X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2010-2011 - Part Deux

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Banwell is a good player with a very quick release. There are those times when he makes very poor decisions with the puck. For instance, in the 3rd period against UNH when he passed the puck to the middle of the ice when Maine couldn't clear the zone. Upper classmen shouldn't make those types of mistakes. I like Banwell and sitting out a game should benefit him as the season goes along.
    No offense,but I wouldn't mind seeing him relegated to a permanent back-up role.

I don't see a lot of Maine games,so I'm looking at a fairly small sample here,yet every time I watch the Bears,I gasp at Banwell's decision-making.He always seems to try to either lug the puck through traffic in the low slot,or attempt to pass across it,once or twice a game.As often as not,that leads to a good scoring chance for the other team.

(You can't coach "smarts",right?)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-14-2010, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      No, you cant. Some kids just continually make bad decisions with the puck. At game speed, things happen quickly
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Pudge View Post
        correct me if i'm wrong but if your leading after 2 periods, unless someone scores in the intermission, then you're probably gonna have a third period lead.
        OK. If you're tied in the 2nd intermission, and then someone scores a minute in, you now have a 3rd period lead. You were not leading going into the 3rd. Though I suppose the way you worded it, "leading after 2 periods" still applies. Still, the streak was for games entering the 3rd period with a lead.

Your welcome.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

No offense,but I wouldn't mind seeing him relegated to a permanent back-up role.

I don't see a lot of Maine games,so I'm looking at a fairly small sample here,yet every time I watch the Bears,I gasp at Banwell's decision-making.He always seems to try to either lug the puck through traffic in the low slot,or attempt to pass across it,once or twice a game.As often as not,that leads to a good scoring chance for the other team.

sure you can.
          you can practice at game speed, not 1/3 speed.
          you can also do overspeed training to get into a different mindset.

EVERY Freshman defenseman makes at least one really stupid play, pinching at the blue line or passing to an opponent to set up an immediate goal... (they get one get of jail free card), then they NEVER DO IT AGAIN... this is because they are taught smarts. (for those of you with a long memory... if they DO do it again, they have to score 2 goals to make up for it... Metcalf vs. UNH)

Banwell is the only D man who hits consistently. (Looks like Timmy has already coached hitting out of O'Connell)
          Unlike the man behind the curtain, I happen to believe that hitting in hockey plays a great role... wearing down opponents, creating space and putting fear into their minds for the rest of the game.
          Banwell did that (Duffy did that)... and they were benched for it. Cornell just allows UNH to get off a one timer right in front of him in the crease, and it is allowed, because that fits with Timmy Poke Check "defense"

Comment

did you see who got Mushaluk-ed on the goal in OT?

that happens with ole flat foot consistently, and he still plays short handed and in the last minutes of periods...
            as far as I can tell, Hegarty's biggest attribute is his ability to play like Nick Petrecki.... but Timmy does not allow that kind of play from his defensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
              did you see who got Mushaluk-ed on the goal in OT?

that happens with ole flat foot consistently, and he still plays short handed and in the last minutes of periods...
              as far as I can tell, Hegarty's biggest attribute is his ability to play like Nick Petrecki.... but Timmy does not allow that kind of play from his defensemen.
              He has been playing well as of late on the penalty kill though.....................thought he stepped it up against Mass last game from what I saw........

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                He has been playing well as of late on the penalty kill though.....................thought he stepped it up against Mass last game from what I saw........
                I thought he looked good that whole game(UNH)until he got spun around in OT
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I thought he looked good that whole game(UNH)until he got spun around in OT
                  I didn't even notice that...All I remember was seeing the rebound go right on the UNH guy's tape like it had eyes.

Still PO'ed about that game;Maine deserved a much better fate.Beating Miami will improve my mood,though.

Comment

I didn't even notice that...)
                    I saw it live but I can't bear to watch it on my DVR. Beating Miami would be nice, great for PWR.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010-2011 - Part Deux

I didn't even notice that...All I remember was seeing the rebound go right on the UNH guy's tape like it had eyes.

Still PO'ed about that game;Maine deserved a much better fate.Beating Miami will improve my mood,though.

Wasn't Hegarty the one that got spun and smoked in OT? Watching the replay, I see 44 (Hegarty) get skated around by 16 (Henrion) like he was standing still.
                      You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                      ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                      ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                      ...you hate UNH.

Comment

If Maine plays the way they did that game (minus the 2nd half of the 3rd period) against UNH at the Witt, they have a good chance to win there for some revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
                          If Maine plays the way they did that game (minus the 2nd half of the 3rd period) against UNH at the Witt, they have a good chance to win there for some revenge.
                          Check out www.hockeyeastonline.com for unh/maine game highlights

Comment

Congratulations to Brian Flynn for receiving Hockey East (Player Republic), Player of the Week. Flynn is the only repeat award winner this season (October 25th). He has developed into a fine player both defensively and offensively.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              I saw it live but I can't bear to watch it on my DVR. Beating Miami would be nice, great for PWR.
                              I chugged a bottle of Pepto-,and watched it again...

You had it right,Heggarty was spun around,but the f#@%ing rebound was just too perfect to miss.My dearly departed grammie coulda slapped that MF home with her walker.

Somewhere,Shawn is saying:"That's hockey."
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-16-2010, 02:19 AM.

Comment

During this downtime, thought you might like to read this interesting article.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...putting-tools/

Comment

Working...
                                X