Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part II - We Still Have Jerry York. Sorry, Everyone.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part II - We Still Have Jerry York. Sorry, Every

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    he wasn't the 'most talented', if that's what you are getting at. but he was, without question, the best HOCKEY PLAYER on the team. highest level of combined talent, leadership, patience, and moxie.

literally (), a man amongst boys.
    i defer to you.....but as a casual observeri'd have voted for Colin Wilson and i get the last line

Comment

• Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part II - We Still Have Jerry York. Sorry, Every

My problem with the Hobey is that the 10 finalists are by and large the 10 best players in the country. Every year, there are finalists who do next to nothing off the ice and are only there because they're one of the top scorers. But then when we get to the Hat Trick, suddenly what they did off the ice is just as important as what they did on the ice. Make up your mind- either it matters from start to finish, or it doesn't matter at all. Personally, I wish it just went to the best player like the Heisman. Very few of the voters actually know enough about what these guys do off the ice to have that be such a big factor. That's why you see so many curious choices IMO. I've disagreed with almost every Hobey choice for as long as I can remember.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

as an aside, can anyone tell me what mannydad's latest rep to me means

"french kiss the deuce horse face"
        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

If I were in charge, I would simply limit the Hobey Candidates to each league's POTY. To do that, I would do away with the silly process of only counting league games when these people decide all league honors, etc. It should encompass the whole body of work.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post

haven't heard that before so i can't help you ......... i haven't seen hokyd.......err, i mean mannydads posts but i dont read all the threads and thankfully there haven't been any here

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
              My problem with the Hobey is that the 10 finalists are by and large the 10 best players in the country. Every year, there are finalists who do next to nothing off the ice and are only there because they're one of the top scorers. But then when we get to the Hat Trick, suddenly what they did off the ice is just as important as what they did on the ice. Make up your mind- either it matters from start to finish, or it doesn't matter at all. Personally, I wish it just went to the best player like the Heisman. Very few of the voters actually know enough about what these guys do off the ice to have that be such a big factor. That's why you see so many curious choices IMO. I've disagreed with almost every Hobey choice for as long as I can remember.
              It's a unique sport because of the regionalization and it's not a highly televised sport. So you have one half of the country not very aware of what is going on in the other half. So they go look up some stats, pick the top guys from the other side of the country statistically and that's that. And who knows if they are ever willing to vote for someone from the other side of the country that they've barely seen? I'd imagine they'll go with what their own eyes have seen on their side of the country.

That's a problem in my opinion. And I STILL think this voting needs to be done at the end of the season. We've seen too many performances in the Frozen Four lately that could have been dealbreakers for a certain player (Collins? Gerbe? Atkinson?). They admitted there was a problem in the process when a guy like Marty Reasoner exploded in the 2nd half of 1997-1998 and carried the BC team to a national title game from out of nowhere while leading the country in points if I'm not mistaken with 70 pts. Not even a top 10 finalist that year. It was such a terrible joke that they moved voting back. Good... but they need to do it again. Include the biggest games of the year when they best players shine the brightest. Who cares if the Heisman doesn't count bowl games or if some finalists are on crappy teams that can't get extra games at the end. They can still win it too, but you at least let kids on the teams still playing a chance to go win it as well.

And you raise a good point about the other aspects of the award off of the ice.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                If I were in charge, I would simply limit the Hobey Candidates to each league's POTY. To do that, I would do away with the silly process of only counting league games when these people decide all league honors, etc. It should encompass the whole body of work.
                I do think league awards should include non-conference games but if you want them to do the whole body of work you really need to push this back to be done AFTER the HE tournament at the earliest and at the end of the whole year as well.

I just have a big problem with doing this stuff before everything is all said and done. I know it's nice to announce these things when you have your luncheons as part of a HE weekend in Boston (I think?) and obviously include the Hobey as part of the Frozen Four weekend but they are cheapening their awards by doing it this way.
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post

I miss hokydad. That's quite an interesting quote.

I wonder what he thought of the US getting rammed from behind by Canada in the semis...

Comment

Edina High School's Michael Sit commits to BC

EDIT: Not sure why the link isn't working, but if you go to mnhockeyhub.com, the article is on the top of the page.
                    Last edited by RockTheWhit; 01-13-2011, 09:49 AM.
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                      "So you're livin' in Edina, then?"
                      *****http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8127/fargomarge000x0660x371.th.jpg******
                      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                        Bad link. I clicked on it and my computer couldn't get to the link.

Nick, Reasoner actually finished with 73 points that year. He also won the Hockey East tournament's MVP and was on the All-Regional team and All Frozen Four team.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          And I STILL think this voting needs to be done at the end of the season. We've seen too many performances in the Frozen Four lately that could have been dealbreakers for a certain player (Collins? Gerbe? Atkinson?). They admitted there was a problem in the process when a guy like Marty Reasoner exploded in the 2nd half of 1997-1998 and carried the BC team to a national title game from out of nowhere while leading the country in points if I'm not mistaken with 70 pts. Not even a top 10 finalist that year. It was such a terrible joke that they moved voting back. Good... but they need to do it again. Include the biggest games of the year when they best players shine the brightest. Who cares if the Heisman doesn't count bowl games or if some finalists are on crappy teams that can't get extra games at the end. They can still win it too, but you at least let kids on the teams still playing a chance to go win it as well.
                          Can't disagree with any of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always feel like the Hobey is gonna go to a senior most of the time. Compare that to college football lately and that hasn't been the case. Those guys get it right pretty much all the time. The biggest thing you've brought up is that people from the east might not get to see the best from the west until the NCAA tourney and vice versa. I'm just not sure what the perfect solution is here. I just find it silly when someone wins the Hobey without even being the POTY in his own conference. Things like that irk me.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          I do think league awards should include non-conference games but if you want them to do the whole body of work you really need to push this back to be done AFTER the HE tournament at the earliest and at the end of the whole year as well.

I just have a big problem with doing this stuff before everything is all said and done. I know it's nice to announce these things when you have your luncheons as part of a HE weekend in Boston (I think?) and obviously include the Hobey as part of the Frozen Four weekend but they are cheapening their awards by doing it this way.
                          Agree again. Wouldn't mind seeing the process/timeline change, just don't know what the actual solution is.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                            Bad link. I clicked on it and my computer couldn't get to the link.
                            Edited
                            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

The biggest thing you've brought up is that people from the east might not get to see the best from the west until the NCAA tourney and vice versa. I'm just not sure what the perfect solution is here. I just find it silly when someone wins the Hobey without even being the POTY in his own conference. Things like that irk me.

My initial thought is you make up a committee to select the award once you have a solid list of finalists (unofficially or unofficially) and send that committee's members around the country to watch these kids and rotate them around to eliminate regional bias and maybe pick half of the committee to be eastern reps and half western reps based on where they are located. I like what I see when I see the bowl reps going to the last few RS games of potential candidates for their bowl games. Maybe that is something that could work in a modified setting to do for the Hobey

On the second part, if the POTY is different than the Hobey then someone got it wrong. Not necessarily the Hobey folks too, especially since they take more games into consideration as you noted before and that also includes all of the postseason games as well (can't remember how far voting goes for the HE awards).

Agree again. Wouldn't mind seeing the process/timeline change, just don't know what the actual solution is.
                              Do it on the Sunday after the national title game in the FF city. I know most people get out of there but get the award right rather than wanting to make it something people attend. Priorities are out of whack there.

Comment

i had thought that this would be the weekend that UNH would play one of those two games in hand they have on us but they actually will pick up another. they have their annual game with Dartmouth and no HE games this weekend and we have the one at Maine. huge game for the boys as we dont want to just stay even with UNH and them have 3 games in hand..........gotta get this one sunday but you know they'll be ready for us as they always are up there

Comment

Working...
                                X