respect by officials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• respect by officials

Being a ref in any sport is a difficult job. I believe all officials do the best they can. Mistakes are made! it's human error nobody is perfect. My issue is the lack of respect many ref,s give the D3 players. NCAA should be more involved. Not having a goal judge makes it that much harder to get things right. Goals are missed or given when they shouldn't be. I can't always blame the ref for being screened or just plain missing it. My issue is the lack of respect shown to Div.3 players. I don't know how many times in just about every game the refs go to the score keeper after a goal and just blurt out some random numbers that are not even close when crediting assist and sometimes goals. There are two refs and a linesman. Players that are not even on the ice get credit for making a perfect pass to set up a goal. Everyone wants recognition for their accomplishments. I realize it isn't the most important issue out there but some players are chasing milestones in their career and work just as hard as any Div. 1 player yet many refs treat them like they are second class players. Get it right it can't be that difficult. The players will have more respect for you. Just imagine officiating a game and finding out your check was givin to someone else. These young men worked and earned their points. try putting yourself in their shoes. The least you can do is try and get it right.

Re: respect by officials

A lot of times, the coach or bench will change the scoring details of a goal, which is standard. The refs usually have a lot of stuff going on, and often ask the scoring player who assisted and take their word. sorry your son got cheated out of some points, but its probably not the refs fault.
    Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
    2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
    2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
    2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
    "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Originally posted by Wormser-PointRC View Post
      A lot of times, the coach or bench will change the scoring details of a goal, which is standard. The refs usually have a lot of stuff going on, and often ask the scoring player who assisted and take their word. sorry your son got cheated out of some points, but its probably not the refs fault.
      Exactly. As an SID, I've found the refs have been way off countless times this season and we just go by what we see live and on video replay.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by lancer11 View Post
        The least you can do is try and get it right.
        If you don't think D-III refs "try and get it right," you obviously haven't spoken with many officials.

Also, every D-III game I've ever been to has had a goal judge.

In fact, I'd argue that it's backwards - the players don't give the referees enough respect.... But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
          Judging from what George Commo said on Friday night, there were no goal judges at Wesleyan. I understand that at some of the ECAC NE and MASCAC rinks there are no goal judges
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            Judging from what George Commo said on Friday night, there were no goal judges at Wesleyan. I understand that at some of the ECAC NE and MASCAC rinks there are no goal judges
            Gotcha.

Standard out West where it's presumably more civilized than the CCCP.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
              If you don't think D-III refs "try and get it right," you obviously haven't spoken with many officials.

In fact, I'd argue that it's backwards - the players don't give the referees enough respect.... But that's just me.
              Goal judge? Obviously you've never been to a MASCAC game. Very few, it any have a goal judge. Sadly, SSU is one of those.

You're last sentence - some don't, most do. And the fans are worse.

On the assists, Prez is right. The stat keepers upstairs *should* be keeping track of goals and assists. When I kept score in EJHL games, I'd ask the coaches after the period if the G and A were right.

Now shots on goal.....
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

As mentioned by other posters, the respect factor is missing in many games and from both sides of the ice. I have seen coaches abuse officials over both minor and major situations where they feel "robbed", and also where they just want to impress upon their team that they are fighting for them. The trickle=down effect of that is that the players also display a lack of respect for the officials. Fortunately, good officials will call penalties for poor sportsmanship which tend to keep the rhetoric to a minimum.

Where the fans get involved, there is very little that the officials can do, and as has been validated in a few cases, the fan reaction can sometimes pose a really dangerous situation, and even bodily harm. DIII officials have all been credentialed, and are sometimes the same ones who are assigned to DI games. I am sure that the NC$$ reviews games and rates officials on-ice performance accordingly. I have seen some of the evaluation sheets and they are pretty comprehensive. Whether action is taken to address any of the problems with particular officials or not is questionable. Maybe this is an area where improvement can be made.
                Last edited by Rayolite; 01-23-2011, 11:32 PM.
                Real Life is drawing without an eraser.

Comment

Goal Judges what are they??? ....As someone who has been the official scorer for a number of NCAA games: the refs try but sometimes it's hard to get everything...I have had refs come up and say stuff like "pick a guy" or they pick somebody number who wasn't dressed...The real responsibility to get it right belongs to the official scorer...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                    Goal Judges what are they??? ....As someone who has been the official scorer for a number of NCAA games: the refs try but sometimes it's hard to get everything...I have had refs come up and say stuff like "pick a guy" or they pick somebody number who wasn't dressed...The real responsibility to get it right belongs to the official scorer...
                    Been in both of those situations. Fortunately, I was close enough to be able to ask the team involved what the score sheet SHOULD read. Best one I've ever heard was "(goalscorer) from (first assist) and whoever that defenseman was." Funniest part is, the defenseman was the one who had actually scored the G, the other 2 had the As. But again, our coaches will step in after the fact and correct any mistakes on Gs and As.
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                      Been in both of those situations. Fortunately, I was close enough to be able to ask the team involved what the score sheet SHOULD read. Best one I've ever heard was "(goalscorer) from (first assist) and whoever that defenseman was." Funniest part is, the defenseman was the one who had actually scored the G, the other 2 had the As. But again, our coaches will step in after the fact and correct any mistakes on Gs and As.

In fact I was doing a game earlier this year and out own famous "Prze" changed a goal during the 2nd intermission for me...It was a Norwich women's game...Forget all about that....

Comment

I've been to many D3 games over the years. The refs are always doing their best. Nobody ever goes to work to purposely do a poor job. Impartial goal judges should be mandatory at every game as the refs are not always in position to see everything. That's why there is video replay in the NHL. I say impartial because I was at a game at Hobart and the goal judge awarded Hobart a goal when I clearly saw it did not go over the goal line. I was standing in the corner and had a good vantage point. The goal judge that day was a Hobart student and he smiled to his buddies as the referee dropped the pick at center ice.
                        www.sickhockeygear.com

Comment

you proved my point. Would D1 have a student as a goal judge? Does BU BC UNH etc have their students as goal judges? This is what I mean. It is a total lack
                          of respect by ncaa to the D3 players. Most have worked just as hard to be able to play. Why arn't they afforded the same respect? Legitimate goal judges, an official
                          score keeper not a time keeper or employee of the school,rink etc. Give these kids the same respect. There are so few collegiate hockey programs compared to all
                          other sports. It is so competitive and all the D3 players want is the feeling they are playing college hockey not high school.

Comment

Originally posted by lancer11 View Post
                            you proved my point. Would D1 have a student as a goal judge? Does BU BC UNH etc have their students as goal judges? This is what I mean. It is a total lack
                            of respect by ncaa to the D3 players. Most have worked just as hard to be able to play. Why arn't they afforded the same respect? Legitimate goal judges, an official
                            score keeper not a time keeper or employee of the school,rink etc. Give these kids the same respect. There are so few collegiate hockey programs compared to all
                            other sports. It is so competitive and all the D3 players want is the feeling they are playing college hockey not high school.
                            Goal judges are not the end-all be-all.

I've seen judges say it's a goal while a ref disagrees with them and doesn't change his mind. I've seen them consult with the goal judge and award a goal when they hadn't initially, as well. If the refs do not believe the puck crossed the line, he should not call it a goal *no matter what*.

Stop seeing only what you want to see, and ignoring the other 10 posts that don't say what you want them to.

Goal judges aren't paid for by the NCAA as far as I know, they're paid for by the school or the rink. That's not a lack of respect by the NCAA, that's how it works at the DI level as well. The DIII schools are the ones choosing to either go without goal judges or just have some student on work study do it. So if you want someone to be mad at, be mad at the schools themselves. Then either make a donation or get over it.

Comment

Goal Judges don't help with Assists. Been there, done that. All a Goal Judge (at any level) can do is advise the Referee if the puck crossed the goal line. Beyond that, the Referees are responsible for every other part of the play. They try their best. When they ask the players who got the assist, the other 4 usually reply with their number. Who do you believe? It's best sort out by teams and Captains and Coaches make the corrections after the period or the game.

Refs are paid through conferences, not the NCAA. Goal Judges are a conference decision. I think they should be mandatory everywhere, but who am I to judge if your institution doesn't want another set of eyes on a net.

Comment

Working...
                              X