Hybrid Icing - Success or fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Icing - Success or fail?

The refereeing has been atrocious in the northern NY/VT area when it comes to hybrid icing. Either refs aren't remembering about it or aren't being told properly about it or something. From this guy's point of view, either do it right, or don't do it.

Thoughts?

Re: Hybrid Icing - Success or fail?

im sure it's difficult overcoming so many years of icing being ingrained in your head and now having to relearn it and make those split second judgments in the flow of the game...

i saw the plattsburgh games this weekend so i know how badly those guys butchered icing on more than one occasion...but over the course of the season i've also seen far more players give up chasing an iced puck on a potentially winable race because they are so used to the old rule.

so i'm willing to give the officials more than a month or two to get more consistent in their enforcement. i think in theory it's a great rule...it will encourage teams to maybe take a few more chances in transition and it will eliminate whistles and increase flow. in theory.

if we are here 2 years from now and are having so many of the same issues, then i may feel differently.

Comment

The Canadian girls should be used to this, because they've play with this in Canada. The refs? Well, that's a different story.

It took me four years to get used to watching the defense glide down the ice beside aslowly iced puck like a curler watching his/her rock approach the house!! It looked stupid. I like the new "hybrid" icing. It keeps the game honest. But hte refs have to be able to buy in to it. (I have doubts about the St Louis's of the world...they're lucky to be able to bend over and pick up a puck, so I suspect they'll be waving off alot of icings!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        The Canadian girls should be used to this, because they've play with this in Canada. The refs? Well, that's a different story.

It took me four years to get used to watching the defense glide down the ice beside aslowly iced puck like a curler watching his/her rock approach the house!! It looked stupid. I like the new "hybrid" icing. It keeps the game honest. But hte refs have to be able to buy in to it. (I have doubts about the St Louis's of the world...they're lucky to be able to bend over and pick up a puck, so I suspect they'll be waving off alot of icings!!!)
        Winner. He missed 2 hybrids this weekend, one by about 7 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
          The Canadian girls should be used to this, because they've play with this in Canada.
          Whadduyu mean they play with this in Canada?. Pretty sure they did not last year in neither minor girls hockey, nor CIS hockey. I had never heard of this rule until recently or seen it applied in girls minor hockey. Saw it applied for the first time while watching a few NCAA games this year. The first time I saw it used, was wondering out loud why some icings were waived off and a fellow spectator informed me of the new icing rule "in trial mode" as he put it.

I think you might be confusing the new icing waiver rules used in the NCAA, with the one used for years that calls off icings if the D player was close enough for a chance to play the puck before it got to the line.
          Last edited by OnMAA; 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

my mini rant on officiating in the scores thread was primarily directed toward st. louis...though i thought all 3 of the guys on saturday were incompetent and lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
              my mini rant on officiating in the scores thread was primarily directed toward st. louis...though i thought all 3 of the guys on saturday were incompetent and lazy.
              Welcome to northern NY officiating...

Comment

I do not like the rule at all. It seems like a lazy way to play hockey as it encourages the "icing" team to hail mary it down the ice in hopes that their forward can win a foot race. If they have a legitimate pass that is one thing but most times they don't. I might be okay with it if there was some penalty for a failed icing.

Also, it is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident with two players racing towards the boards. That in itself makes the rule fool-hardy.

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                  I do not like the rule at all. It seems like a lazy way to play hockey as it encourages the "icing" team to hail mary it down the ice in hopes that their forward can win a foot race. If they have a legitimate pass that is one thing but most times they don't. I might be okay with it if there was some penalty for a failed icing.

Also, it is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident with two players racing towards the boards. That in itself makes the rule fool-hardy.
                  I haven't seen many teams trying to employ this strategy...

And if we are so worried about an accident with two players racing towards the boards, then why are we even playing hockey in the first place? Isn't 95% of the game involving players racing for loose pucks near the boards?

Comment

I'm a fan of the rule....in fact, I'm even a fan of allowing a bit more in the way of body contact. Maybe not all, but I think most of the girls would tell you the same thing themselves....that they're most certainly not afraid of a little more contact in their game. The rule is fine, but as noted above, the officials still need time to get used to it.

The New England Prep League plays by NCAA rules, and the officials there were definitely not prepared to enforce this properly in the couple of games I've seen already. Granted their season is barely 2 weeks old, but we may be asking too much when we expect these officials to actually skate hard to be in position for a potential icing waive-off. I always find it refreshing when I go to a game, especially a high school or club hockey game, and see an official really working it like it's Stanley Cup Final. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen often enough, and sometimes not even at D1 level.
                    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I like the rule as well. I would not want to go the way of the NHL which forces each player to race all the way and touch the puck first. The way the college rule is written now allows plenty of time for both players to avoid injury - each just has to avoid getting tangled up with the other and then break away as soon as she reaches the face off dot.

I've seen about a dozen games this year and recall only one instance where the refs completely blew the icing call. This was the first such icing of the game (not long after the drop of the first puck) and it was obvious that the lineswoman just forgot about the rule change. What was weird was this was well into the season. There have been a few judgmental calls you could argue with, but no other such blatant blunders, at least that I've seen.

All in all, I think the change has been good for the game and I hope they keep it and also expand it to the youth and high school levels.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post

I agree. It's only a matter of time before coaches figure out a way to exploit this rule.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                          I agree. It's only a matter of time before coaches figure out a way to exploit this rule.
                          Adds another dimension to the "winger hangs high" approach that some coaches deploy.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                            I think the exploit is faster skaters than the opposition. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Northland View Post
                              I think the exploit is faster skaters than the opposition. lol
                              Should you be able to take advantage of icing the puck though, that is the question. Reminds me of delayed offsides. Should teams be able to take advantage of stretching the rules? Smart coaches and players always will, eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X