Nashville 2015 (Frozen 4)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nashville 2015 (Frozen 4)?

There is nothing to do in Memphis even if you go there, which is a bad idea.
    Nashville is pretty far away from hockey country really. They do have a nice arena, and if you like country music there is lot's to do, (if you can keep all the blue hairs from getting in the way).
    I don't think it would expand the fan base for college hockey, but it might be a nice respite from the cold for northern fans since it can be quite warm by then. Cleveland is better imho though, and I hate ohio.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I don't like country music but I like BBQ and beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
        Keep the FF in towns like Denver, Boston, St. Paul, Washington, etc with the occasional trip to Philadelphia or St. Louis. No reason for hick towns like Nashville or Tampa to host a Frozen Four.
        I'll spot ya Nashville, though its only marginally hick. Tampa?? Hell, Tampa ain't hick.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I'd rather take Friday and drive north to Kentucky and do the Bourbon Trail.
        Or better yet, renting something like a limo or party bus for all of the USCHO posters to go on to partake in the festivities of the Bourbon Trail, or head south to Lynchburg.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          I'll spot ya Nashville, though its only marginally hick. Tampa?? Hell, Tampa ain't hick.

Or better yet, renting something like a limo or party bus for all of the USCHO posters to go on to partake in the festivities of the Bourbon Trail, or head south to Lynchburg.
          Lynchberg wouldn't be a hit with this group... It's in a DRY COUNTY Kentucky would be a good idea...

And if you want to go somewhere different, I would recommend going 3 hours East to Knoxville... Way more tourist stuff out that way with Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville... Knox is also got it's share of stuff to do for a day trip... Hotels are also a ton cheaper than here in the Midwest for whatever reason...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Lynchberg wouldn't be a hit with this group... It's in a DRY COUNTY Kentucky would be a good idea...

And if you want to go somewhere different, I would recommend going 3 hours East to Knoxville... Way more tourist stuff out that way with Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville... Knox is also got it's share of stuff to do for a day trip... Hotels are also a ton cheaper than here in the Midwest for whatever reason...
            Knoxville's rink is hardly of the calibre to host a good high school game.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              I don't think anyone is suggesting watching hockey in Knoxville, just mentioning it as somewhere to visit during the friday off-day.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again...With the exception of Colorado, hockey does not belong south of the Potomac.

And apologies to my friends in Huntsville.
                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Nashville? Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I was just mentioning Knoxville as an off day tourist trip... The Knoxville Civic Center, although a cool,older arena is nowhere near D-I Caliber... The balcony overhangs the glass on one end, so you can't see anything below the faceoff circle if you are in the 2nd row or further back... Knoxville also wouldn't care about the event at all... That town is so centered on Tennessee Sports, it's insane... The local ESPN Affiliate was trying to talk about the Superbowl in 2009 and callers kept calling in wanting to talk about something that Bruce Pearl did... This went on to the point that the host had to "Remind" callers that there was a pro-football game of relevance that weekend....
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      I was just mentioning Knoxville as an off day tourist trip... The Knoxville Civic Center, although a cool,older arena is nowhere near D-I Caliber... The balcony overhangs the glass on one end, so you can't see anything below the faceoff circle if you are in the 2nd row or further back... Knoxville also wouldn't care about the event at all... That town is so centered on Tennessee Sports, it's insane... The local ESPN Affiliate was trying to talk about the Superbowl in 2009 and callers kept calling in wanting to talk about something that Bruce Pearl did... This went on to the point that the host had to "Remind" callers that there was a pro-football game of relevance that weekend....
                      It's arena not withstanding, Knoxville is a great town!
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        There is nothing to do in Memphis even if you go there, which is a bad idea.
                        I watch the first 48 on A&E. You can obviously get murdered there.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

The local folks who put on the MC-UAH series last weekend seem serious about making a bid. Is it traditional college hockey country? No. Are more hockey players coming out of the mid-South and West Coast these days? Sure. Does it make sense to have two Frozen Fours in four years in non-traditional hockey markets? I don't think so.

I mean, I wouldn't mind having the FF just 1h35m from my front door [I drive to downtown for concerts fairly regularly], but I don't know where it makes a ton of sense for 2015.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Very sensible comment. Nashville is appealing as far as I'm concerned. But let's see how Tampa goes before taking the plunge.

A few years back, I was quite skeptical about St. Louis. My feeling was that it was too far removed from any current D-1 program. I was very pleased to be proven wrong by a fine local turnout, apparently from the Blues' fanbase. That said, it was still a pretty easy ticket on the secondary market.

So the question is, will Lightning & Preds fans support the FF the way the Blues fans did? Quite possibly so. But let's see how the Lightning fans do before we sign up for another experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Very sensible comment. Nashville is appealing as far as I'm concerned. But let's see how Tampa goes before taking the plunge.

A few years back, I was quite skeptical about St. Louis. My feeling was that it was too far removed from any current D-1 program. I was very pleased to be proven wrong by a fine local turnout, apparently from the Blues' fanbase. That said, it was still a pretty easy ticket on the secondary market.

So the question is, will Lightning & Preds fans support the FF the way the Blues fans did? Quite possibly so. But let's see how the Lightning fans do before we sign up for another experiment.
                              I think you'd see better response out of TBL than NSH fans, and as others have noted, the bulk of the fanbase at the FF is the group of folks who go every year. Those VISA commercials talking about the band of die-hards who've been to every Super Bowl makes me chuckle, knowing the folks who go to the FF every year.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                I think you'd see better response out of TBL than NSH fans, and as others have noted, the bulk of the fanbase at the FF is the group of folks who go every year. Those VISA commercials talking about the band of die-hards who've been to every Super Bowl makes me chuckle, knowing the folks who go to the FF every year.

GFM
                                My sister (Vanderbilt alum still living in Nashville who attends a few Pred's games each year) asked how the FF would survive there when all they could draw for the UAH games was 2000 and that included some free ticket offers for Preds fans. I then explained the roving "season ticket" group, and she, I think, understood.
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X