Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (1/14, 1/15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (1/14, 1/15)

The Capital District goes to central New York.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (1/14, 1/15)

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The Capital District goes to central New York.
    I'll be at both RPI games along with FlagDUDE. Cornell got a surprising sweep this weekend and will likely be on their game from the get-go on Friday. Union had a hard-fought win last night but absolutely stomped on Clarkson today. Should be 4 great, high-spirited games.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Hopefully we can find the defensive chemistry we had up until this weekend. We gave up 6 goals total which has been unusual for us up until now. Neither team can be taken lightly-Cornell is, well, Cornell and we haven't won at Starr in 10 tries. Let's hope for a successful road trip and get some momentum going.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Hopefully we can find the defensive chemistry we had up until this weekend. We gave up 6 goals total which has been unusual for us up until now. Neither team can be taken lightly-Cornell is, well, Cornell and we haven't won at Starr in 10 tries. Let's hope for a successful road trip and get some momentum going.
        York has to get his focus back. He let in at least two bad goals this weekend. The defense was not as good as it has been, but without those two goals, we still only let in 4 for the weekend. not too bad.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          York has to get his focus back. He let in at least two bad goals this weekend. The defense was not as good as it has been, but without those two goals, we still only let in 4 for the weekend. not too bad.
          EHF-Absolutely agree. This team this year will live and die with the success of the defense(including the goaltender). We do not have the offensive power to blow teams away often and we have some concerns about our ability to score with the man advantage. Obviously our struggles facing 5 on 3 situations is well documented. Our team is at it's best when we are clicking defensively and opportunistic offensively. We even get a considerable amount of our scoring from the defense. Let's hope we regain that style on the road in central New York where recent history has not been very positive for us. This is still a good, perhaps very good, team that has occassional stumbles. We become consistent and we become an NCAA tournament team this year.
          Last edited by DrDemento; 01-09-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Finally, some games where I don't have to travel umpteen hours! I'm looking forward to these. Let's make sure RPI has a good week of practice and works on our issues from this past weekend. Seemed like we were getting cute with the puck, and we need to get back into our good habits. I hate to be cliché but that's what seems to be going on.

Comment

Cornell will have to play much better than they did tonight to take points next week on home ice. Quinnipiac's forecheck bottled up the Big Red in their own end and their strong play through center ice prevented the forwards from entering the zone with speed. I can think of only a handful of chances that came from an aggressive attack into the offensive zone - one being the game winner in OT. For most of the game the Bobcats controlled play for long stretches. I'd expect both RPI and Union to watch the tapes and conclude that it is possible to really take the play to this Cornell team. Then again, the Big Red are often a much different, more confident club in the friendly confines of Lynah. It should make for an interesting weekend.

BTW: Does anyone know whether the Big Red had travel issues getting to the New Haven area last night? They just seemed a little slow reacting all night. I wondered if the long trip from NJ through the storm may have been partly responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                Cornell will have to play much better than they did tonight to take points next week on home ice. Quinnipiac's forecheck bottled up the Big Red in their own end and their strong play through center ice prevented the forwards from entering the zone with speed. I can think of only a handful of chances that came from an aggressive attack into the offensive zone - one being the game winner in OT. For most of the game the Bobcats controlled play for long stretches. I'd expect both RPI and Union to watch the tapes and conclude that it is possible to really take the play to this Cornell team. Then again, the Big Red are often a much different, more confident club in the friendly confines of Lynah. It should make for an interesting weekend.

BTW: Does anyone know whether the Big Red had travel issues getting to the New Haven area last night? They just seemed a little slow reacting all night. I wondered if the long trip from NJ through the storm may have been partly responsible.
                If they travelled friday late-the roads down here in NJ were fine. The snow did not really get going until saturday morning after 10AM. I am not sure what it was like further north but the Princeton area was fine until then. Part of their problem may hae been playing a pretty tough princeton team-they are a lot better than most had thought before the season. They also seem to put a lot of pressure on most defenses and get a fair total of shots on goal

Comment

The CURSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    If they travelled friday late-the roads down here in NJ were fine. The snow did not really get going until saturday morning after 10AM. I am not sure what it was like further north but the Princeton area was fine until then. Part of their problem may hae been playing a pretty tough princeton team-they are a lot better than most had thought before the season. They also seem to put a lot of pressure on most defenses and get a fair total of shots on goal
                    Here in Southern CT we had 12"-15" of snow starting early Friday afternoon. Cornell would have been driving right into it, albeit on very heavily travelled highways that should have been reasonably well prepped.

Enough weather. I'm looking forward to next weekend's games. Cornell was outplayed but opportunistic last night. They had relatively few really good scoring chances against Hartzell, who looked a little shaky (although I heard he was very good Friday night against Colgate). However, they converted turnovers into two of their three goals, including the game winner. The Engineers will have to be careful with the puck to avoid a similar fate.

Comment

In my 1,000th post(!!), I'm going to make a bold prediction:

This Friday, something's gotta give: Colgate will finally earn a league win, or Union will break its so-called "Starr curse". I've got a good feeling the latter will happen. And if it does happen, something's gotta give on Saturday: Colgate will finally earn a league win, or RPI will end its (approx.) 10-year "Starr winless drought".

Ughh, it's so tough being a Colgate fan this year.
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                        In my 1,000th post(!!), I'm going to make a bold prediction:

This Friday, something's gotta give: Colgate will finally earn a league win, or Union will break its so-called "Starr curse". I've got a good feeling the latter will happen. And if it does happen, something's gotta give on Saturday: Colgate will finally earn a league win, or RPI will end its (approx.) 10-year "Starr winless drought".

Ughh, it's so tough being a Colgate fan this year.
                        I don't think Colgate can be as bad as their record indicates. They should be the underdog in both games this weekend but it would not surprise me if they won one game. I am just hoping it isn't the one on saturday.

Comment

I watched Colgate play Princeton yesterday (the first two periods). Neither looked very good defensively. And it looked like a good defensive team could give both of their offenses fits. I was not impressed by either team.
                          Hopefully, when we play them, we will bring our A game and not play down to their level.
                          I would say, based on yesterday's performance, we should beat both teams, but this is the ECAC and you know what can happen. (See Clarkson).
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

I think we can safely say that these are MUST WIN games for RPI. I think, even with a tie, there's a good chance we'd be out of an at-large possibility.

Comment

don't know if SA is planning on 7 D-men again this weekend but I found it confusing why in the 3rd against St. Larry I never noticed Koudys on the ice and Beef saw very little ice. Halpern was walking without evidence of a limp, said he felt good, and Higgs was riding the stationary bike while the women's game was playing Friday.
                              Last edited by turk181; 01-10-2011, 10:46 AM.
                              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                              X