New UNE Rink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UNE Rink

I just heard about this on the radio and looked it up quickly before heading out to the Bowdoin Colby game. More details here:

http://www.une.edu/news/2010/alfondgift.cfm

Biddeford, Maine — The Harold Alfond Foundation has announced a commitment of $10 million to create an approximately $20 million state-of-the-art Harold Alfond Athletics Complex on the University of New England (UNE) campus in Biddeford combined with an investment in interprofessional healthcare workforce education.

The announcement was made this morning at UNE’s Harold Alfond Center for Health Sciences on the Biddeford Campus.

The project will include a 105,000-square-foot athletics complex featuring: an ice hockey rink with 900 seats; a basketball court with 1,200 seats; classroom space; a fitness center; and multi-purpose indoor practice courts that can also be used for performances and other events, with a combined seating capacity of 3,000.

This will provide the largest gathering space on both the Biddeford and Portland campuses. The complex will be located next to UNE’s new synthetic blue turf field.

“Harold Alfond understood the positive relationship between athletics and academics, and was inspired by UNE's mission to educate Maine's health care professionals," said Greg Powell, chairman of the Foundation's Board of Trustees. "We are delighted to support UNE during such an exciting period of growth for the University."

UNE President Danielle N. Ripich, Ph.D., said: “We are extremely grateful to the Harold Alfond Foundation for this transformational gift – the largest in the history of the University of New England. State-of-the-art educational and athletic facilities are fundamental resources that enhance the mental and physical well-being of our students. UNE’s reputation, the institution’s overall competitiveness, and our ability to recruit and retain academically engaged students will be forever changed by this very generous gift.”

In true Harold Alfond fashion, the $10 million commitment includes a challenge grant. When UNE has successfully matched the $7 million Alfond gift with other donations in support of its mission, the Foundation will gift an additional $3 million to UNE for the purpose of interprofessional health workforce education.

“UNE is unique in that it offers a broad range of health and health-related clinical disciplines and is able to engage practitioners, scholars and researchers across health professions to educate a future work force in Maine,” said UNE President Ripich. “The Alfond Foundation’s $3 million gift will enable us to prepare health professionals who can deliver integrated care in the 21st century and work towards establishing collaborative clinical practice sites.”
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Re: New UNE Rink

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
    I just heard about this on the radio and looked it up quickly before heading out to the Bowdoin Colby game. More details here:

http://www.une.edu/news/2010/alfondgift.cfm

Biddeford, Maine — The Harold Alfond Foundation has announced a commitment of $10 million to create an approximately $20 million state-of-the-art Harold Alfond Athletics Complex on the University of New England (UNE) ...
    The project will include a 105,000-square-foot athletics complex featuring: an ice hockey rink with 900 seats; a basketball court with 1,200 seats; classroom space; a fitness center; and multi-purpose indoor practice courts that can also be used for performances and other events, with a combined seating capacity of 3,000.

This will provide the largest gathering space on both the Biddeford and Portland campuses. The complex will be located next to UNE’s new synthetic blue turf field.

Harold Alfond understood the positive relationship between athletics and academics, and was inspired by UNE's mission to educate Maine's health care professionals," said Greg Powell, chairman of the Foundation's Board of Trustees. "We are delighted to support UNE during such an exciting period of growth for the University."

UNE President Danielle N. Ripich, Ph.D., said: “We are extremely grateful to the Harold Alfond Foundation for this transformational gift – the largest in the history of the University of New England. State-of-the-art educational and athletic facilities are fundamental resources that enhance the mental and physical well-being of our students. UNE’s reputation, the institution’s overall competitiveness, and our ability to recruit and retain academically engaged students will be forever changed by this very generous gift.” ...”
    Since I've learning to read, I think this might offer them a nice improvement!!
    Last edited by norm1909; 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
      Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but with last year's attendance averaging 1099, and this years averaging 1307, I guess they don't anticipate that their "period of growth" will extend to their hockey crowds, as last year alone they would have exceeded capacity by more factor of more than 2.5 of over 30% of the time. Maybe are they are looking for a reputation as the most sold out school, I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat polar bear.
      I don't know what school you are looking at, but The University of New England hasn't had 1300 people total in three games yet.
      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
        I don't know what school you are looking at, but The University of New England hasn't had 1300 people total in three games yet.
        Someday I'll learn to read
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Great news for UNE and the ECAC East. My guess is it won't be long and UNE will get a lot better.
          Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

This is probably good news for the return of their international aid program.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              This is probably good news for the return of their international aid program.
              As long as they get international students who don't play hockey...
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
              X