Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Minnesota Offseason Thread

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    No. Just the opposite. I am saying that as good as he eventually became, he had a lot of developing to do from his freshman year. He played smarter defensively than a lot of freshman D. And he made offensive moves and had some games where you just said to yourself, "this guy is going to be really good if he sticks around." But like all freshman, he had games that were very unremarkable too. My point was that mature defenseman are very valuable, and I wouldn't count on Marshall to be a dominant player his first year. It is a much more difficult position to adjust to a new level than forward.
    Word. Well said.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

It drives me nuts how people jump on the bandwagon to rip a D as being the problem. But I don't think they are always fair in their analysis. If a D gets beat once or twice, even a person who has watched/played very little hockey can see it. But how smart they are positioning themselves, how well they carry the puck or make the best pass and make it accurately, or how good they are at coming out of a corner with a puck or breaking up a pass is much more subtle and seems to be missed a lot. And having forwards who aren't back-checking well (a chronic problem in many games the last few years) tends to make the D look bad. Ness didn't reach the standard people had set for him. But in many games last year, he was the best D and he had some games where he played very well.
      This.

No. Just the opposite. I am saying that as good as he eventually became, he had a lot of developing to do from his freshman year. He played smarter defensively than a lot of freshman D. And he made offensive moves and had some games where you just said to yourself, "this guy is going to be really good if he sticks around." But like all freshman, he had games that were very unremarkable too. My point was that mature defenseman are very valuable, and I wouldn't count on Marshall to be a dominant player his first year. It is a much more difficult position to adjust to a new level than forward.
      I could not agree more; the hardest transition in college hockey is to play defense in the WCHA as a freshman.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        I could not agree more; the hardest transition in college hockey is to play defense in the WCHA as a freshman.
        Depends on where you are. Its not difficult for UAA; just find a 24-year-old and teach him that his best friends are the words "clutch" and "grab."
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Let's not forget that he is made of sugar. Sophmore year he went down in the Class A State tournament after being hit by a future possible defensive partner. Then the next season he tried to skate from end to end vs Hermantown while his linemates went off for a change, got knocked on his rear and injured. Hermantown went down and scored to win it in OT.

He will look fast and skate well with the big sheets of ice but when traffic is heavy he will more under-sized and out of place then Ness did. He will get pionts when the Gophs are on the PP but will be well on the negetive side of the +/- stat.

Comment

Originally posted by Youngblood11 View Post
            He will look fast and skate well with the big sheets of ice but when traffic is heavy he will more under-sized and out of place then Ness did. He will get pionts when the Gophs are on the PP but will be well on the negetive side of the +/- stat.
            I'm sorry, but who or what the hell exactly are you talking about? Please try to be coherent when making a point.
            Last edited by johnnypohlfan; 08-19-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
              I'm sorry, but who or what the hell exactly are you talking about? Please try to be coherent when making a point.
              I was wondering the same thing.

He must be talking about Marshall... I think.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Youngblood11 View Post
                Let's not forget that he is made of sugar. Sophmore year he went down in the Class A State tournament after being hit by a future possible defensive partner. Then the next season he tried to skate from end to end vs Hermantown while his linemates went off for a change, got knocked on his rear and injured. Hermantown went down and scored to win it in OT.

You're right. Let's just ignore the fact that he made the All-USHL Second Team and was named to the USHL All-Rookie team this past year and just focus on a few moments you recollect from high school.

Comment

Sorry. I didn't know you were english grad students. I will have to remember to start proof reading all of your posts from here on out.

Marshall is soft, he has been injured every season in one shape or another. Second team all star....great. USHL is about the most non-physical league in Junior hockey. Like I stated he will skate fast and push up a lot of snow when he stops like some of you like to see, he will also be on the ice when the other team scores.........alot!

Comment

Sorry. I didn't know you were english grad students. I will have to remember to start proof reading all of your posts from here on out.

Marshall is soft, he has been injured every season in one shape or another. Second team all star....great. USHL is about the most non-physical league in Junior hockey. Like I stated he will skate fast and push up a lot of snow when he stops like some of you like to see, he will also be on the ice when the other team scores.........alot!
                    don't listen to them, I think you are doing a fine job.

Comment

He played in 56 games last season. How is that "hurt a lot"? Or is high school hockey more physical than the USHL in your eyes? And by the way, he was a +20 last season for Omaha.
                      Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Did Marshall bang your GF or something?

You seem to have an axe to grind, I think I will wait to actually see him play for the Maroon & Gold before making any judgement.
                        Last edited by Driftryder; 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                          Did Marshall bang your GF or something?

You seem to have an axe to grind, I think I will wait to actually see him play for the Maroon & Gold before making any judgement.
                          Beat him out for a slot on some team, I'll bet...

Comment

So the only way you can have an opinion about a player is only after they skate for the M and G? or if that player has beaten you personally out of a spot or icetime?

How about the fact I have been watching teams he has been on since squirts? He has a history of injuries, bad injuries. Reading and copying his stats from the USHL web site obiviously gives you a much better idea of what type of player he is. I am Sorry that I tried to pull one over on you apparent experts of the sport. I am also sorry that my experience has some how led you to dig up old feelings you might have had when your GF left you for another.

My guess is you are also really excited for the Reilly boys to show up next season also.

Comment

So the only way you can have an opinion about a player is only after they skate for the M and G? or if that player has beaten you personally out of a spot or icetime?

How about the fact I have been watching teams he has been on since squirts? He has a history of injuries, bad injuries. Reading and copying his stats from the USHL web site obiviously gives you a much better idea of what type of player he is. I am Sorry that I tried to pull one over on you apparent experts of the sport. I am also sorry that my experience has some how led you to dig up old feelings you might have had when your GF left you for another.

My guess is you are also really excited for the Reilly boys to show up next season also.
                              Sorry that I find his more recent stats and accomplishments to be more compelling. Both of which discredit your analysis of him being soft and being weak defensively.

You aren't the only one who has watched him progress as a player. And aside from his injury history, I disagree with your analysis. You see, I too am entitled to an opinion. I just choose to use facts and not conjecture to back mine up.

And for the record, the Reilly brothers aren't coming in next season.
                              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Ignore the troll, people.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X