Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: Monarchs and More......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: Monarchs and More......

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    there is a finite number of dollars to be spent (getting less and less every year that donors walk away from TIMMY).

Maine could have spent their entire budget for 30 years trying to recruit Gretzky and he still would not have come.
    Is there any evidence Maine isn't recruiting kids because of money? We all want Maine to have more of a presence in Quebec and Atlantic Canada, it's our "home" turf in Canada. Well, when you recruit Quebec and Atlantic Canada, you are recruiting against the QMJHL. Should Maine be taking marginal kids from there just because they are from there? No. Maine is recruiting the best kids in the region, and unfortunately they are getting offered money or whatever it is the Q offers you, so they are going there. Should Maine run up the white flag on recruiting in that area? It seems to me like the level of kids below the commitments they are taking from Quebec and Atlantic Canada are not much better, if at all, than the Monarchs and Boston Advantage kids that Maine is getting from New England.

I keep hearing "recruit the USHL." Aren't the top tier USHL kids usually committed BEFORE getting to the USHL? It would be great if the top of the USHL scoring list was full of Maine recruits, but for the most part these are kids from Minnesota and Michigan and the midwest, and why are they going to commit at 16 to Maine when they can commit to the big midwest programs that are closer to home at the same age?

Everyone keeps asking where the Kariyas and Montgomerys are, but that answer is pretty simple: playing in the CHL, for one, and for two, if they want to come to the US, they are going to one of the schools with state of the art facilities and more recent success. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Maine was like Miami and Notre Dame: the new kid, with a great building, and lots of buzz. Time has made Maine an older "power", the Alfond is still a good building, but needs constant updating and will never be shiny and new like Goggin or whatever ND's arena is, and the buzz has moved on.

Whitehead and Kerluke aren't selling Lexuses and Mercedes, Maine's like a Camry at this point. The facilities are okay but not great, campus itself is decrepit and falling apart (have you set foot in a non-engineering academic building on campus lately? it looks like an inner city public school infrastructure wise), its in the middle of nowhere and its **** cold. BU and BC have nice buildings, in the city, with better academics unless you are an engineer. Kids want to be in the action, 30 year old me loves Maine, 18 year old me couldn't wait to leave.

I don't get your Lundin or Purcell comment, wasn't Gus better than either? Look where they found him.... somewhere no one else was recruiting, and it brought over more Swedes afterwards. Not many others are recruiting Atlantic Canada/Quebec, but tons are recruiting the USHL and its feeders. If you were a USNDPT kid, why the heck would you come to Maine? You're getting recruited by Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan, Notre Dame, Miami, BU, BC... and Maine, the school that is really small and far away with an old building. That's more of a long shot, recruiting and resources wise than it is to roll the dice with the top tier of Atlantic Canada. At least that kid's choice may come down to "Maine or Val d'Or?" as opposed to "Nine other schools plus Maine."

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
      , but I do think it is important to keep it real!
      Whats real is how disappointing the team has been since Grant left
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Whats real is how disappointing the team has been since Grant left
        Amen!

"Keeping it real"......yeah, Bob.....I agree. Just practice what you preach. (see my signature lines for good 'ole Bob's prior proclamations).

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Amen!

"Keeping it real"......yeah, Bob.....I agree. Just practice what you preach. (see my signature lines for good 'ole Bob's prior proclamations).
          Hey Diego, quote me all you want. This past season was a tremendous disappointment and rather than vent or engage I have decided to withdraw! I would say that is a bad sign for Maine Hockey when some of the most ardent supporters have ceased defending and have decided to sit on the sidelines. The only comment I was making had to do with how Maine would never see the likes of Purcell or Lundin due to budgets. That is hogwash as neither were blue chippahs when they arrived in Orono. Don't give a bleep if anyone has contempt for my comments and don't live in the obscurity of all the pseudonym's you all hide behind. My keep it real comment was more an effort to say that it is not a budget issue in terms of recruiting USHL or MN high school kids, as we have more of them coming in. However their are no excuses any more, and I am not about to make them. Last year was an utter disappointment and I don't have high expectations for this year. Congratulations, rest on your laurels. Keep quoting me all you want, but I am a has been!

Comment

Hey Diego, quote me all you want. This past season was a tremendous disappointment and rather than vent or engage I have decided to withdraw! I would say that is a bad sign for Maine Hockey when some of the most ardent supporters have ceased defending and have decided to sit on the sidelines. The only comment I was making had to do with how Maine would never see the likes of Purcell or Lundin due to budgets. That is hogwash as neither were blue chippahs when they arrived in Orono. Don't give a bleep if anyone has contempt for my comments and don't live in the obscurity of all the pseudonym's you all hide behind. My keep it real comment was more an effort to say that it is not a budget issue in terms of recruiting USHL or MN high school kids, as we have more of them coming in. However their are no excuses any more, and I am not about to make them. Last year was an utter disappointment and I don't have high expectations for this year. Congratulations, rest on your laurels. Keep quoting me all you want, but I am a has been!
            We all CARE about Maine Hockey...it may come across as we don't,but don't bet on it...we all bleed BLUE...just like you do. Don't be a QUITTER.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              We all CARE about Maine Hockey...it may come across as we don't,but don't bet on it...we all bleed BLUE...just like you do. Don't be a QUITTER.
              Just because someone has decided to stay out of the forum does not mean they are a quitter. I have withdrawn quite a bit over the past two years, partly due to my schedule and my son's activities etc. I still listen to every game, stay abreast of what is going on with the team, and still bleed blue. Bobf is a die hard and I respect his position and his opinions, even if they differ from my own.

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
                Just because someone has decided to stay out of the forum does not mean they are a quitter. I have withdrawn quite a bit over the past two years, partly due to my schedule and my son's activities etc. I still listen to every game, stay abreast of what is going on with the team, and still bleed blue. Bobf is a die hard and I respect his position and his opinions, even if they differ from my own.
                I hear you and don't want him to stop,he has alot to give to this forum...everyone has interesting thoughts and ideas...thats the fun of this forum..imo. And as far as a quitter...my bad...should of been smarter with that remark.

Comment

I don't think he decommitted! There is much to be disappointed with of late, but in Gingras case I think it was Maine who decided he was not ready. And KIA let's see Lundin was someone who was not recruited by anyone very hard, they wanted him to wait another year. Purcell also was not heavily recruited! He turned out to be a diamond in the rough. And while we may not see their likes based on how we spend recruiting dollars (that's a joke, since you use as an example a USHL and MN H.S. player as we have both of these coming in next year) does that mean we could see another Nyquist? Methinks we are far more likely to see a Lundin or a Purcell before we see a Nyquist!

Have been absent and will continue to be as I know longer get any joy or info from these forums, but I do think it is important to keep it real!
                  Purcell was a 2 year USHL all star and star of the all star game... he was no surprise when he came to maine.
                  If you could have heard what the boys said about him in his very first practice, you would know that he did not "develop" under Tim... Leveille said that Purcell was head and shoulders better than anyone else on the roster in his first practice.

Teddy was not recruited by NHL teams because when he was NHL elligible, he was about 5'6 or 5'8"... she SHOT up right after that.

as for recruiting dollars... all I said was that the money is finite and better spent on the guys who are likely to come to Maine... americans and canadians KNOW what they are getting as far as next-level coaching. Their junior coaches and advisors know whether they will tell the kid to play for Timmy... you are seeing how that pays off.

and Bob retires like Brett Favre does...
                  see ya in september

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                    Is Danny still going to Sweden?? Is that money well spent??
                    Liedermark and Andersson and the goalie that vaporized, the team could have brought in 2 top Bangor high forwards and done as well... so, since you asked if that is money well spent I will treat it as a rhetorical question.
                    And Nyquist was to Maine was what Rejean Stringer was to Merrimack and what Maury Edwards was to Lowell.
                    great players on shieity team... some people want a great team in orono, not an occasional great player

Comment

Bob Corkum is to be the U.S. Under 17 head coach in a August tournament. I think Maine's recruiting just took a huge step in the positive direction.
                      http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/3...st-tournament/

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Bob Corkum is to be the U.S. Under 17 head coach in a August tournament. I think Maine's recruiting just took a huge step in the positive direction.
                        Hopefully that helps, seems like it should once they get to know Bob

Comment

Having zero knowledge of what goes on inside the Maine program,all I can do is to speculate...Sure seems like the recruiting got better after Bob got there,though.

Needs to get better still,and it appears that that might well happen.I have to wonder how good it could be with Corkum as head coach.(I'm more than willing to roll the dice on that one.)
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-03-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            Maybe..........but doesn't Timmy make the final decision.........?
                            I feel that he has missed on a lot of decisions..........he also does not exude a lot of confidence which may also rub off on potential recruits........

Funny Timmy is not exactly embraced by the hockey community...........and being sought after for better opportunities......

Comment

........and being sought after for better opportunities......
                              Where?

Comment

Maybe..........but doesn't Timmy make the final decision.........?
                                I feel that he has missed on a lot of decisions..........he also does not exude a lot of confidence which may also rub off on potential recruits........

Funny Timmy is not exactly embraced by the hockey community...........and being sought after for better opportunities......
                                He's toast as far as coaching a high profile Div.1 hockey program...he may get a job but it will be very low-profile and he won't get the money he's making at UMaine...His resume at UMaine will not get him the choice jobs thats for sure...he more or less has taken this program down in a short period of time...it took hard work and dedication in making this program a success...and now look at it...really rips me off that he was allowed to even get to this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X