X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

Originally posted by Buck LeVasseur View Post
    While I agree that the USHL is a fertile recruiting ground I'm starting to think that the Lakers would be better served allocating most resources to the NAHL. It isn't quite on the level of the USHL, but it is still a quality league. As was mentioned in several posts, the USHL is a league that many of the major schools recruit from. The Lakers aren't going to be able to compete for recruits on the same level as those other schools. The NAHL isn't a league that many of the major schools look at; of the "major" schools in college hockey, Michigan has 1 recruit coming in from the NAHL, Notre Dame has 1, and Denver has 2. I think LSSU would have an easier time competing with Ferris, Western, Air Force, etc for top players in the NAHL than trying to unearth overlooked players in the USHL. Air Force has recognized that there is talent in the NAHL and recruits almost exclusively from that league, their current roster has 22 players on it from it. They also have 12 commitments over the next two years heading there. I wouldn't have an issue going as hard at the league as Air Force does, over the past few years they have proven that a roster made up of primarily NAHL players can be competitive in college hockey. They've made the national tournament 3 of the past 4 years and had solid showings in it. 07 a one point loss against Minnesota, 08 a double OT loss against Miami, and 09 a win over Michigan followed by a double OT loss to Vermont on a video review goal. Granted, with Air Force and LSSU it isn't really comparing Apples to Apples because of everything else required of being a cadet there, but I think the point holds true that the NAHL is a solid league that isn't recruited by the major schools because of the quality of player they get out of the USHL.
    Well we still have one un-named recruit for next year, a forward that committed over the holidays. Who knows, maybe it will turn out that he is from the NAHL.

Comment

Congratulations to Kevin Kapalka for being named USCHO's 2nd star in the nation for last weekend's games! 76 saves on 78 shots and 5 shutout periods, way to go KK!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Well we still have one un-named recruit for next year, a forward that committed over the holidays. Who knows, maybe it will turn out that he is from the NAHL.
        If he is i hope he is from from one of the top teams in the league. Playing with better players can only make you better. Bill i get the feeling you know more than the rest of us

Comment

Looks like the Lakers may be without the services of Dan Radtke this weekend at ND, as he and Kyle Jean were involved in a collision at practice today. Jean will be okay.
          Last edited by Neil Diamond; 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
            Looks like the Lakers may be without the services of Dan Radtke this weekend at ND, as he and Kyle Jean were involved in a collision at practice today. Jean will be okay.
            That would be ashame; he really stepped up his game last weekend.
            Go Lakers!

Comment

For anyone that's interested, here are updated regular season stats for next season's recruits. All of these guys have 91 birth dates and so they could play another season of Juniors, although as far as I know at this point they will likely be coming to LSSU next season. The exception is Dommett who has a 90 birth date and will definitely have to come in next season.

Buddy Robinson - 57 games, 20 goals, 42 assists, 62 points (Hamilton - OJHL, and Nepean - CJHL)
              Steve Perfetto - 31 games, 16 goals, 17 assists, 33 points (Kingston OJHL)
              Kelin Ainsworth - 48 games 25 goals, 21 assists, 46 points (Traverse City - NAHL)
              Andrew Dommett - 34 games, 22 goals, 24 assists, 46 points (Kindersley - SJHL)
              Kevin Czuczman - 47 games, 4 goals, 19 assists, 23 points (Newmarket - OJHL)

All are forwards except for Czuzcman.

Perfetto missed quite a few games in the first part of the season with a broken ankle. Dommett missed quite a few games early in the season with a broken jaw.

Robinson played over half the season with Hamilton before moving on to Nepean. From what I heard, not too many Hamilton players were happy there. I don't know if it was an owner related problem, or coach related.

Ainsworth didn't do much scoring early in the season for Traverse City, but kind of caught fire after the holidays. I think he played on a line with Radke last season so it may have been a matter of adjusting to new linemates.

The OJHL and SJHL have started playoffs and Perfetto and Dommett have picked up a few additional points in those games.

Comment

Rick Schofield got honorable mention in the CCHA All-Conference team. Congrats to him, but Kapalka got robbed. I can't believe he didn't get at least honorable mention.
                Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 03-09-2011, 09:26 PM.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  Rick Schofield got honorable mention in the CCHA All-Conference team. Congrats to him, but Kapalka got robbed. I can't believe he didn't get at least honorable mention.
                  Kapalka was extremely close to making the second team. I wouldn't call it "robbery" when his total weighted voting was 12 "votes" and Greenham, who was the second team goalie, had 14. Wedged in between the two was Reichard who had 13. It was really tight voting once you got past Nagle. I think Kapalka should be above Greenham, he had a better GAA, Save%, and win%. But in the same breath, Hunwick (with 11) probably deserved the second team slot more than either of them.

Also, Trotman was 8th in voting amongst defense-men.

Comment

Kapalka is a finalist for CCHA Rookie of the Year and Will Acton is a finalist for CCHA Best Defensive Forward. I doubt either will win though.
                    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

[QUOTE=DopeyBaker;5069072]
                      Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post

It used to be that way, but isn't anymore. I am a season ticket holder, but I haven't bought playoff tickets in many years.
                      Not sure how you bought your season tickets but I got Playoff Tickets with my season ticket package. Basketball and Volleyball tickets by the way.

Comment

I got Playoff tickets with my season ticket package.
                        BLEED BLUE

Comment

[QUOTE=DopeyBaker;5069072]

It used to be that way, but isn't anymore. I am a season ticket holder, but I haven't bought playoff tickets in many years.

Dopey is the one that swears by this not me. #516
                          Last edited by PerkyforPrez; 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

[QUOTE=PerkyforPrez;5073558]
                            Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post

Dopey is the one that swears by this not me. #516
                            I do. I have had season tickets for a long time, but the last few years I have not been required to get the playoff tickets. Perhaps it is an option for certain groups (mail-in vs. buy in person vs. online, general public vs. faculty/staff, etc.)?

Comment

[QUOTE=DopeyBaker;5073772]

I do. I have had season tickets for a long time, but the last few years I have not been required to get the playoff tickets. Perhaps it is an option for certain groups (mail-in vs. buy in person vs. online, general public vs. faculty/staff, etc.)?
                              For what it's worth, I'm still a season ticket holder (though I'm an out of towner) and 1st round playoff tickets are always included in the package. Then if the Lakers don't host in the first round, the cost of those tickets is refunded. I do pick mine up & pay for them in person though, so if you order yours online then you may be onto something there...

Talking about this weekend's match up with Notre Dame. I kind of like how our Lakers match up against them. It does scare me that ND was idle last week and had a ton of extra time to prepare for this series. Miami had the same extra week before heading to the Sault a couple weeks ago and that didn't turn out so well for us.
                              Hopefully Roque can get a solid game plan together and get the guys pumped up and ready for a hard fought battle this weekend.

Also, anyone else that appreciated that CBS-College Sports did what FSN & Comcast won't, by broadcasting a game from the Sault, should maybe drop them a line on their website and let them know that you as a Laker fan appreciated it. You never know, spreading good vibes could reap a return trip to the Sault and more TV time for the team someday.

Comment

I think the Lakers can pull off a upset this weekend but they will have to play their best. Kapalka of course is a big key but i think even more inportant is the team playing hard in front of him not letting the Irish to get in to close to him.
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X