Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Virtually everything seems to have changed at some point since I was a student. I don't think that I was ever not allowed in the dorm between semesters or over Holiday breaks.
    Same here Ralph-I often stayed over vacation times at the school.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

They did offer housing over break (at least while I was there), however you had to pay extra (one-time fee regardless of how long you stay), and you don't get to stay in your regular dorm room, but rather one in a different dorm, I think Hall squared. Typically it was geared for the international students that don't want to pay to leave with a whole bunch of stuff for 3 weeks (which it was at the time; it's 4 now).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        They did offer housing over break (at least while I was there), however you had to pay extra (one-time fee regardless of how long you stay), and you don't get to stay in your regular dorm room, but rather one in a different dorm, I think Hall squared. Typically it was geared for the international students that don't want to pay to leave with a whole bunch of stuff for 3 weeks (which it was at the time; it's 4 now).
        There are one or two dorms open, including Crockett and I think Hall? but you had to fill out a form to stay. I don't know if there was a fee. I live in Crockett but I can't get into the dorm over break even though it's open.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          What? That's a little extreme. I also think there's a slight difference between Syracuse basketball or Texas football and RPI hockey. Besides, without Res Life representatives, there's no way that the dorms would be able to be opened at whim.

While I agree that the band is not of the same dedication as five / six years ago, FD08 has pointed out the numerous differences in student demographics. And I've especially noticed this year, that if school is in session, they have been there. That's been true whether it's been women's games, football, or men's hockey. Am I disappointed that it looks like the pep band won't be there for the Harvard / Dartmouth weekend? Yes. But I'm not about to go bat-sh!+ crazy about it, demand the head of the director, and start talking about instituting scholarships! That's just crazy.
          What I don't understand is why everyone is harping on the band's perceived lack of dedication as compared to five years ago. If anything, the band is more dedicated now than then - they're following an entire other D-I team in the women's team. Even with that increased load, they still never miss a home men's game with school in session, and hardly ever miss a women's home game, not to mention three road games each for the men's and women's teams, and all playoff games, with preference given to men's games. And this is all as a volunteer, completely student-run organization whose membership is simultaneously pursuing one or more degrees from one of the most demanding schools in the country. To call the band's dedication into question is weak.
          RPI '08

Comment

Originally posted by trick_trickster View Post
            What I don't understand is why everyone is harping on the band's perceived lack of dedication as compared to five years ago. If anything, the band is more dedicated now than then - they're following an entire other D-I team in the women's team. Even with that increased load, they still never miss a home men's game with school in session, and hardly ever miss a women's home game, not to mention three road games each for the men's and women's teams, and all playoff games, with preference given to men's games. And this is all as a volunteer, completely student-run organization whose membership is simultaneously pursuing one or more degrees from one of the most demanding schools in the country. To call the band's dedication into question is weak.
            I disagree. It's called dedication. The sports teams make all their practices and all their games. The band should be at all men's games at home, with the possible exception of games deep in the semester break or Thanksgiving. If the band is going to be part of the games, then it should be part of all the games. Priority should be men's home games, women's home games, home football games, men's road games. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
              The band should be at all men's games at home, with the possible exception of games deep in the semester break or Thanksgiving.
              How would you classify this weekend's games?
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                I disagree. It's called dedication. The sports teams make all their practices and all their games. The band should be at all men's games at home, with the possible exception of games deep in the semester break or Thanksgiving. If the band is going to be part of the games, then it should be part of all the games. Priority should be men's home games, women's home games, home football games, men's road games. Just my humble opinion.
                Is there an echo in here?
                RPI '08

Comment

Had planned to make both games but as I'm getting older and my night vision poorer - the snow may keep me home. Usually get tickets in advance but have not this year. I'm assuming there will be plenty for walk-ups or is that not the case? GO SAINTS!

Comment

Originally posted by number 16 View Post
                    Had planned to make both games but as I'm getting older and my night vision poorer - the snow may keep me home. Usually get tickets in advance but have not this year. I'm assuming there will be plenty for walk-ups or is that not the case? GO SAINTS!
                    I wouldn't expect either game at RPI to sell out, although the available selection of seats may be a little better for the SLU game than the Clarkson game. The students are on break so there should be plenty of room either way.
                    APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by number 16 View Post
                      If it would be easier, you're welcome to meet me at my house and ride down with me for RPI.

Comment

I think part of the reason is stemming from this being "a rivalry game", along with the ability of the local and semi-local band members to get together (or assumed lack of effort in attempt), not to mention what seemed to have happened back in the Ralph/DrD era. In the long run, this game is just as important as when we play Brown, or Dartmouth, or whomever in the ECAC. I definitely agree that the band is more willing to support both hockey teams, along with football, than in the past. I've tried not to complain about it too much, because it really is their band, and it's their choice when to show up. If they want to try to get something together and ask local alumni for help, that's cool. If they want to enjoy their time off because they've been hard at work for the past 4 months, that's cool too.

Comment

To call the band's dedication into question is weak.
                          No, you know what's weak? Failing to show up to a game in your own rink when you're playing your rivals who are bringing their band. That's weak.

No one's asking for the full complement, we're only asking the band to give a **** instead of demanding credit.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Tim - would love to hitch a ride to RPI. Give you a call tonight if your number is in the book. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              I think part of the reason is stemming from this being "a rivalry game", along with the ability of the local and semi-local band members to get together (or assumed lack of effort in attempt), not to mention what seemed to have happened back in the Ralph/DrD era. In the long run, this game is just as important as when we play Brown, or Dartmouth, or whomever in the ECAC. I definitely agree that the band is more willing to support both hockey teams, along with football, than in the past. I've tried not to complain about it too much, because it really is their band, and it's their choice when to show up. If they want to try to get something together and ask local alumni for help, that's cool. If they want to enjoy their time off because they've been hard at work for the past 4 months, that's cool too.
                              You know, I believe that the band is a very important part of the college hockey experience, and if there are people in the Troy area that are willing to go to the rink and play at the game, that would be great.
                              But as a parent, If my child is home for the holiday break, and the drive to the rink requires an overnight stay, I want that person here with me.
                              When my daughter was part of the swimming and diving team, she was required to cut her break in half to go practice with the team. I was not happy with that, but she made the committment to the team. She had no choice.
                              If the band members have a choice, and the trip to the rink is over 200 miles, they should stay home. This is voluntary and they should be able to take their break. JMO
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                But as a parent, If my child is home for the holiday break, and the drive to the rink requires an overnight stay, I want that person here with me.
                                When my daughter was part of the swimming and diving team, she was required to cut her break in half to go practice with the team. I was not happy with that, but she made the committment to the team. She had no choice.
                                If the band members have a choice, and the trip to the rink is over 200 miles, they should stay home. This is voluntary and they should be able to take their break. JMO
                                These are not children. They are adults who are able to make their own decisions, and those decisions can be criticized.

If you have no loyalty whatsoever to the band's mission, then what are you even doing in the band? To welch out like this is to tell the fans, to tell the team, that you don't really care, and you're only going to show up when it's convenient to show up. Failing to show up when the opposition is bringing a band is to put an emphasis on not caring.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X