking over the season, and my wife, Ursula, and I
                          decided [Tuesday night] that I will retire after next year. I feel good
                          about the support the hockey program has had at Boston College. It has been
                          a good program, but we think we can make it even better.

"I am disappointed the way things ended this year, but I am just as excited
                          about our prospects for next year.

"But after all the rumors about my retiring, I just wanted to state what was
                          going to happen. I have two years remaining on my contract, but we feel it
                          is time to retire after next season."
                          But it makes much more sense that the winningest coach in college hockey history who was coming off three consecutive league titles and a Frozen Four appearance was canned after coaching at BC for 20 years. Gladchuk fired him but let him continue to coach the team anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Do you see them making it next year?
                            *****http://www.m8ball.com/en/ball_02.gif******

Comment

*****http://www.m8ball.com/en/ball_02.gif******
                              In other words, no would be your answer. Don't be afraid to go out on a limb
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

And here I thought Ceglarski retired.

But it makes much more sense that the winningest coach in college hockey history who was coming off three consecutive league titles and a Frozen Four appearance was canned after coaching at BC for 20 years. Gladchuk fired him but let him continue to coach the team anyway...
                                Your spin is laughable. I'm not talking about Ceglarski. And Tim Whitehead is no Ceglarski. Look, this team isn't performaing to expectations. Period. You can't spin that away. I think I've been fair to Tim and the bottom line is the last two years his teams have underperformed. It's his job to win hockey games. He's not.

Still waiting for concrete examples on the resources. Your pictures are cute though.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Working...
                                X