Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nashville 2015 (Frozen 4)?

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. The four WCHA schools that were there are all marquee programs who all sold out the school allotment of tickets. The empty seats (and the rinks were 85-90% full) were likely sponsor tickets who didn't bother to travel to Columbus in the first place.
    CLS knows what he's talking about; but yeah, he should have worded his post differently.

The focus should actually be on the teams that weren't there. The all-WCHA Frozen Four was a matter of great pride for the WCHA, but it was treated as a total disaster by our friends from the East. Easterners cancelled their trips en masse, on the theory that there was no one to root for. For the same reason, they found no buyers among their usual contacts.

They didn't find many local buyers either. Why? Because local fans had been told for months that the Frozen Four was a hard sellout, and please don't call. By Saturday, the word got out that there were plenty of cheap tickets available on the street, and the in-house crowd improved. Contrast that experience with Buffalo, where two fanbases left town after the semi-finals and weren't replaced -- meaning a higher number of no-shows.

The worst part of that Frozen Four was having to play on campus, where there was little to do around the arena.
    That's a legitimate criticism.

The NCAA bought into the idea of an On-Campus Frozen Four, but the Schottenstein Center doesn't really fit idealistic notions of an on-campus rink. The Schott is an NHL quality arena, complete with luxury suites. It's located on the NW edge of OSU, a rather long walk from Central Campus and the High Street Bars and Eateries. The location does allow for quite a bit of closeby parking, which was free during the Frozen Four. So the Schott has its advantages. But if you're trying to create a "college reunion" atmosphere, the Schott doesn't really deliver.

If Columbus hosts another FF, it will probably held at Nationwide Arena, home of the NHL Blue Jackets. The Arena District is set up perfectly for a FF, with hotels, restaurants and bars immediately adjacent.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      CLS knows what he's talking about; but yeah, he should have worded his post differently.

The focus should actually be on the teams that weren't there. The all-WCHA Frozen Four was a matter of great pride for the WCHA, but it was treated as a total disaster by our friends from the East. Easterners cancelled their trips en masse, on the theory that there was no one to root for. For the same reason, they found no buyers among their usual contacts.

They didn't find many local buyers either. Why? Because local fans had been told for months that the Frozen Four was a hard sellout, and please don't call. By Saturday, the word got out that there were plenty of cheap tickets available on the street, and the in-house crowd improved. Contrast that experience with Buffalo, where two fanbases left town after the semi-finals and weren't replaced -- meaning a higher number of no-shows.

That's a legitimate criticism.

The NCAA bought into the idea of an On-Campus Frozen Four, but the Schottenstein Center doesn't really fit idealistic notions of an on-campus rink. The Schott is an NHL quality arena, complete with luxury suites. It's located on the NW edge of OSU, a rather long walk from Central Campus and the High Street Bars and Eateries. The location does allow for quite a bit of closeby parking, which was free during the Frozen Four. So the Schott has its advantages. But if you're trying to create a "college reunion" atmosphere, the Schott doesn't really deliver.

If Columbus hosts another FF, it will probably held at Nationwide Arena, home of the NHL Blue Jackets. The Arena District is set up perfectly for a FF, with hotels, restaurants and bars immediately adjacent.
      Masterful reply, pgb-ohio. I agree with everything you wrote.

I wish college hockey fans wouldn't leave town after their teams get knocked out. Or at least, replace yourself by getting your ticket to someone who wants to be there. These teams work so hard to get the championship that they deserve a full house, even if your team isn't there anymore. Be a fan of the game, not just your team.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
        There's plenty of stuff to do in Nashville if you know where to look, and not all of it has to do with country music either.
        It is a great city for the F4, although it will cut down on budget conscious people who drive to the event normally. I didn't get to a game but was there as people were filing into the arena...sure seemed like they like hockey down there. The reason I think the city will be great is that it has a lot of small restaurants, there are great bars to roam into and the relatively small downtown will be crowded with hockey people. In DC, 90+% of the city didn't even notice the F4. In Nashville it will be something. I was there mid-winter and the streets still had plenty of people walking about, in March the weather will be much better. If they have it there I might go just because the family had a great time on our previous visit.

The people were friendly at every place we went. They have a kick butt mall if you like shopping. We didn't think about how much wealth was in Nashville until we got down there and saw the 'burbs; apparently people pay a lot of money for that country music.

If you can go, and take a day to see the mountains etc. it is worth it.
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I wish college hockey fans wouldn't leave town after their teams get knocked out. Or at least, replace yourself by getting your ticket to someone who wants to be there. These teams work so hard to get the championship that they deserve a full house, even if your team isn't there anymore. Be a fan of the game, not just your team.
          My sentiment as well. I love my team, but I love the game as well, and seeing it played for all the marbles is certainly worth doing, even if your team loses on Thursday.

Something I've noticed over the years is how fewer people seem interested in watching games that DON'T involve their team, even when they've made the effort to travel, often great distances, to see something like a conference tournament or an NCAA regional or final. And I'm not talking only hockey, but other sports as well.

Years ago I believe when you gathered 4 (or more) teams fans in one venue, more of the fans of the other teams either showed up early or stuck around later to watch your game, as well as theirs. Some of the best sports related days in my memory were attending MAC conference basketball tournaments, and watching 4 (and in some seasons FIVE!) games in a single day.

My guess is the trends I refer to don't necessarily apply to USCHO posters, because by definition we qualify as die-hards and love the game enough that most of us WOULD be among those who would watch as much as possible. I would guess of all the conference, NCAA, or in-season tournaments I have attended in any sport that I've stuck around 90% of the time my team WASN'T competing. Same goes for the people I attend these events with.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
            It is a great city for the F4, although it will cut down on budget conscious people who drive to the event normally. I didn't get to a game but was there as people were filing into the arena...sure seemed like they like hockey down there. The reason I think the city will be great is that it has a lot of small restaurants, there are great bars to roam into and the relatively small downtown will be crowded with hockey people. In DC, 90+% of the city didn't even notice the F4. In Nashville it will be something. I was there mid-winter and the streets still had plenty of people walking about, in March the weather will be much better. If they have it there I might go just because the family had a great time on our previous visit.
            It would be very interesting. The only thing that truly overtakes downtown Nashville are the Country Music Awards. I've been in town for non-country concerts during the CMAs, and I've been scared for my life just because of The Crazy that they bring out. Other than that, you can have a packed venue for most anything at Bridgestone, or the Ryman, or whatever else, and you're going to flux but not overwhelm downtown.

The issue with Nashville proving itself is that it's very unlikely that they'd get a regional bid, given that NCAA travel guidelines would have most schools flying into BNA. They're stuck with go-for-broke with a FF bid or being content to host a tournament founded with UAH for a while. I'm as big of a UAH partisan as there is, but I expect the former and not the later.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              The atmosphere, admittedly horrible, had to do with the city and the venue, NOT the teams. You had four teams in the same conference that year and it was a great rivalry FF.
              It was also a conference tournament rehash. The WCHA fans were justly proud of their league's accomplishments that year. But the 2005 tournament lacked the East/West match-ups that many FF regulars prefer.

The venue? The Downtown DC arena was just fine, but I don't remember the facility as being especially noteworthy. In a comparison with the Schottenstein Center, I'd say you'd have a wash. Both could be described as NHL quality rinks, both probably in the middle of the pack.

How do you explain the Washington DC FF? There, you truly had four zzzzzzz teams. Besides BU (who was good that year), you had Bemidji State, Vermont and Miami. That's hardly a gauntlet of hockey powerhouses and the whole weekend was electric.
              Contrary to your dopey dismissal of the underdogs, their very presence enhanced the tournament's atmosphere. Fans love David vs. Goliath match-ups. And powerhouses or not, the programs you're putting down each traveled well. No one fanbase took over the arena. So it was a truly neutral site, with all parties well represented -- a major part of DC's success. Coupled with the strong turnout of neutral fans, DC was indeed one of the better Frozen Fours.

What made 2009 was the city, the venue, etc. Columbus is a miserable town in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing else to do there at all. Washington, Denver, Boston, even STL had good environments because there was much more to offer than just the FF games.
              Despite the gratuitous hostility this post, there is an intelligent thought worth rescuing here. It's clear that the turnout rate among Frozen Four regulars varies considerably, depending on the perceived tourist value of the host city. For better or worse, the NCAA should take this factor into account when selecting sites.

I'll admit to being a little bit baffled by this. I've never had a bad time at a Frozen Four, not even in Providence. As far as I'm concerned, there was a good four day weekend to be had at any of the sites. If you're combining the FF with a longer vacation, sure -- there are definite advantages to sites like DC & Denver. Personally, my FF trip is usually limited to Wednesday evening through Sunday morning, so the tourist factor isn't all that important to me. But for the larger group, it does matter.

How does all of this apply to Nashville? I'm keeping an open mind. In comparison to the other sunbelt sites, it's closer to college hockey's home base than either Anaheim or Tampa. That's a plus. Many CCHA fans would be able to drive and would likely be interested in the option. But the tourist value to FF regulars is lower than either Anaheim or Tampa, and that must also be part of the calculus.

As I've previously posted, the tie-breaker in all of this is the willingness of the local community to support the event. For a negative example, consider Cincy in 1996. There was virtually no local support, and hence many sections of empty seats. Nashville in 2015, as an NHL city with a nice rink, might be a different story. But it's not a lock.

Comment

Amen. This can't be said often enough.

Comment

its a joke. stick to hockey bed towns. north east and central north area. nhl should also move out of carolina, florida, tampa, atl, anaheim
                  I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    I'll admit to being a little bit baffled by this. I've never had a bad time at a Frozen Four, not even in Providence. As far as I'm concerned, there was a good four day weekend to be had at any of the sites.
                    Hey, watch yourself there. Just because it was 11 years ago, let's not forget that few cities throw a Frozen Four party like Providence did - many times over.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                      Hey, watch yourself there. Just because it was 11 years ago, let's not forget that few cities throw a Frozen Four party like Providence did - many times over.
                      That was a little jab back at Onion Man, nothing more.

I made it to Providence twice for Frozen Fours, and it was great both times. Some of us just believe that there's fun to had on both sides of the Alleghenies.

Comment

Nashville just might be a perfect Frozen 4. hockey+country music+chicks with southern drawls=fun!
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Nashville just might be a perfect Frozen 4. hockey+country music+chicks with southern drawls=fun!
                          Only one of those things is cool.

I actually wouldn't mind a F4 in Nashville, though. Cool town.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Well, two out of three isn't bad.

Don't like the idea of going somewhere with two kinds of music: country and western.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                              Well, two out of three isn't bad.

Don't like the idea of going somewhere with two kinds of music: country and western.
                              No, they also have whatever it is that Rascal Flatts plays.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                                I have a lot of friends who are professional musicians in Nashville. None of them play country music.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X