Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Great game last night!! If you would have told me back in October we'd be sitting at 3rd at the end of the season, I wouldve asked for some of what you were smoking. What a fun year and now its about to really get exciting. Time to skin the beavers!!

I agree with you RC on the scoreboard issue. I wasnt in Duluth but Ive seen the resolution of the videoboards out there now and Qwest needs to seriously upgrade.

Comment

Hopefully you enjoyed Saturday's game more than Friday Red Cow. We played mucho better! Locked up third in the WCHA in our first year! I would feel much more confident if we beat Bemidji this week, but in any of your opinions, is there a scenario where the regular season third place WCHA team who gets beat in the first round of the playoffs does NOT make the NCAAs? Meaning, with last night's win, have we locked up an NCAA bid regardless of this weekend?
      If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Thats a great question. Can any of you fellow WCHAers help out with that one?

Comment

And UNO will be facing their Achilles heel in the WCHA....Bemidji State

Here's to hoping for a quick sweep!

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
            Hopefully you enjoyed Saturday's game more than Friday Red Cow. We played mucho better! Locked up third in the WCHA in our first year! I would feel much more confident if we beat Bemidji this week, but in any of your opinions, is there a scenario where the regular season third place WCHA team who gets beat in the first round of the playoffs does NOT make the NCAAs? Meaning, with last night's win, have we locked up an NCAA bid regardless of this weekend?
            Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
            Thats a great question. Can any of you fellow WCHAers help out with that one?
            I would say yes. To confirm you could have someone run a bunch of scenarios with the PWR. I know if UMD had won last night we would have locked up a NCAA bid.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Duluth post mortem.

Very good experience. My preconceived notions about Duluth got blown away. Jeez, it might be hillier than San Francisco, I think. The wife would like to go back for a warm weather visit. All the restaurants we got sent to in the UMD thread were as advertised.

I am hard pressed to think of two UNO games against an opponent in a weekend series I have seen that were so parallel opposites of one another. It was almost like the two teams traded uniforms from one night to the next. One constant was how well John Faulkner played both nights. It's really a miracle we didn't get beat much worse on Friday night, that's how good he was. I thought Friday night was one of our poorer efforts of the season. Our power play play concerns me. We are playing dump and chase from WAY too far out beyond the blue line and counting on our forwards to get there first or win the battle for the puck and get the power play set-up. FYI, the very knowledgeable fans sitting behind us on Friday night were openly laughing at the futility of our power play that night. Embarrassing.

There is some kind of promotion at UMD whereby all the fans get free ice cream when the Bulldogs get 5 goals in a game. Once they got to 4 in the Friday night game, there were "We Want Ice Cream" chants from the crowd. Didn't happen.

Interestingly, on Saturday nght, there were even MORE UNO fans at the game than there were Friday night. Once WE got to five goals, there was a very noticeable "We Want Ice Cream" chant from all UNO fans in the building. A proud moment. UMD fan was not amused.

Heard plenty of cowbells both nights, including ours. They are used to MSU fans bringing them, by the way. Hadn't really thought of that, frankly

Finally, it was our pleasure to have a couple beers both Friday and Saturday night with the parents of UMD captain Mike Montgomery, Bob and Brenda, in the Curling Club at the DECC complex. I outlined the "nuances" of the Curling Club in a post above. The funny part of that is that we didnt know that's who they were until Saturday night, which was Senior Night at UMD, and we saw them on the ice being introduced with their son between periods! Now I know why they were such knowledgeable UMD fans. Nice folks. Mike Kemp also popped in while we were there.

They announced a sellout Saturday night but the place was NOT full. They must announce seats sold instead of bodies in seats like we do and they have problems with all ticket holders showing just like we do, which I will never understand.

Instead of driving all the way home today, we are currently stuck in St Cloud due to the weather. FYI, our UNO gear got odd stares in Granite City Brewery tonight in St. Cloud. Shoulda brought our cowbells there.

Comment

MTU fans have a cowbell as well a very annoying one at that
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                  They announced a sellout Saturday night but the place was NOT full. They must announce seats sold instead of bodies in seats like we do and they have problems with all ticket holders showing just like we do, which I will never understand.
                  That is the one downfall to the bulldog club lounge located SE corner of the building. Season ticket holders dont sit in their seats for the game they view from the lounge, therefor appearing emptier than full. Also having the open concourse alot of people stand at the rail to chat.

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
                    I agree with you RC on the scoreboard issue. I wasnt in Duluth but Ive seen the resolution of the videoboards out there now and Qwest needs to seriously upgrade.
                    Good thing they're doing it, then. New video boards will be in place before the 2012 NCAA basketball tournament comes to town. Frankly, if I had to guess, they'll get installed this summer or fall before basketball and hockey start back up.

Comment

Duluth post mortem.

Very good experience. My preconceived notions about Duluth got blown away. Jeez, it might be hillier than San Francisco, I think. The wife would like to go back for a warm weather visit. All the restaurants we got sent to in the UMD thread were as advertised.
                      What restaurants did you end up eat at aside from Pizza Luce?

And I agree with NickUMD.

We are WAY more used to having MTU fans having cowbells so it really wasn't that annoying. I even own one myself.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Good thing they're doing it, then. New video boards will be in place before the 2012 NCAA basketball tournament comes to town. Frankly, if I had to guess, they'll get installed this summer or fall before basketball and hockey start back up.
                        A THOUSAND TIMES YES!! Cant wait to see the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          What restaurants did you end up eat at aside from Pizza Luce?

And I agree with NickUMD.

We are WAY more used to having MTU fans having cowbells so it really wasn't that annoying. I even own one myself.
                          Besides Pizza Luce', which we went to immediately upon hitting town, we ate at the Brewhouse at Fitger's (where we were staying) after the game Friday night. It was okay. Bought some growlers that I brought home. Pizza Luce' is very very good. The only place in Omaha that compares is Goodnight's.

For lunch on Saturday we ate at The Duluth Grill. Even at 2:00 P.M. it was so busy you'd have thought they were giving money away. Great food. They have everything Guy Fieri ate that was featured on the show when he was there so noted on the menu. We both picked out entree's he'd tried. After the game on Saturday night we ate at Mexico Lindo at Fitger's. It was just okay. They did have good habanero salsa, though, and I don't even like habaneros. The owner talked me into trying it.

Sunday brunch, just before leaving town, we ate a Lake Avenue Cafe, where we were waited on by a strangely hot waitress. The food there was superb as well. That whole Canal Park area is something that Duluth should be proud of.

Went to the railroad museum and the maritime museum on Saturday and both places were time well spent.

Comment

So what are the predictions for this weekend? I'm going with Mavs in 3.
                            If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Besides Pizza Luce', which we went to immediately upon hitting town, we ate at the Brewhouse at Fitger's (where we were staying) after the game Friday night. It was okay. Bought some growlers that I brought home. Pizza Luce' is very very good. The only place in Omaha that compares is Goodnight's.

For lunch on Saturday we ate at The Duluth Grill. Even at 2:00 P.M. it was so busy you'd have thought they were giving money away. Great food. They have everything Guy Fieri ate that was featured on the show when he was there so noted on the menu. We both picked out entree's he'd tried. After the game on Saturday night we ate at Mexico Lindo at Fitger's. It was just okay. They did have good habanero salsa, though, and I don't even like habaneros. The owner talked me into trying it.

Sunday brunch, just before leaving town, we ate a Lake Avenue Cafe, where we were waited on by a strangely hot waitress. The food there was superb as well. That whole Canal Park area is something that Duluth should be proud of.

Went to the railroad museum and the maritime museum on Saturday and both places were time well spent.
                              I find that surprising that you thought Mexico Lindo was just "okay". I think the food is beyond okay. I still need to try Duluth Grill (being in West Duluth a place I don't get to very often) and Fitgers is okay. I've only been there a couple times. I hear their burgers are the best.

Too bad you couldn't make it out to the Anchor Bar. Well worth the trip. Something for next time.

Canal Park, the Railroad Museum and the Maritime Museum are all great things in the city of Duluth.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                I find that surprising that you thought Mexico Lindo was just "okay". I think the food is beyond okay. I still need to try Duluth Grill (being in West Duluth a place I don't get to very often) and Fitgers is okay. I've only been there a couple times. I hear their burgers are the best.

Too bad you couldn't make it out to the Anchor Bar. Well worth the trip. Something for next time.

Canal Park, the Railroad Museum and the Maritime Museum are all great things in the city of Duluth.
                                I think we are far enough south that Mexcian food is just better here. Almost 10% of Omaha's population is Hispanic. The menu in the South Omaha McDonald's on 24th Street, is in Spanish when you walk in there, not in English. The Hy Vee grocery store in that same area has a ginormous Hispanic food section.

My wife runs the culinary school here in Omaha, The Institute for the Culinary Arts, where she is the Director, and I can't tell you how impressed she was with the food scene there in Duluth. Like I said in an earlier post, she wants to make a warm weather trip there.

I ate what the waiter told me was the best thing on the menu at Mexico Lindo, pork in chili verde sauce. I thought it had an odd flavor. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the waiter. I'd try the restaurant again since it's likely we'd stay at Fitger's again year after next since I am reasonably sure we'll come again.

Oh, and by the way, UNO won and looked good on Saturday night.

UMD is a very good up and down the ice team not too dissimilar from us, sorta like Coach Blais said in the paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X