X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
    You put in a new coach, or brought a legend back, and that would get people excited up at your little school. A conference without Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Ohio State and year 10 of this administration in 2013 isn't going to exactly pack em in.

The Truth Is Out There.....
    TBA
    Notre Dame will not be apart of the Big Ten Conf. in hockey. The Big Ten has a rule that a college cannot be in the conference for 1 sport only; its in all the way or not at all.
    Go Lakers!

Comment

Another Big Ten hockey piece: http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...te-out-of-CCHA

Comment

I'm really not all that worried about the Big 10 conference, all in all I think it will be good for Laker hockey. This year the Lakers hosted one Big 10 team (not counting the playoffs.) Everyone is so worried about lost ticket sales, I don't think an increase in 500-1000 tickets one weekend a season is going to make or break the budget. Assuming the CCHA keeps Miami and Notre Dame (which I think the will) the Lakers will be in a conference where they are capable of winning some games. I think if you put a winner in Taffey Abel that the fans will come back. Depending on a spike in ticket sales based on bigger schools coming to town isn't a long term plan to success. Having a team win games and is fun to watch would go a long ways in the attendance issues. With only an 8 team conference there would be more room for out of conference games, and based on one of the articles posted in here, the Big 10 conference would still work to maintain strong ties to the CCHA. This team doesn't have the resources to compete with schools like Michigan and Michigan State several times a season within conference. Whether we like it or not, LSSU is a "mid-major" and the glory days of the early 90's aren't coming back anytime soon. That doesn't mean that we can't be like Butler or George Mason. I think we fit better in that role than going toe to toe in the same conference with Big 10 schools. Plus, college hockey needs a shot in the arm. Hopefully the Big 10 conference can give it that. But, like Truth said, the Lakers need to make a coaching change now and start winning some games. Holding off until the Big 10 teams leave to make a change would be a mistake and would really set this team back. This administration needs to be proactive and understand that it is going to take a few years to change the culture and get fans back in the seats.

Comment

Last 5 seasons under Roque the losses have been 17-20 games each season and you are going nowhere with loses at those numbers . The one thing Roque has shown he is capable of coaching.......an average of 18 games a year in loses.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            Last 5 seasons under Roque the losses have been 17-20 games each season and you are going nowhere with loses at those numbers . The one thing Roque has shown he is capable of coaching.......an average of 18 games a year in loses.
            I have not changed my mind about the need for a change and don't see me changing it anytime soon. But the longer there is no announcement the chances are he will stay. I also saw a brouchure on the LSSU website promoting a hockey camp this summer with Roque. After an experience this past weekend I see where he has lots of friends and no one seemed concerned he would be leaving. When the University announced the big donation for the Norris Center I thought they said he was instrumental in closing the deal. It doesn't look good for the team and the fans at this point in time. We can only hope.
            Go Lakers!

Comment

Rich Schofield signs with Anaheim Ducks: http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...ofield_Signing

Will Acton signs with Toronto Marlies: http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h.../Acton-Marlies

Looks like they will play against each other next Wednesday.
              Last edited by DopeyBaker; 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                I have not changed my mind about the need for a change and don't see me changing it anytime soon. But the longer there is no announcement the chances are he will stay. I also saw a brouchure on the LSSU website promoting a hockey camp this summer with Roque. After an experience this past weekend I see where he has lots of friends and no one seemed concerned he would be leaving. When the University announced the big donation for the Norris Center I thought they said he was instrumental in closing the deal. It doesn't look good for the team and the fans at this point in time. We can only hope.
                Roque isn't going anywhere and we all know it. I am sure at this point it is the recruits,to many freshmen, injuries,etc.etc.etc that gets the blame for each losing season . Some people are better at selling themselves than actually performing and this may very well be the case with the coaching staff at Lake State.

Comment

Roque isn't going anywhere and we all know it. I am sure at this point it is the recruits,to many freshmen, injuries,etc.etc.etc that gets the blame for each losing season . Some people are better at selling themselves than actually performing and this may very well be the case with the coaching staff at Lake State.
                  You are correct and a never ending list of excuses by this coach, his pr spokesman, and many on here will once again be on full display.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say selling himself. It has been mentioned on here before the inner circle of supporters this head coach has around the University and around Sault Ste. Marie. Despite six years of mediocre success at best, issues with players on and off the ice, and issues in general on and off the ice, he manages to come out of it slick and clean as a whistle.

When there are small crowds, it is because of spring break, other games going on and always something else. When they lose another big game it is a bounce here, a deflection there and always because of something else. When the team comes out one night like gangbusters and the other night flat, the boys are working hard and they will turn it around and always something else. When the head coach embarrasses himself by filing a police report on an linesman, it isn't his fault or you can't question him, it is always something else.

The list goes on and on and we have heard the same old tired excuses for over six years now. Jim Roque does not equal Laker hockey. You can be against his administration and still support the team and the University. As a matter of fact I think if you truly do support the team and the Lakers you would be leading the charge for a new coach, a new direction and not the same old tired, lame and blameless excuses that will be told in the weeks, months and years to come.

Like many have said this coach ain't going anywhere, he either has the right supporters or says the right things to the right people, or maybe there is something else he has as his trump card that only his inner circle knows about where the university can't do anything?
                  Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-22-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Tom Anastos is stepping down as commissioner of the CCHA to take over as head coach of MSU. Color me surprised. And pleased. Hopefully the CCHA finds a better commissioner this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck LeVasseur View Post
                      Tom Anastos is stepping down as commissioner of the CCHA to take over as head coach of MSU. Color me surprised. And pleased. Hopefully the CCHA finds a better commissioner this time.
                      Yah, despite all his MSU connections/history, it's surprising they didn't go after someone with more coaching experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        Yah, despite all his MSU connections/history, it's surprising they didn't go after someone with more coaching experience.
                        A couple of former Spartans (Kelly Miller and Danton Cole) applied. Ron Mason gave his two cents:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011031...t-hockey-coach

Comment

Chad Nehring hooked up with the ECHL Idaho Steelheads, where he joins former Laker Steve Oleksy:

http://www.sjhl.ca/news_item.aspx?news_id=2046

Comment

MI State brings in a guy who hasn't coached at the college level since 1992 and he was an assistant for one year. I wonder what debt was owed there .

Comment

MI State brings in a guy who hasn't coached at the college level since 1992 and he was an assistant for one year. I wonder what debt was owed there .
                              Hopefully the new comissioner will get rid of shootouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Yeah they should have went with a guy that has won just over 30% of his games in over six season at a small school up there in Northern Michigan. Too bad that guy got away and they had to settle for Anastos.

There is something to be said for coaching experience and a winning coach with experience. Once you take off your reality blinders some of you people up there might actually figure that out someday. Until then enjoy another first year coach outcoaching your hero at your little college.

None of you people can argue the facts or the truth so continue to name call and sway the conversation away from the current head of this administration. You people are so predictable.

The Truth Is Out There....
                                TBA

Comment

Working...
                                X