No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Other than coaching, what would more money do to turn the program around and attract better players? We're certainly not going to build a new arena when we can't fill the one we have.

Before I give a dime to Tech hockey, I need to know the current financials for the program. Does it make money or lose money? What's our share of GLI? Do we get shared dollars from the WCHA? What is the revenue from attendance? What are the expenses?

After 30 years of bad hockey, it's time for an objective review of the program and a clear commitment from the Administration. Has anyone heard Pres. Mroz say anything about the hockey program? Is there a plan? I'm tired of sitting around singing Glory Days...
    The biggest thing you need to know about the state of the financials of Tech hockey is, the program makes money only because of the 6-digit check it gets from the WCHA from the Final 5.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

The Tech Experience Fee as a whole raises $890,496 based on this years enrollment. Approximately $94,500 of that goes towards the block of 750 based on the previous student ticket price of $6 per ticket for 21 games. The suites themselves raise approximately $70,000 per season. With an average attendance of 2,382 this season and subtracting out 125 suite tickets and the 750 student tickets the remaining 1,507 earns about $217,000 with an average ticket price of $8. This totals about $381,000 per year in ticket and suite revenue.

As for expenses in the 2009-2010 school year the head coach earned $121,178, one assistant $62,565, another $52,857, the secretary earned $33,550, and I estimated the equipment supervisor to have worked 20 hours per week for the 6 month season at his part time rate for $14.89 per hour. All in total the staff salaries equated about $277,000 per year.

These are just the knowns, anyone can guess at GLI and WCHA revenue, facility costs, travel expenses, etc. Interesting if the we were to sell out the Mac on all occasions general public seating alone would bring in nearly $500,000.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Could be. However if they start fast like this year then they could still be .500 by GLI, even if they are a bad team. I believe it's the last year for the Superior showcase...
        This was the final season for the Superior Showcase. Next year, we are replacing the Showcase with a series vs. AIC, we will travel to Canton to play SLU, and we'll have a home-and-home pair with NMU.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          This was the final season for the Superior Showcase. Next year, we are replacing the Showcase with a series vs. AIC, we will travel to Canton to play SLU, and we'll have a home-and-home pair with NMU.
          I want my jersey!!!
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Oh parise, the end is near, penn state got 2 commitments on Monday!
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Oh parise, the end is near, penn state got 2 commitments on Monday!
              And they were granted permission to talk to Mark Johnson today.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I heard Jamie talk at the alumni gathering last week and after hearing what he has to say in person, I still think he's the right guy for the job
                I'm glad you said that.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

After 30 years of bad hockey, it's time for an objective review of the program and a clear commitment from the Administration. Has anyone heard Pres. Mroz say anything about the hockey program? Is there a plan? I'm tired of sitting around singing Glory Days...
                  what? you don't like Sprinsteen? that's unAmerican!!
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

The interesting thing about Mroz is he was around (undergrad) during the Glory Days of the mid-70's so I wonder if he ever got excited watching Tech knock the snot out of the Wolverines, Spartans, et.al. Apparently not. Unlike his peers at those fine institutions downstate, he is not worried about the loser his marquee athletic program has become because he gets away with it.

Fortunately for Mroz, literally tens of thousands of Tech alums know nothing but losing records. Older alums, like myself, moved far from the UP, or anywhere they play college hockey for that matter in the pre-internet days when keeping up with the team was like getting the scores by telegraph. Not the best way to maintain a fan base. So, what do we have today? A few true believers on the internet forums oblivious to the kind of leadership necessary for an organization to succeed in a highly competitive environment and a few generous alums with deep pockets. Not enough to get Mroz involved, unfortunately. The status quo, aka the PLC, continues ad infinitum.

Comment

Conner scored in Pittsburgh's 3-2 OT loss to the Make Me Laughs.

Comment

I beg to differ. Mroz is a hockey fan and attends as many hockey games as he can.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

So is Olson done for the year, or is there a possibility he will play in the playoffs.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                            I beg to differ. Mroz is a hockey fan and attends as many hockey games as he can.
                            Yes, Mr. Mroz appears to be a great sports fan and he has done a nice job coming in as a interm Pres. and then as Pres. to stabalize the University. Now he needs to lead the charge to fix this Hockey program.
                            I am sure he is receiving calls from the big donors asking what are you going to do about this and it would be interesting to hear what he is telling them. I would guess he has some type of plan that will be implemented in the next two years. He is very cautious with the Budget so no money will be tossed around with out a solid plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                              The Tech Experience Fee as a whole raises $890,496 based on this years enrollment. Approximately $94,500 of that goes towards the block of 750 based on the previous student ticket price of $6 per ticket for 21 games. The suites themselves raise approximately $70,000 per season. With an average attendance of 2,382 this season and subtracting out 125 suite tickets and the 750 student tickets the remaining 1,507 earns about $217,000 with an average ticket price of $8. This totals about $381,000 per year in ticket and suite revenue.

As for expenses in the 2009-2010 school year the head coach earned $121,178, one assistant $62,565, another $52,857, the secretary earned $33,550, and I estimated the equipment supervisor to have worked 20 hours per week for the 6 month season at his part time rate for $14.89 per hour. All in total the staff salaries equated about $277,000 per year.

These are just the knowns, anyone can guess at GLI and WCHA revenue, facility costs, travel expenses, etc. Interesting if the we were to sell out the Mac on all occasions general public seating alone would bring in nearly $500,000.
                              Equipment supervisor 20 hours a week. You are waaaaaaaaay under on that one. He's almost got that eaten up on game days alone.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Equipment supervisor 20 hours a week. You are waaaaaaaaay under on that one. He's almost got that eaten up on game days alone.
                                Well he's been on limited duty this season and much of his work has been filled by student help. Even still the cost of the equipment supervisor is relatively low with his limited work period to when hockey is in season. And when he's not working hockey he's the Under Sheriff for Houghton County.
                                Last edited by Flashy Man; 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM.
                                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                                X