Loser Fires The Coach: Michigan Tech at NMU, Friday, Dec. 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loser Fires The Coach: Michigan Tech at NMU, Friday, Dec. 17

Tech leads the season series 1-0-1 thus far, but has lost 10 straight and a much improved NMU team is looking for redemption.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Re: Loser Fires The Coach: Michigan Tech at NMU, Friday, Dec. 17

Let's go cats, coming off a great weekend let's win the last one before break!
    NMU

Comment

Will Tech find a new way to lose, or recycle one of the old ones?
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm just going to start drinking now.
        Always a Wildcat...
        Originally posted by Kepler
        If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Tech is still undefeated in non-confer.... hahaha I can't even get through that with a straight face.

NMU wins in OT.
          Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Well, I suppose if there was ever a point to turn the season around, it is in the place that your last streak started. I do know this: If Tech falls behind by 2 goals in the first ten minutes again, I think that it will be a lot harder for them to crawl back into the game this time around.

3,823 people attended the last Tech/Northern game in Marquette. However, break is upon us for this game. Last year for a game at this time of the year, attendance was 1,200 less. 2,700 attended the year before that. NMU loses out on a student atmosphere and about 1,200 tickets sold because they choose to have the game over the winter break. I am not advocating them having a random Tuesday game like we did in Houghton, but it couldn't hurt.

To me, this just shows how this rivalry has fallen. Tech considers these some of the biggest games of the year. NMU doesn't care that the games are over break and doesn't make the change to allow students to see "the rivals". The results have not been lopsided over the last few years, and these teams have produced good games.

Is Michigan Tech hockey becoming "little brother" in this relationship? Do we get up to play NMU and consider them the hated rival, while NMU is more focused on rivalry with other teams?

You see what 30 years of losing does to the perception of the game. We want to take NMU out because we don't like them, NMU wants to take us out because losing to us hurts their RPI and Pairwise Rankings. It isn't like the good old days where 8 conference points were on the line during the season.
            Philbert
            ---------------
            Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
            GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
              Tech considers these some of the biggest games of the year.
              We do? Maybe the native Yoopers do, but I think these games have merely above average importance to the rest of us.

What killed this rivalry the most was making it a non-conference series. Tech's program utterly tanking for most of the last 15 years didn't help, and is a contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                I'm just going to start drinking now.
                from seeing you drink during Minnesota weekend....

you'll be dead by thursday....(which would be a good thing, cause I think the game on Firday is gonna be a $H!T SHOW)

More than likely, I will be going to this game, I'm hoping to get comp tickets.....

I'll be staying in Marquette through Sunday, gonna kill time on Saturday, and go to carload day at Marquette on Sunday for a full day of skiing real cheap
                Last edited by techcodemonkey; 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  We do? Maybe the native Yoopers do, but I think these games have merely above average importance to the rest of us.

What killed this rivalry the most was making it a non-conference series. Tech's program utterly tanking for most of the last 15 years didn't help, and is a contributing factor.
                  Last I checked, NMU didn't have a "Husky Slayer Award" at the end of the year banquet (what they do with Huskies behind closed doors is their own business).

Also, last I checked, Michigan Tech didn't have an award for individual performance against any other team. No "Whack-A-Mole" award for UofMn. No "Puppy Kicker Award" for Duluth. No "Pound the Beaver" award for performance against Bemidji. No "Put the Inbred Husky Out of its Misery" award for SCSU.

But we have a "Wildcat Slayer" award. They aren't in our conference anymore, but we still have an award for individual play against them. We don't have an individual GLI MVP, though those games used to mean something 30 years ago.

So why a special award if they don't consider the games against NMU at least pretty near the top of the biggest games of the year list?
                  Philbert
                  ---------------
                  Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                  GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                    Last I checked, NMU didn't have a "Husky Slayer Award" at the end of the year banquet (what they do with Huskies behind closed doors is their own business).

Also, last I checked, Michigan Tech didn't have an award for individual performance against any other team. No "Whack-A-Mole" award for UofMn. No "Puppy Kicker Award" for Duluth. No "Pound the Beaver" award for performance against Bemidji. No "Put the Inbred Husky Out of its Misery" award for SCSU.

But we have a "Wildcat Slayer" award. They aren't in our conference anymore, but we still have an award for individual play against them. We don't have an individual GLI MVP, though those games used to mean something 30 years ago.

So why a special award if they don't consider the games against NMU at least pretty near the top of the biggest games of the year list?
                    Personally I care much more about how tech does against MN, WI, UND and UMD than I do NMU. Those games don't mean nearly as much as conference games and I really never gave a crap about NMU watching hockey growing up, it was all Gophers, Sioux and Bucky. That's who I want to see tech beat.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'll be at this game. Its going to be a snoozefest. NMU should win by 3....but it will probably be a 2-1 win for Tech.

Itd be a better series if both teams would score more than 1-3 combined goals. Every game is the same.
                      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                      2006-2007: 15-24-2
                      2007-2008: 20-20-4
                      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

I think this thread pretty much shows the feelings about the two teams.

I just hope our guys get through Friday night without any more injuries so they can rest up for Denver. While the 'Cats did a pretty good job splitting with Notre Dame, the tiredness of playing with a minimum lineup was evident in the third period Sunday.

What worries me though is that Tech is going to be just as physical as Notre Dame was... chippy dirty play after the whistle and all.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          chippy dirty play after the whistle and all.
                          Given the games I've seen so far this season, this is a good bet.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Personally I care much more about how tech does against MN, WI, UND and UMD than I do NMU. Those games don't mean nearly as much as conference games and I really never gave a crap about NMU watching hockey growing up, it was all Gophers, Sioux and Bucky. That's who I want to see tech beat.
                            I think, in a lot of ways, a similar sentiment is felt about NMU beating Michigan, MSU, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. Most of your NMU students grew up watching these teams, so seeing them come to town is a bit more exciting than seeing Tech.
                            Also, we're developing more of a natural rivalry with LSSU. They're our closest conference rival, we see them at least 4 times a year, and it's usually a heated game. We see Tech twice a year, and it's only for bragging points anymore.

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                            I'll be at this game. Its going to be a snoozefest. NMU should win by 3....but it will probably be a 2-1 win for Tech.
                            I'm afraid of that, too. They can be having a completely miserable year, but for some reason catch us by surprise.
                            And the December games are ALWAYS boring. Last year--boring. 2 years ago--I didn't go, but I seem to remember being told to not waste my time. 2007--tInvasion year, and Bakunin yelling the now infamous "Score a goddamn goal!" I hope that after this year, with the Superior Showsomething out of the picture, the series can be moved back to October, when it seems that emotions are running higher, and we're all so starved for hockey that these games are exciting.
                            Always a Wildcat...
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

I hope our boys don't catch anything while they are over there ...
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                              X