Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
    Very nice! How many of you will be there???
    I dunno if I will get there in time tonight but plan on being at DJs for awhile saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      "I just dont see that happening ever. If anything, UNL starts hockey before UNO gets into the Big 10."

Then we better see them putting ice making capability in that new arena downtown, something that ain't currently part of the design.

Further, we could then make UNL commit one way or the other by doing applying. I have been told by several individuals that Tom Osborne is pretty cool to the idea of hockey at UNL although I don't know why that would be and I don't know if it's true, even. It would certainly become a better revenue sport than basketball ever will. NU basketball is nobody, doing nothing, going nowhere. Never has and never will. New facilities or not. If UNL did upgrade to D-1 hockey, I submit that the hockey team would win a National Championship before UNL ever wins a NCAA tournament basketball game. Anybody ever been to a Husker Hockey game? I have, they play in Fremont:

http://www.huskerhockey.com/

It's a disgrace that their isn't ice at the Devaney so they can play there or, that they can't even play at the Icebox, which the University, I believe, now owns.
      Youre right, there arent any plans at the time, but there is room for a NHL sized rink if need be.
      http://huskerextra.com/sports/mens-b...f7aee4460.html

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
        I dunno if I will get there in time tonight but plan on being at DJs for awhile saturday.
        If any of you are at DJ's tonight, I will be there. Look for the ginger with the Boone and you will find me!
        Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
        www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

• Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
          If any of you are at DJ's tonight, I will be there. Look for the ginger with the Boone and you will find me!
          At DJs...great place!
          Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Sodbusters answer to getting beat? Show up naked to the interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ6Fn...layer_embedded

At the 17 second mark.

Comment

Great game last night!!! The crowd was outstanding. Lets ramp it up tonight. More people and more noise. Lets break out the brooms! GO MAVERICKS!!!!

Comment

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to tell you how impressed I was with your fans on Friday night. We had some great banter (kept it clean) with the fans around us, all of the UNO fans were incredibly welcoming and even my parents had a great time.

Regardless of how your season turns out, you have a lot to be proud of!

Thank You for the hospitality and the great sportmanship!

RIP Butch

sigpic
                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

O.K., so we're not winning the MacNaughton Cup.

That said, I don't get our poll ranking at #12 at all. It's the most out-of-sorts ranking compared to Pairwise of anybody else in the poll. We should be #5 or #6. 2 of North Dakota's losses are to us. 1 of Michigan's. 1 of Denver's. We put the worst home beating in the history of the new Ralph on the #1 team, for crying out loud, on national television. UNO leads the nation in shots on goal, shots on goal versus shots allowed differential, shutouts, and has played the 9th toughest schedule in the country. I mean, what more do you want? I'm not saying we are going to win the National Championship, but, I would not be shocked if we did. We are one of the 6 or 8 teams with a legitimate shot, IMHO (most of whom are WCHA teams).

Would YOU want to play us?

We aren't getting much respect because, we are UNO, I guess.

In any event, the wife and I are heading to Duluth for the UMD series. I talked to Dave Ahlers on Friday and he told me that the Blue Line Club originally had a bus trip planned to UMD for this series but it fell through. He did not say why. He opined that we might be kinda lonely up there. Hope UMD likes cow bells. Hope we get to use them a lot.

We can still finish 2nd. That, in and of itself, would be a huge accomplishment. It's already the greatest season in school history. We wanna be there and see it through.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to tell you how impressed I was with your fans on Friday night. We had some great banter (kept it clean) with the fans around us, all of the UNO fans were incredibly welcoming and even my parents had a great time.

Regardless of how your season turns out, you have a lot to be proud of!

Thank You for the hospitality and the great sportmanship!
                    Thank you for the kind words. Glad you had a good time. Saturday night had about 2,500 more fans in the building but y'all didnt give us much to cheer about

Hopefully see you guys again in St. Paul! GO MAVS!

Comment

O.K., so we're not winning the MacNaughton Cup.

That said, I don't get our poll ranking at #12 at all. It's the most out-of-sorts ranking compared to Pairwise of anybody else in the poll. We should be #5 or #6. 2 of North Dakota's losses are to us. 1 of Michigan's. 1 of Denver's. We put the worst home beating in the history of the new Ralph on the #1 team, for crying out loud, on national television. UNO leads the nation in shots on goal, shots on goal versus shots allowed differential, shutouts, and has played the 9th toughest schedule in the country. I mean, what more do you want? I'm not saying we are going to win the National Championship, but, I would not be shocked if we did. We are one of the 6 or 8 teams with a legitimate shot, IMHO (most of whom are WCHA teams).

Would YOU want to play us?

We aren't getting much respect because, we are UNO, I guess.

In any event, the wife and I are heading to Duluth for the UMD series. I talked to Dave Ahlers on Friday and he told me that the Blue Line Club originally had a bus trip planned to UMD for this series but it fell through. He did not say why. He opined that we might be kinda lonely up there. Hope UMD likes cow bells. Hope we get to use them a lot.

We can still finish 2nd. That, in and of itself, would be a huge accomplishment. It's already the greatest season in school history. We wanna be there and see it through.
                      Why are you so hung up on the polls? They mean nothing. UNO has had a terrific year, proven themselves as a solid program in a tough league.
                      I am happy that you presented your resume, but you forgot to mention getting swept twice this season by teams barely hanging onto TUC status (QU, BSU) and splitting w/ UAA. Then there was that awful loss to UAH. Those add into the recipe that the people that make up polls look at, too.

Being in the WCHA doesn't grant an entitlement (as much as some think) even with the schedule in that league, but don't get carried away, either. There are a few good teams in other leagues that will have something to say about the NC, more than you are giving credit to outside the W. I'm sure UNO will be in that mix, though, as one of maybe five teams from the W in the NCAA playoffs. If Mav fans want the respect you are seeking, try doing what your program did this season nineteen or twenty more times in a row. One season is nice, doing it consistently will earn more favor.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        Why are you so hung up on the polls? They mean nothing. UNO has had a terrific year, proven themselves as a solid program in a tough league.
                        I am happy that you presented your resume, but you forgot to mention getting swept twice this season by teams barely hanging onto TUC status (QU, BSU) and splitting w/ UAA. Then there was that awful loss to UAH. Those add into the recipe that the people that make up polls look at, too.

Being in the WCHA doesn't grant an entitlement (as much as some think) even with the schedule in that league, but don't get carried away, either. There are a few good teams in other leagues that will have something to say about the NC, more than you are giving credit to outside the W. I'm sure UNO will be in that mix, though, as one of maybe five teams from the W in the NCAA playoffs. If Mav fans want the respect you are seeking, try doing what your program did this season nineteen or twenty more times in a row. One season is nice, doing it consistently will earn more favor.
                        One nice thing about this sport is that it's ultimately decided on the ice. It's that simple. It doesn't matter where a team is in the polls (or the PWR for that matter), win and you keep playing. Lose and go home.
                        Go Sioux!!!
                        Go Cadets!!!

Comment

O.K. The wife and arrived in Duluth this afternoon ,checked into our hotel in downtown (Fitger's), and went down the street to eat at Pizza Luce', which was highly recommended to us in the UMD thread (deservedly so). We walked in, and, blaring on the sound system in there, I swear I am not kidding, was Skillet's "Hero".

I told my wife it had to be a sign.

We won't belong "alone" tonight. Ran into a carload of UNO fans decked out in UNO gear at a rest stop on the way up about 60 miles south of Duluth on I-35 and also saw somebody wearing a UNO jersey on the street when I was parking my car at the the hotel.

We'll see what UMD fan thinks of our cowbells.

Comment

Tech fans have them so we won't think too much of them.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Probably not much when you only get to ring them once during the game.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Some quick random thoughts about the UMD experience before heading over to Amsoil for tonight's game.

Amsoil arena is way too small for UNO's needs. There is a lot of wasted space in the arena, too, on the penalty box side between the seats and the luxury boxes. There is upwards of a 20 foot sheer wall there with the UMD marquee on it that could be an area with more seats, IMHO. The upper level does not go all the way around the arena, either.

The video board clarity on the scoreboard blows the Qwest Center's away, as does the quality of what and how it's presented. It does not appear to be a Daktronics scoreboaard, by the way. Better quality sound system as well.

The upper level, as near as I could tell (I am sitting up there again tonight) has no concession stands and no restrooms on that level. Hated that. The upper concourse, at the very top, is ringed by a bar-like table-top railing just behind the last row of seats that has pull up bar stool type seats that you can sit at. These appeared to be numbered and I assume they are ticketed spots and, in such a small arena, I liked it.

There are not enough concession stands. Couldn't get near them and gave up trying. No alcohol is served in Amsoil, either. More on that momentarily.

Despite what Chad Purcell said in the World Herald, I didn't find the atmosphere particularly "raucous".

In the upper deck, anyway, I saw no ushers and, therefore, no control exerted over people coming in and sitting while play was going on. That was a fiasco. I would have thought that they'd be more hockey savvy than that here. Was a big problem and a negative.

The band's presence at the game was a huge plus and they have them parked right at the top of the student section, which is the whole lower level at one end and it was packed. The game, however, was not a sell-out.

A prerequisite for being a cheerleader at UMD, we were told, is that they MUST know how to skate. Their presence on the ice between periods, but, particularly before the game during player intros and UMD taking the ice, added a LOT to the presentation. I was very surprised by this and it made me a little envious, its so well done. It helps that they have a group of extraordinarily well put together girls, too.

Didn't like that the visiting team takes the ice from the opposite side of the rink as the home team. This means that the visiting team's entire staff has to gingerly walk across the ice to get to the bench while both teams are buzzing around the ice before the game and at the end of each intermission. Coach Blais about went down once!

There is an enormous Curling complex and club as a part of the overall complex and you can go in there before the game and buy a weekend "membership" (for five bucks), whereby you can go in there and have drinks. I went there with my wife and a couple UNO fans that are staying in our hotel that came up from Red Oak and went to the game in the courtesy van with us. The club was loaded with UMD fans. It was like that scene in Animal House where those guys went into the wrong bar on their "road trip". We stood out like a sore thumb since we were the ONLY 4 people in the club in UNO gear amid a sea of maroon and gold jerseys. Everyone was extraordinarily friendly, however.

Way more UNO fans at the game than I expected to see. FAR more. Kinda surprised me. Lots of cowbells, including ours.

We need to play better tonight.
                                Last edited by Red Cows; 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X