Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: Monarchs and More......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    Great to see so many recruits listed. Hopefully, this is the start of an uptick in recruiting.
    I think Maine has done pretty well the last few years. It's been hard to define exactly what a good recruit is but I like what we're bringing in.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: Monarchs and More......

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      As far as goalies go, wasn't Marty ranked higher than Morris
      Yes Martin Ouellette was ranked 13th in the final rankings...As we know from the first two seasons his ranking was based on the potential scouts saw with his size. He did have a good year at Kimball Union, but he wasn't facing top competition like Matt Morris has the last two years in the USHL. If you look at all the goaltenders ranked before Morris they are 6 feet or taller.

Remember those rankings are where scouts see them in the NHL/pro hockey. As we know smaller goaltenders do well in college like Shaun Hunwick (Michigan, who made his NHL debut with Columbus on Saturday) and Andy Iles (Cornell).

Parker Milner was ranked 26th in 2010 in the final rankings and look what just happened.
      USCHO.com's MASCAC and ECAC-Northeast Columnist

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsmaniac View Post
        Yes Martin Ouellette was ranked 13th in the final rankings...As we know from the first two seasons his ranking was based on the potential scouts saw with his size. He did have a good year at Kimball Union, but he wasn't facing top competition like Matt Morris has the last two years in the USHL. If you look at all the goaltenders ranked before Morris they are 6 feet or taller.

Remember those rankings are where scouts see them in the NHL/pro hockey. As we know smaller goaltenders do well in college like Shaun Hunwick (Michigan, who made his NHL debut with Columbus on Saturday) and Andy Iles (Cornell).

Parker Milner was ranked 26th in 2010 in the final rankings and look what just happened.
        Morris will do just fine...plus he was Coached by Jim Montgomery,who in turn had Grant Standbrook come over to Dubuque as a Consultant and who helped out Morris his first Season...the only problem will be coming to Maine and NOT having a Full Time Goaltending Coach.

Comment

There's a limit to the number of paid, full-time coaches you can have. Would you fire Corkum or Kerluke to get that goalie coach?

The general consensus seems to be that Corkum helps make the team better. And under the circumstances, you have to say that recruiting is going pretty well, which is a credit to Kerluke.

I don't see an easy answer.
          Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-11-2012, 10:15 AM.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            There's a limit to the number of paid, full-time coaches you can have. Would you fire Corkum or Kerluke to get that goalie coach?

The general consensus seems to be that Corkum helps make the team better. And under the circumstances, you have to say that recruiting is going pretty well, which is a credit to Kerluke.

How about an unpaid, volunteer coach?

I could be completely wrong but I always thought that Jim Logue was in this category over at BC as the goaltending coach (and he's done an amazing job over the past 15 years) while Cavanaugh and Brown (and previously Rolston and Paluch before he arrived in this spot) were the paid, full-time assistants. Logue fits the bill perfectly as he is up there in age and doesn't need the money, but is a former BC goalie that would do anything to help out the program. Anyone fit that profile for Maine?
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Nick, As usual, you are right on. Only problem is it's harder to get someone up to Orono, Maine to volunteer as opposed to Boston, MA.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

I hear what your saying and know the limit on Coaches...just that all three:TW/Corkum and Kerluke are no help to the netminders(imo)...sadly there's a rift with TW & Grant Standbrook,I know that GS can't coach forever but just having him around would be a plus...again imo. But those are the Cards that are on the table and thats the way it will be for the time being.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportsmaniac View Post
                  Yes Lomberg is highly rated for the 2013 Draft
                  He really is not ready for D1 major college hockey. Has good skills not great skills and is a hanger. Plays no Defense at all. Worst plus/minus on the team. Spoke to several USHL coaches who said he is good offense only player, but not ready for college hockey yet. hope Maine does not bring him in to early and he turns out he gets red shirted because he is not ready like two players had happen to them last year. Better to stay another year in USHL and get bigger and stronger and improve your total game including defense so you can benefit the Maine program vs show up a year to soon and be a defensive liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine nut View Post
                    He really is not ready for D1 major college hockey. Has good skills not great skills and is a hanger. Plays no Defense at all. Worst plus/minus on the team. Spoke to several USHL coaches who said he is good offense only player, but not ready for college hockey yet. hope Maine does not bring him in to early and he turns out he gets red shirted because he is not ready like two players had happen to them last year. Better to stay another year in USHL and get bigger and stronger and improve your total game including defense so you can benefit the Maine program vs show up a year to soon and be a defensive liability.
                    Stu Higgins also led his team in the minus category if I am not mistaken. Maine needs to score goals next year and Lomberg is one of the guys they will count on. Defense can be taught, Lomberg's team this year was not a very good one so he was likely called upon to put the puck in the net. He will learn how to play defense at Maine, and there is no reason to wait a year on someone who was 17 playing in a league with older players who led his team in scoring! He'll make mistakes while learning to be a two-way player at Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post
                      Stu Higgins also led his team in the minus category if I am not mistaken. Maine needs to score goals next year and Lomberg is one of the guys they will count on. Defense can be taught, Lomberg's team this year was not a very good one so he was likely called upon to put the puck in the net. He will learn how to play defense at Maine, and there is no reason to wait a year on someone who was 17 playing in a league with older players who led his team in scoring! He'll make mistakes while learning to be a two-way player at Maine.
                      Disagree sorry, but you need to know how to be a good two way player before you show up at Maine. clearly he has shown he can score against 17 to 19 year olds, but not play defense. What do you think he will do defensively against 20 to 25 year olds that are much faster and stronger players than in the USHL?

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                        I dunno, we've got a lot of defensemen who haven't been taught very well while at Maine.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          I dunno, we've got a lot of defensemen who haven't been taught very well while at Maine.
                          How very sad and true.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine nut View Post
                            Disagree sorry, but you need to know how to be a good two way player before you show up at Maine. clearly he has shown he can score against 17 to 19 year olds, but not play defense. What do you think he will do defensively against 20 to 25 year olds that are much faster and stronger players than in the USHL?
                            Guess we'll see! Ted Purcell was held a year, how'd that work out? Kids gotta play at the next level, he is well regarded and think he will be a top freshmen at Maine. Wally defense and offense are two different positions, thought you had that figured out?? Takes longer for D to adjust at every level!

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Ya think..?

Comment

You can't judge a kid on a last place TEAM because he was minus for the season.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X