X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Least surprising news of the week alert:

Denver's George Gwozdecky is "not interested at all" in Michigan State job.
    at this time
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I'm not a betting man, but I'm willing to put some (slight) amount out there that the new coach is already decided. Could I be wrong? I think that the chatter on Cole is too much to think that he's not already looking at houses.
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

I concur
        Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

When Markell came to OSU he resurrected a program that was basically at the bottom. In three years time he and the team were in the Frozen Four. Not a bad accomplishment! If you are looking for faults, as it appears that is the primary purpose of these forums, Markell is probably guilty of not trying to load his non-CCHA schedule with "easy" wins like OSU football does. Instead his philosophy was to try and get the team exposure that would assist them in improvements. Last year for instance, they played in North Dakota and played Denver twice. The majority of his coaching difficulties came from a University that is so vested to football and basketball they totally ignore hockey. While Markell and his staff did the best they could to overcome those obstacles it doesn't help in recruitment and retention.
          Most of those who don't follow OSU hockey don't fully understand the lack of support for the program. His team practiced less time on the Schott ice (where the games are played) than competitive games played. Their locker rooms were in the Schott so that meant almost every practice they were hauling players around with their gear via vans to go to the older rink near St. John's for the majority of their practices; almost reminds you of the Pee Wee hockey days with your children. Heck, at times when the players had to bring their vehicles over, the coaching staff had to argue with OSU traffic because they were giving them parking tickets in the lots due to incorrect "OSU parking tags". During the CCHA playoffs, due to "scheduling conflicts" OSU would not reserved the regular season Schott ice for them but would make them play at the old ice which seats maybe 900 people, if that. Any of you familiar with hockey knows it is a small world and things like this get out, recruiting key players and retention becomes a problem; OSU was/is not supporting their program. Markell started a Christmas Tournament to give more visibility to the program and it was successful for about 5 years yet OSU pulled the plug on the local tournament.
          My original intent of these posts was just to make people aware that there is a viable experienced coach available. I would hope that Michigan State would allow him to interview so that they can get a feel for his experience and abilities. Certainly they have the final say in all of this but I know that Markell would bring not only professionalism and recruiting abilities to the MS program but also a philosophy about caring for the players and their educational accomplishments. Thanks for listening.......

Comment

tOSU fans want Markell at MSU because they want to beat him.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I guess he deserves an interview, but what has Cole really done to deserve that job. I think mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Kick Ice View Post
                I guess he deserves an interview, but what has Cole really done to deserve that job. I think mistake.
                First, I'll be very surprised if Danton Cole isn't the coach at MSU next year...

He has all of the attributes needed to be successful at MSU. He grew up in the Lansing area, played for MSU and knows the traditions, played in the NHL and has a ring to show off, has coached at several different levels, most recently with the U-17 team which could give him an inside track to some top players.

While he was playing for MSU I chatted with a fan sitting next to me who knew Danton. His comment was, "He's the kind of a guy you hope your daughter marries." I think that says a lot for the kind of person he is.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                  First, I'll be very surprised if Danton Cole isn't the coach at MSU next year...
                  I'd be surprised too, he's the feel good choice. The last time MSU hired a feel good choice to coach was John L. Smith. Where is he now(Who cares)? My problem with Cole is if he wants to coach college hockey he should have stayed at Huntsville, he ran out on them and left a mess. Two bad seasons with the Chargers, built that team to look good for only one season, made the NCAA, then ran when things were going south. I wouldn't be surprised to see Comley take over Huntsville and out perform Cole.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    tOSU fans want Markell at MSU because they want to beat him.

GFM
                    It's like State football fans wanting Rich Rodriguez to get a contract extension at Michigan.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

N.U.'s Greg Cronin????????????
                      Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                        N.U.'s Greg Cronin????????????
                        And his assistant.. Let's go recruiting... ;-)
                        "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

There has to be some more "chatter" out there, right? The Spartans are heading into their last regular season series, and so there could be one more weekend then they have to start preparation for next season without Rick Comley at the helm. (hopefully there are more weekends, but, really?) Interviews could begin in a couple of weeks as other teams end their seasons. Somebody should be tapping Hollis' phone and see who he's talking to. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                            There has to be some more "chatter" out there, right? The Spartans are heading into their last regular season series, and so there could be one more weekend then they have to start preparation for next season without Rick Comley at the helm. (hopefully there are more weekends, but, really?) Interviews could begin in a couple of weeks as other teams end their seasons. Somebody should be tapping Hollis' phone and see who he's talking to. ;-)
                            apathy is contag..........................
                            Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Anson Carter's remarks captured by Detroit Free Press article.
                              http://www.freep.com/article/2011030...|text|Sports|p

Comment

When do we find out?
                                Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Working...
                                X