X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Anyone else try to listen to the stream of the Laker Hockey Show this evening. Even with the volume cranked all the way up on my laptop, I can hear them talking but can't quite make out what is being said.
    "We are right there the boys are working hard and we have to keep doing what we are doing and the breaks will come we have a lot of guys that are just a shot or two away from really breaking a game open we need to keep up the hard work and we are going to get those bounces we were right in those games and we played well and i thought deserved a better fate we are a bit snake bit right now and the calls are going against us and it isn't fair because we are a small school and the michigan's and western michigan's have all this recruiting money and we hear fans talk who really don't know what they are talking about because they aren't around these guys and there is no difference between us and western last weekend and it is only a matter of time before the pucks start going into the net and we get the breaks that all the other teams get and we are doing the right things and the wins will come this team is going to win a lot of games this year and gets better every game and are going to be the surprise team in the second half and a real darkhorse and the victory in the shootout on Saturday might be the thing that turns it around and these other teams have superior stick skills but we have a bunch of hard working guys and the recruits next year will really be something and the players on this team improve every year and we are right in the mix and i can't get down on the guys for not winning the wins will come."

Comment

So far at this point of the season it has been another disappointment . Roques comment that the Lakers are going to surprise a lot of people with how many games they win this year has turned into another let down. In overall games,the Lakers have the fewest wins in the league and it is going to take some charge the last 10 games to salvage the season.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
        So far at this point of the season it has been another disappointment . Roques comment that the Lakers are going to surprise a lot of people with how many games they win this year has turned into another let down. In overall games,the Lakers have the fewest wins in the league and it is going to take some charge the last 10 games to salvage the season.

What Roque comment are you talking about, sm2pk? When did he say that?

Comment

Why this disappointment ? How can you be surprised ?
          Disappointment is about expectations. What made your expectations so hight this season ?
          What made that comment more credible than the former ?

"If ya keep on doin' whatcha bin doin', you'll keep on gettin' whatcha bin gettin'."

As a matter of fact, the results are the same, as are the comments of the person in charge.
          On this forum, week after week, except a few acrimonious statements based on personal experience (I guess), it is mostly candid complacency and blind devotion (to "The Team").

At this point, the Truth Serum style has become my preferred reading on the forum.
          At least it is funny, well imitated and, for some people at least, food for thoughts.

Why is that so ? Is there a rule preventing people from taking a step back and think ?

I read something like "Roque fought for his boys, so I hope they will do the same for him" ... welcome to the Lakers, you probably arrived last week.
          Don't you think Roque has other reasons to be stressed than just step up for justice ? (probably the least of his concerns).
          Yes the players fought (they always do), but Roque was in the stands and another coach was behind the bench ... does it ring a bell ?
          I hope nobody will blame Tim Christian for the loss (some other stuff was brought to light during the last weekend).

It looks as if we are playing the first episode of a TV series every week, and nothing happened before.
          Fortunately, new fresh guys come in every year, many of them are good and they spark some hope early, but it doesn't take long before most of them decline, getting confused and loosing self-confidence.
          A quick look at the performance of most players - and indeed goalies - over the last years, should at least raise questions about internal dynamics and leadership.
          In a small town like soo, there can be no secret for those who want to understand; the answers are really at your fingertips, and they have been for long.

it is going to take some change the last 10 games to salvage the season.
          When would you consider the season as "salvaged" ?
          Last edited by backbencher; 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
            What Roque comment are you talking about, sm2pk? When did he say that?
            Early in the season in an interview with Crawford. A player also said same later in the season about the second half in an interview with Crawford. Was it last year that Roque said he expected a finish in the top 6 and we know how that went as well. What also is amazing to me is after 4 years of Borek so many on here had seen the writing on the wall with his continued coaching and yet 6 years into Roque and most are silent on the direction of the team.

Comment

backbencher,why not just say what you really think instead of hoping what you wrote leads us to your conclusions. If you think Roque isn't a very good coach, just say it. If you think Roque takes players with decent talent and waste it,just say it. If you think a change is needed to take the team in a new direction, just say it

Comment

backbencher,why not just say what you really think instead of hoping what you wrote leads us to your conclusions.
                sm2pk, it is not about what I think; it is what I hear, read and see. I am actually challenging my thoughts. If you (or others) can prove me wrong then fine.
                backbencher,why not just say what you really think instead of hoping what you wrote leads us to your conclusions. If you think Roque isn't a very good coach, just say it. If you think Roque takes players with decent talent and waste it, just say it. If you think a change is needed to take the team in a new direction, just say it
                You got it, until somebody brings additional useful information, what I have seen and been told make me think that beside being outwardly a nice guy, and certainly a good hockey expert, Roque badly lacks for essential leadership and interpersonal skills which are essential for the job.
                Looking at the performance of the players prior to their arrival, and listening to them some years later, doesn't give an impression of growth, especially if you consider that some progress should come almost naturally.
                Whether a change is needed or not, I can't tell as it depends on what the deal with administration is. It does not seem that we have the same concerns.
                However, even if the status quo is good for them, there would be little risk in giving somebody else a chance. After all, Tim Christian was there when Roque was promoted, and the players would certainly buy it easily. I won't resume the discussion about Joe Shawhan, but I see several areas where he is ahead of Roque (I don't know of any where he is behind), so where is the risk ?
                If the 6th spot was an objective, one has to admit that it is not met, and I don't see many alternatives to trying something else ... including the above obvious candidates.
                I am looking forward to convincing arguments which make me doubt but that's what I think ... nothing personal.
                Last edited by backbencher; 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

backbencher. I don't take anything as being personal . We are all fans and we have our opinions and we write them down here. Some of us have been fans since the 60s and others fairly new but all are entitled to their opinion and views. I think Roque is probably a hell of a good guy and I thought Borek the same but as coaching goes, the team has struggled under both . I think Shawhan could be a good fit for this team and I wonder also why does it seem so many players show less improvement each season.

I think of Casiani off the top of my head. How does the guy come in in his freshman year and ends up with 20 points on the season and next year 9 and this year so far just 5. I think we all get excited due to the fact we do see guys like Casiani come in and do so well his first year and than struggle to put up less than 10 points a season after that and he isn't alone in that area of showing a good first year and than less and less each year after. Is it coaching ? Not sure if any of us know. Is it just a team of players with a few good guys but not enough to make a difference . I don't know that either . That is why we debate and argue on here I guess. We all want to know what the main problem is but we don't and so we come here to vent or find answers.

Comment

I think Roque is probably a hell of a good guy
                    Absolutely, until you challenge his beliefs, or simply ask for explanations.

Beside other skills which can easilly be delegated, a successful coach has a vision and an ongoing two-ways communication (i.e. face to face discussions) with each player on the team, whether he plays 25 mns per game or sits out all the time.

It is essential for the team that each member understands how he is supposed to contribute to the plan, and is convinced that he is getting something in return (development, recognition, money etc.); it is also a simple question of human respect.
                    What about a team where players (There may be exceptions) never have a focused conversation with the coach, and some having the feeling that the coach doesn't see them at all (knowing that he may change his mind tomorrow is only a cold comfort).
                    Would you expect understanding and involvement ?

Admitting errors is not enough (specially when it is for the show, and only in favor of some). You need to show that you take action, including questioning yourself. Bad luck and small means cannot explain everything.

Some very successful coaches happen to be blamed for being tough on players (please don't resume a useless debate, as it would be irrelevant), but they are always recognized for being fair (no pets, no scapegoat), consistent (no permanent changing mind) and clear (explaining again if not understood).
                    Being tough is not a must, and properly empowered assistants can take care of almost any of the coach's tasks; but who has seen a coach succeeding without leadership.
                    When everyone resigns oneself to finding his own answers, wouldn't you expect some confusion ? (individual and collective).
                    I think of Casiani off the top of my head.
                    Just to mention one other, What about Pat Inglis; there seemed to be a consensus amongst his teammates that the coach destroyed him. Whether right or wrong, it is an indication that the attitude of the coach was neither shared nor understood.
                    Is it coaching ? Not sure if any of us know. Is it just a team of players with a few good guys but not enough to make a difference. I don't know that either . That is why we debate and argue on here I guess. We all want to know what the main problem is but we don't and so we come here to vent or find answers.
                    It is probably a combination of a lot of reasons, and being a small school is certainly one of them. But, if you had to make some improvements, you would not just sit and wait until you know the unique and unquestionable root problem.
                    You would probably want to do something, focusing on what you control, and preferably where you have identified obvious shortcomings, with the highest impact. Then you can fine tune addressing other issues.

But we are not deciding anything, except that buying is voting.
                    Does it make sense ?
                    Last edited by backbencher; 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Inglis is an excellent example of a coach saying how the guy had NHL potential and than faded faster than a bolt of lightening . Monardo seems to have really stepped up his game but he says he worked all summer with a coach in Toronto who is excellent with developing players. if that is the case with Monardo,this coaching staff needs to find out what he does with players. At this point they have to try something different.

Comment

backbencher. I don't take anything as being personal . We are all fans and we have our opinions and we write them down here. Some of us have been fans since the 60s and others fairly new but all are entitled to their opinion and views. I think Roque is probably a hell of a good guy and I thought Borek the same but as coaching goes, the team has struggled under both . I think Shawhan could be a good fit for this team and I wonder also why does it seem so many players show less improvement each season.

I think of Casiani off the top of my head. How does the guy come in in his freshman year and ends up with 20 points on the season and next year 9 and this year so far just 5. I think we all get excited due to the fact we do see guys like Casiani come in and do so well his first year and than struggle to put up less than 10 points a season after that and he isn't alone in that area of showing a good first year and than less and less each year after. Is it coaching ? Not sure if any of us know. Is it just a team of players with a few good guys but not enough to make a difference . I don't know that either . That is why we debate and argue on here I guess. We all want to know what the main problem is but we don't and so we come here to vent or find answers.
                        Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT sticking up for Roque with this post.. I unequivocally feel that he should indeed be fired after this season, he has not got the job done, end of story.....

However, the development (or lack thereof) of the Lakers argument is about 6 in one half dozen in the other....Cassiani is a perfect example of a player who comes in has a great first year and then has dropped off the map, Chad Nehring had a slow first 2 years, had a big year last year and this year has returned to the offensive shadows, Inglis never panned out, and although early in their career, Lain and Campbell haven't done anything to speak of....however for nearly every one of those cases, there is a counter argument that shows development is happening: Like Cassiani, Rick Schofield had a great first year and has done nothing but improve his game and become the focal point of the team both on and off the ice..Like Nehring, Acton had a slow first 2 years then had a bigger year last year and although he had a few week slump that broke this past weekend, has improved on his contributions...like Lain and Campbell, Jean came in with expectations and is in the top 5 in team in scoring....Matt Cowie has steadily improved over his 4 years and has become a very dependable defenseman, a far cry from his freshmen year form...after sitting out a year, McParland got his feet under him last year and has already scored more this year than he did last amid turning into a very dynamic player with the puck..Kevin Kapalka was expected to do nothing more than be a fill-in back up but early on in the season BMW went down and as a freshmen thrust into arguably the top offensively talented conference in the country, has responded by being one of the best goaltenders in the CCHA...as i said before this is not meant to stick up for Roque because i certainly am not saying that, but what i am willing to say (as i have said before) is that Lake State being such a small school in a small town, it offers little in comparison to the other schools it is recruiting against, so we are forced to try to get a few big name players and then scour north america to try and find the high risk/reward player who MIGHT someday turn out to be a diamond in the rough....this is nothing new, Doug Weight is an example of a sought after, big name downstate kid from a metro area that we were able to steal from the "big boys" while Jim Dowd was a high school player in New Jersey who recieved but 1 offer, LSSU. The difference is these days our "big name recruits" are coming fewer and farther between and a double negative of circumstances regarding the "diamonds in the rough" search: 1. hockey has grown in popularity and more schools are putting their attention in their hockey program so kids like Jim Dowd are getting 5-10 offers nowadays as opposed to flying so far under the radar like they did back in the day and 2. the program has reduced funding from the glory days so scouring North America for the under the radar kids isn't as fiscally easy as it used to be, we simply cant afford the trips and travel...employing the diamonods in the rough philosophy is a risky endeavor even with sufficient funding to fly all over hell's half acre looking for kids..when you cant and are reduced to making phone calls instead of personal visits, the already slim chances of success decrease exponentially...when you take all of this into consideration it's actually somewhat surprising that we even managed to land kids like Schofield, Acton, Perkovich, Gysbers, Jakaitis, etc.
                        Last edited by AnchorsAway; 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I just hope with the Michigan State job open we are able to keep Coach Roque and this administration.

All over the MSU hockey blogs they are reporting the Spartan brass are taking a serious look the LSSU coaching staff because of their success over the past 5+ years, growth of the program, special teams dominance and player development.

Plus with the Lakers getting better every game and them being the dark horse of the second half in the CCHA and right there with the top teams in the league, Roque would make anyone's short list.

Plus much safer down there than at ice level of Taffy Able Arena after a game on a Saturday night, much safer.

Comment

Inglis is an excellent example of a coach saying how the guy had NHL potential and than faded faster than a bolt of lightening . Monardo seems to have really stepped up his game but he says he worked all summer with a coach in Toronto who is excellent with developing players. if that is the case with Monardo,this coaching staff needs to find out what he does with players. At this point they have to try something different.

Very good point I have been wondering the same thing after i heard Dominic mention his off season regiment.

I am not a Roque backer but i will refrain from the fire the coach rhetoric untill after the season because i just do not see anything possitive coming of it.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Time to bring back Frank Anzalone!

The Truth Is Out There.....

Comment

Theresa - I would have naturally assumed that with the Mallard in first place Frank's phone is ringing off the hook for the MSU Job. Mark Hollis must be calling and the Alumni have to making a big push to get him! Right?

Oh I'm Sorry, its Truth Squad not Theresa Anzalone.

Comment

Working...
                                X