Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shillelagh Tournament Thread (BU, Brown, Notre Dame, Minnesota St)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shillelagh Tournament Thread (BU, Brown, Notre Dame, Minnesota St)

All 4 of these teams are ranked in the top 30 in RPI, so this tourney will be big for PWR purposes. Oddly enough, only 1 of them enters the tourney with a winning record in its last 6 games, and that team is... Minnesota St?

BU gets co-captain Chris Connolly back after he missed the last 5 games with a broken finger, but it will be without 1st-line center Charlie Coyle, who's playing in the WJC in Buffalo. BU has already beaten Notre Dame and tied Brown this season. The 1st-round rematch with Brown should be interesting, as David Warsofsky said BU would "remember that hit" in reference to Harry Zolnierczyk's knee-to-knee hit on Adam Clendening.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Re: Shillelagh Tournament Thread (BU, Brown, Notre Dame, Minnesota St)

Brown needs to get back on track after 3 disappointing results on the heels of big away ties against BU and UNH. There's no shame in losing to Union or RPI, who are both ranked, but the way we played in those games was embarrassing. Hopefully the few weeks off will get us refocused and ready to face a BU team that will certainly not concede 2 goals in the first 3 minutes, as it did in the preliminary matchup. If I were Brendan Whittet, I'd tell Harry Z to keep his head on a swivel for the entire game; those BU players were not pleased with him after the last game and will be looking for payback.

Should be an entertaining tournament, with, as Fed League mentioned, 4 teams that are ranked in the top 30. Hopefully we can get a couple good results; we need to get back on a winning track after going 0-2-3 in our last 5 and with big games at Harvard, Dartmouth, and a home-and-home with Yale looming.

Comment

Just checking in to make the thread easier to follow. From what I can tell, I won't be able to watch any of the games, so I'll be listening on radio.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        Just checking in to make the thread easier to follow. From what I can tell, I won't be able to watch any of the games, so I'll be listening on radio.
        Yeah, I haven't heard of any video streams. We'll also be live blogging all 4 games on our blog (link in my sig), so I'd encourage people to check that out.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Posted this in the BU thread, too, but here's my BU-centric preview.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            Yeah, I haven't heard of any video streams. We'll also be live blogging all 4 games on our blog (link in my sig), so I'd encourage people to check that out.
            I did see that video streaming will be available for $10 per day. See the Notre Dame Hockey page. http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/s...122910aaa.html

We will be taking the trip to Chicago for the New Year and are looking forward to seeing some good hockey - we hope. As up and down as the Mavericks have been, we never know. Should be a good time though.

Comment

These are conference games for BU, right? We wouldn't play a non conference team twice in the regular season, besides possibly Harvard, right?

Comment

Posted this in the BU thread, too, but here's my BU-centric preview.
                This is my preview from ND's thread:

"Auld lang syne. Long, long ago. Most people assume ND will be meeting BU in the championship game this weekend. That would play well for the New Year. However, I love the sport of hockey. I take nothing for granted. All four of the teams participating in the Shilellagh Tourney are in the top 28 of the KRACH rankings.

Notre Dame is the highest in those rankings at 9th. ND is 3-2 in the month of December. They have earned points this season against some biggies, including BC, Michigan, Miami and NoDak. They are 12-6-2 thus far.

BU is 13th in the KRACH standings. The Terriers are 1-3 in December and they've earned points against UNH, Maine, Wisconsin and Notre Dame. They're 8-4-5.

Brown is 26th in the KRACH behind a 3-4-4 record (remember that the ECAC starts later and plays fewer games). They are 0-2-1 in December, but have earned points against BU and UNH.

Minnesota State is 28th in KRACH behind a 6-8-4 record. They are 2-2 in December and have earned points against CC and Minnesota.

ND scores 3.9 GF/game while giving up 2.85 GA/game. Top guys per class are T.J. Tynan with 27 points (which leads the team), Nick Larson with 12 pts., Billy Maday also with 12 and Ryan Guentzel with 23. As for special teams, ND has 14 PPG's behind a 13.7% PP. They've given up 13 PPG's against while killing off penalties at an 86% clip. They lead the nation in shorties with 8 while giving up none.

BU registers 3.12 GF while giving up 3.18. Sahir Gill is their top freshman with 16 points. Alex Chiasson leads the team and the sophomore class with 18 points. David Warsofsky has 17 points and Joe Pereira leads seniors with 11 points. They are 12% on the PP and 84% on the PK. They have 11 PPG's while giving up 15 a man down. They have 3 shorties and opponents have scored 4 shorties against them.

Brown scores 3.45 GF, while giving up 3.82 GA. Dennis Robertson leads their newbies with 10 points. Chris Zaires also has 10. Jack MacLellan leads the juniors and the team with 20, while Harry Zolnierczyk is the top senior with 13 pts. They have 12 PPG's while going a whopping 24% on the PP. They have given up 11 PPG's behind a PK of 80.7%. They have scored and given up 3 shorties.

MSUM scores 2.78 GF and gives up 3.33 GA. Chase Grant is their top freshman with 11 pts. Eriah Hayes has 9, Michael Dorr has 10 and Kurt Davis is their top senior while also leading the team with 14 pts. Their PP is 15.6% while scoring 14 PPG's. They've given up 17 PPG's with a PK that works 81.9% of the time. They've scored 2 shorties, but given up 4.

ND should start Mike Johnson both games. He's got a save % of .903 and a GA of 2.60. BU should employ Kieran Millan, who has a save % of .912 with a GA of 2.85. Brown's starter is Mike Clemente with a save % .879 and a GA of 4.01. MSUM's Phil Cook will likely start. He's got a save % of .911 with a GA of 3.11.

With a few aberrations, all the teams have similar numbers. Even though this tourney has been an afterthought lately, including in the stands, I think all 4 of the games should be quite competitive. I can think of no better way to ring in the New Year (and WeAreNDHockey's b-day) than to watch college hockey all weekend long."
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Anyone know of anywhere in or around Hoffman Estates that's gonna be showing the US game tonight?

Comment

Anyone know of anywhere in or around Hoffman Estates that's gonna be showing the US game tonight?
                    In that complex with the Marriott by the Sears Centre there are stores (sporting goods, restaurants, etc.). There's a BW3 or something like it that will have t.v.'s with all sorts of games.
                    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                      In that complex with the Marriott by the Sears Centre there are stores (sporting goods, restaurants, etc.). There's a BW3 or something like it that will have t.v.'s with all sorts of games.
                      Thanks. Will definitely check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                        Brown is 26th in the KRACH behind a 3-4-4 record (remember that the Ivy League schools in the ECAC starts later and plays fewer games).
                        It's not an ECAC thing... it's an Ivy League thing.
                        Fixed.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

BU is terrible. Bring on the Irish!
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

I am not a fan of these Notre Dame gold jerseys.I do like the Mankato purple. Together on the ice - it's an interesting mesh of color.

Comment

The tournament organizers must be extremely disappointed with today's results; they're getting the matchup with the least intrigue for the final.

Comment

Working...
                              X