Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Minnesota Offseason Thread

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Things will change for the better. Re-hiring him probably saved Don Lucia's job and that is probably why Mike got promoted to associate head coach. A much deserved promotion. I look forward to the Gopher defense being improved and it might even help them get home ice advantage. lol
    +1
    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Article in the St. Cloud Times

The University of Minnesota men’s hockey team is in preliminary discussions with St. Cloud State, Bemidji State and Minnesota State-Mankato about playing nonconference games and a tournament both on an annual basis, according to Gophers coach Don Lucia.

Lucia said he has talked with Huskies coach Bob Motzko, Beavers coach Tom Serratore and Mavericks coach Troy Jutting about the Gophers playing games against their programs beginning in 2013-14, which is the first season that the Gophers and Wisconsin leave the Western Collegiate Hockey Association for the Big Ten Conference.

Lucia also said that he plans to talk with Minnesota-Duluth coach Scott Sandelin about the same arrangement with the Bulldogs, who also leave the WCHA after the 2012-13 season and will join the newly formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

“We have 14 nonleague games to work with and our goal is to play those (four) teams every year,” Lucia said. “It would be good for our program, all the other programs and for the state of Minnesota.

“I think it’s a win-win for everyone, for our fans and the proximity of playing each other. We should continue playing each other.”
      Motzko said he is excited about working toward continuing to play against the Gophers.
      “It’s a great rivalry and this is important to all of us,” Motzko said of the schools involved.

“The details will all be worked out, but there will be games in our building and in their building (in the series).”
      The proposed tournament would be played on the same weekend every year at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, which has been the annual site of the WCHA Final Five Tournament.

It would be a four-team tournament, meaning there would be a rotation and one school a year would not play in the tournament.

“That’s something we’d be obviously be interested in and we’re talking some concepts right now,” Lucia said. “If we were all still in the same league, maybe it wouldn’t happen.
      “If it’s the same weekend every year, it becomes a destination for four schools every year, people can book reservations for a great weekend of college hockey.”

Motzko said that there has been talk of a possible tournament for a number of years, but cautioned that there a lot of details to be worked out before it becomes official.
      “It’s a long, long way to go before all that is done, but it makes a lot sense for everybody involved,” Motzko said. “The potential is there for just a big-time event.
      “I hope that there’s no snags and everything can come through.”

Lucia said that the departure of five schools from the WCHA — Colorado College, Denver, Minnesota-Duluth, Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota — to form the NCHC helped spur the discussions.

“In light of what’s happened the last couple weeks, we decided it was time to get proactive on how we can make hockey great in our state down the line,” Lucia said.
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
        Article in the St. Cloud Times
        This is a classy move by Lucia and the Gopher's program. A MN team tournament will be great for the smaller MN schools. It will be great for the local economy. I also think it will help the Minnesota schools retain a lot of their home grown talent.

Just the fact they are willing to schedule the other in-state programs on a regular basis will be a big boast to the small schools.

Nice to see people making moves to keep the sport strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
          This is a classy move by Lucia and the Gopher's program. A MN team tournament will be great for the smaller MN schools. It will be great for the local economy. I also think it will help the Minnesota schools retain a lot of their home grown talent.

Just the fact they are willing to schedule the other in-state programs on a regular basis will be a big boast to the small schools.

Nice to see people making moves to keep the sport strong.
          Yeah I like the move and think a tourney at the X every year could be a big success.
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

Awesome. Hope they can make this work.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• So, what does everyone think of Roman's line projections? Defensive pairings? Yours?

http://bit.ly/mJSJed

The Rau-Bjugstad-Budish pairing is intriguing, but I'm not sure if we'll see Rau start the season on the first line. Not that he doesn't have the talent. I do think Bjugstad and Budish's size could create some space for Rau, so who knows. I like the fact that he had Ambroz and Haula on the same line. Should be some familiarity and chemistry there. I had no real objections with his defensive pairings. Guentzel has some talent to work with, that's for sure. They will be young though.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                So, what does everyone think of Roman's line projections? Defensive pairings? Yours?

http://bit.ly/mJSJed

The Rau-Bjugstad-Budish pairing is intriguing, but I'm not sure if we'll see Rau start the season on the first line. Not that he doesn't have the talent. I do think Bjugstad and Budish's size could create some space for Rau, so who knows. I like the fact that he had Ambroz and Haula on the same line. Should be some familiarity and chemistry there. I had no real objections with his defensive pairings. Guentzel has some talent to work with, that's for sure. They will be young though.
                Roman should know by now that under Lucia's system, trying to predict line configurations before March 2012 is an exercise in futility.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Roman should know by now that under Lucia's system, trying to predict line configurations before March 2012 is an exercise in futility.
                  True. Fun to think about though.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    True. Fun to think about though.
                    I'm very optimistic about this coming season. We got some very talented returning forwards in Bjugstad, Budish, Haula, Hansen and good speed with Condon, Matson. I have no doubt Rau and Ambroz will add much needed scoring. At this point, Rau reminds me a lot of Troy Riddle. I certainly think the potential is there for Rau to have a WCHA Rookie of the Year season and provide a lot of scoring offense for the Gophers. Likewise with Seth Ambroz, I think he's set his sights on showing that he's better than a fifth round NHL draft pick and I expect to see a lot of raw hustle, physicality and scoring from Seth. With MG back, it's expected the D will improve. Mark Alt started to really find his niche and look very good on D towards the end of last season. I think if he has the kind of breakout season he's capable of, he will may be well on his way to becoming one of the top defensemen in the WCHA. One of the best goalies in the WCHA last season, Kent Patterson (St. Pat) is back for his senior season. I would expect him to once again be near the top of list of the best goalies in the league.

Overall, with the coaching change and new energy and potential coming into the program, and solid goaltending, I think the Gophers do very well this season (on paper).
                    Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                      I'm very optimistic about this coming season. We got some very talented returning forwards in Bjugstad, Budish, Haula, Hansen and good speed with Condon, Matson. I have no doubt Rau and Ambroz will add much needed scoring. At this point, Rau reminds me a lot of Troy Riddle. I certainly think the potential is there for Rau to have a WCHA Rookie of the Year season and provide a lot of scoring offense for the Gophers. Likewise with Seth Ambroz, I think he's set his sights on showing that he's better than a fifth round NHL draft pick and I expect to see a lot of raw hustle, physicality and scoring from Seth. With MG back, it's expected the D will improve. Mark Alt started to really find his niche and look very good on D towards the end of last season. I think if he has the kind of breakout season he's capable of, he will may be well on his way to becoming one of the top defensemen in the WCHA. One of the best goalies in the WCHA last season, Kent Patterson (St. Pat) is back for his senior season. I would expect him to once again be near the top of list of the best goalies in the league.

Overall, with the coaching change and new energy and potential coming into the program, and solid goaltending, I think the Gophers do very well this season (on paper).
                      Absolutely agree. I'm pretty pumped too. It's been a while since Gopher fans have had this much reason for optimism. I like the use of the word "energy". That is EXACTLY what I think has been missing the last 4+ years. At times it almost seemed like the team was just going through the motions.

Not only will Guentzel bring energy (and competence) back to the program, but as you said Ambroz will be coming in with a chip on his shoulder. And one of the things I like the best about Kyle Rau is the energy he brings. When he's on the ice it picks up the play of the other players who are out there. Not only is the kid highly skilled, but he goes balls out every second of every shift. Love it!

Comment

Putting Rau at wing doesn't make sense to me. He is a center. Not saying on any specific line. Just keep the kid at center... and let him make plays.

And Boyd will be higher on the depth chart than that. He's got more ability than some of the guys listed above him.

One thing... its going to be competitive and I really like the depth/talent up front.
                        Last edited by Hammy; 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Rau is a talented kid and I wish he was on my squad. However, do people really think he is going to light it up straight out of high school? I will be shocked if he gets over 30 points next year.
                          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            Rau is a talented kid and I wish he was on my squad. However, do people really think he is going to light it up straight out of high school? I will be shocked if he gets over 30 points next year.
                            20 to 30 points sounds about right.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                              I'm not saying Rau will put up over 30 pts this season, but he certainly has the talent to do it. Look at what he did after getting to the USHL this year.

That said, the thing I am most excited about with Rau is his energy. He's an intelligent, high-energy player. That, and the kid is a winner. Two state championships, and an overtime goal to send EP to state and an overtime goal to win state for EP this year. I think he's going to make a big impact this season.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                                After watching Kyle Rau in the USHL playoffs for Sioux Falls, there's no doubt in my mind that he's talented enough to step up his game to adapt and compete at a higher level of play. He's a true goal scorer/sniper, great speed and a total gamer who is not afraid to hit either. I don't like to place high expectations on HS grads either, but from what I've seen so far I honestly wouldn't be shocked at all if he goes over 30 points.

Comment

Working...
                                X