The NEXT Battle of Vermont - Castleton at Norwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NEXT Battle of Vermont - Castleton at Norwich

A little over 24 hours away people ... what are your thoughts?
    How much of an advantage is it for the Cadets that Castleton plays Friday night while they have the night off?

Re: The NEXT Battle of Vermont - Castleton at Norwich

Setting up the final battle of Vermont on feb. 4th
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Setting up the final battle of Vermont on feb. 4th
      Around these parts we just call that one THE GAME! (! is part of the name) Learn the lingo, kid
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I am probably one of the few fans that has seen both teams at least once this year. Castleton is still a blue collar team and plays a very agressive game from start to finish. They started well but lost to both Colby and Bowdoin at home that was a suprise to some of us. Goal production is what Castleton needs to improve on.

Norwich on the other hand has been competitive in all its games despite having some key players out with injuries and intergrating a number of new defensemen into the linup along with a new goalie.

Castleton/Norwich sporting events are always highly competitive and this game should be no exception. Great for fans to see Norwich/Castleton playing 2 games a year while still in the interlock.
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

I hoping to see some nice crisp passing and great scoring opportunities with a dash of strong defensive protection of the goal and goalie. Does that sound about right?
          There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

I'm going to state the obvious. Special teams play was the difference. NU had a 0% success rate. 0-5 with the advantage and 0-3 on PKs. Were Castelton's special teams that good, or was Norwich that bad? It seemed to me that there was a lot of running around Chinese Fire Drill type defense on the kill, and it let Castleton get very high quality shots, while at the other end, the PP was not very well organized.

That being said, Castleton played the game exactly as they needed to. They shortened the game to one period and then executed very well in that period. Keep the home team off the board, keep the the fans quiet, and execute with special teams. Hats off to them, they played a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              I'm going to state the obvious. Special teams play was the difference. NU had a 0% success rate. 0-5 with the advantage and 0-3 on PKs. Were Castelton's special teams that good, or was Norwich that bad? It seemed to me that there was a lot of running around Chinese Fire Drill type defense on the kill, and it let Castleton get very high quality shots, while at the other end, the PP was not very well organized.

That being said, Castleton played the game exactly as they needed to. They shortened the game to one period and then executed very well in that period. Keep the home team off the board, keep the the fans quiet, and execute with special teams. Hats off to them, they played a great game.
              Couldn't put it better, NU Prof, and even though I liked the play of Chris Gour (first game freshman d), I thought on the whole our defense kept getting pulled out of position and weren't in place to back up Dubois when he left a rebound out there. Castleton is a different team this year, fast, hard hitting and much more stamina than they use to have. They deserved the win and sadly outplayed Wick to get it.
              What was up on the no goal for Castleton with 20 sec. left, must be it hit the post but didn't cross the goal line? George was sure it was a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                Couldn't put it better, NU Prof, and even though I liked the play of Chris Gour (first game freshman d), I thought on the whole our defense kept getting pulled out of position and weren't in place to back up Dubois when he left a rebound out there. Castleton is a different team this year, fast, hard hitting and much more stamina than they use to have. They deserved the win and sadly outplayed Wick to get it.
                What was up on the no goal for Castleton with 20 sec. left, must be it hit the post but didn't cross the goal line? George was sure it was a goal.
                From my vantage point it looked like it hit the post and richoetted out.

Gour was the d-man that got caught on the wrong side of the net that led to Castleton's GWG goal.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

I couldn't tell what happened. I'm on the opposite end of the ice, so all I saw was a scramble on the other end, and the start of a celebration by Castleton, but no red light.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    From my vantage point it looked like it hit the post and richoetted out.

Gour was the d-man that got caught on the wrong side of the net that led to Castleton's GWG goal.
                    Ouch, I didn't realize it was him, but I have to say he wasn't alone, and had some nice moves offensively. Anybody else concerned about our special teams. The power play does not appear effective at all.

Comment

Ouch, I didn't realize it was him, but I have to say he wasn't alone, and had some nice moves offensively. Anybody else concerned about our special teams. The power play does not appear effective at all.
                      Your first responsibility as a defensemen is defense, and I was concerned that he was a little too focused on offense - nice moves, but it seemed like he was going down low on offense a lot. I prefer to see defensemen stay at home

Comment

Did anybody besides me have trouble with the NSNvideo feed? At the start of the second period the picture went haywire, although the backgroundscreen stayed OK. Ended up listing to WDEV feed, which is almost better than watching it anyway.
                        Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          Sums up the season so far!

Comment

In reference to the no goal towards the end of the game all the fans around me claim the puck only hit the post and never went in and we had an excellent view fairly near the net. I not sure why George Comeau was so certain it should of been a goal but would like to see a replay.

I would of prefered Norwich playing a more defensive game like I have seen them play in the past against good Middlebury and Plattsburgh teams and look for good scoring chances with solid checking. I thought the #1 unit on the Norwich power play was outstanding, Castleton just played great defense and blocked every shot in sight. I can't ever remember seeing a team score on all its power plays like Castleton did last night. Norwich could use a little more production from the 3rd and 4th lines who have some outstanding players.
                            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                              Did anybody besides me have trouble with the NSNvideo feed? At the start of the second period the picture went haywire, although the backgroundscreen stayed OK. Ended up listing to WDEV feed, which is almost better than watching it anyway.
                              Yes I had the same issue as well....but it was all game for me. I remember in the 2nd period I got a text from Prez saying the period was over, and the clock on the TV feed said 14:00 minutes left in the 2nd. Oh well its free video feed, can't always be perfect.
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                              X