X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2010-2011 - Part Deux

Originally posted by staind86 View Post
    Didn't Anthoine get a game misconduct for that hit? So I think he was suspended for the game. (but I agree, that hit was DIRECTLY in front of where I sit, it was a charging or boarding penalty for sure, but not so malicious as to warrant a 5 minute game misconduct).
    A game misconduct doesn't give you the next game, only a game disqualification does, you rarely see that for a hit from behind major unless there's clear intent to injure, and there was definitely none on that hit. It was a tough call, I thought the player turned away from the hit causing it to be 'from behind'.. I think any HFB into the boards is a major now, though they prob should have called it boarding 2 min, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      I'm so sick of watching pathetic efforts at the Alfond, when the place used to actually be an intimidating place for opponents and a blackbears win was expected. If they don't turn it around this year and go deep I'm giving up my season tickets. I've sold half of them the past two years, and I'm not too excited about going to the Alfond to see them choke against their "rival".
      What is their record vs BU, BC, and UNH over the last 5 years? Pretty pathetic I'm sure.
      Yea. Likewise.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
        Diamond is one of the best goal scorers Maine has ever had.
        I'm sorry... what?!?

17 career goals? In 1.5 seasons?

Usually like your posts but... wow.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          ......... Banwell just doesn't do it for me.
          Banwell is a good player with a very quick release. There are those times when he makes very poor decisions with the puck. For instance, in the 3rd period against UNH when he passed the puck to the middle of the ice when Maine couldn't clear the zone. Upper classmen shouldn't make those types of mistakes. I like Banwell and sitting out a game should benefit him as the season goes along.
          Last edited by Runsub5; 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            I'm sorry... what?!?

Diamond is a real player, not sure he's the best goal scorer but the guy can make room for himself in tight quarters, takes no BS from anyone and if he wasn't hurt right now would have more points. His skating is way off and has been for a few weeks.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
              It must have been the way you said it.

It was good to see Maine wasn't going to let the game go in the third.
              Yeah, I didn't gush about the ancient history frozen fours
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'm sorry... what?!?

he only started playing on a scoring line and on the PP at the very end of last season...

he is a pest and he is a goal scorer... he knows where to shoot to score, is that better?

(if you ever saw John Hopson miss open net after open net when the puck as IN THE CREASE, you will know what the opposite of a goal scorer is... Diamond finds what the goalie gives)

Comment

I'm so sick of watching pathetic efforts at the Alfond, when the place used to actually be an intimidating place for opponents and a blackbears win was expected. If they don't turn it around this year and go deep I'm giving up my season tickets. I've sold half of them the past two years, and I'm not too excited about going to the Alfond to see them choke against their "rival".
                  Well, it was not that long ago that his VIPNess and a few others suggested sending letters to the President and Tim's buddy Blake and telling them what is making you drop your season tickets

Friday on the Black Bear web site they had a wonderful announcement
                  Tickets remain for tonight's game. against UNH

Comment

I'm sorry... what?!?

Lowered expectations.......this isn't your Walsh Black Bears........it's TIMMAY time!

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                      Well, it was not that long ago that his VIPNess and a few others suggested sending letters to the President and Tim's buddy Blake and telling them what is making you drop your season tickets

Friday on the Black Bear web site they had a wonderful announcement
                      Tickets remain for tonight's game. against UNH
                      The thing that ticks me off is that Maine fans should have been complaining and boycotting 3 years ago.......not now. The team is actually worth investing in and watching now. Mainers.......always a day late and a dollar short.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Banwell is a good player with a very quick release. There are those times when he makes very poor decisions with the puck. For instance, in the 3rd period against UNH when he passed the puck to the middle of the ice when Maine couldn't clear the zone. Upper classmen shouldn't make those types of mistakes. I like Banwell and sitting out a game should benefit him as the season goes along.
                        One more thing about Banwell. He was unable to play in the Hockey East Championship series in Boston this past spring. He was sitting with his family across the aisle from me (with a leg that he couldn't bend), watching his team play BC in the championship. I felt bad for him and hopefully he'll have another opportunity to be there once again playing on the ice.

Comment

I couldnt believe MANGENE didnt get one of the three stars yesterday! If you ask me I'd take an entire team of that kid. He gives you 150% everytime hes on the ice. He might not score alot of goals but if it wasnt for him the others on the team would have a few less points! He gets in the dirty areas and doesnt get alot of credit for it...well I'm gonna give him some! Pat yourself on the back Mangene and keep up the good work, I think the rest of the team could learn a thing or two from you!

Comment

You took the words right out of my mouth. That kid can FLY. Fun to watch. I also thought some of our young guys played well and look promising: O'Conner, Swavely - scrappy, pretty good skaters.

Originally posted by DownEastblkbearfan View Post
                            I couldnt believe MANGENE didnt get one of the three stars yesterday! If you ask me I'd take an entire team of that kid. He gives you 150% everytime hes on the ice. He might not score alot of goals but if it wasnt for him the others on the team would have a few less points! He gets in the dirty areas and doesnt get alot of credit for it...well I'm gonna give him some! Pat yourself on the back Mangene and keep up the good work, I think the rest of the team could learn a thing or two from you!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Diamond is a real player, not sure he's the best goal scorer but the guy can make room for himself in tight quarters, takes no BS from anyone and if he wasn't hurt right now would have more points. His skating is way off and has been for a few weeks.
                              Maybe the BREAK came at the right time this year,giving players like Diamond/Leidermark/Corkum a little time off and with both O'Neill and Dimmen on the mend....plus flushing out the last few weeks down the drain and starting anew in Florida....need some wins in Florida with both contest's being Out of Conference games then onto the Meat & Potatoes of Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                                Where did I say when leading after 2 periods? You quoted me it clearly says coughing up third period leads.
                                Oh I get it!...correct me if i'm wrong but if your leading after 2 periods, unless someone scores in the intermission, then you're probably gonna have a third period lead. So there is 100+ games in the early part of the decade where maine didn't cough up a 3rd period lead...or if they did they got it back again (not ultimately coughing it up). The only other scenario is if they were tied or trailing entering the 3rd period, got the lead and then coughed it up. I'm willing to bet maine coughed up fewer 3rd period leads than their opponents in those games too. Go back and check if you want....everyone remembers and is understandably frusterated with 2002 but nobody remembers the Harvard game and other big games where maine came back to win. The combination of puckluck players and coaches wins the game. Obviously defensive zone coverage is a team effort and requires good direction by the coaches and good communication by the players but when you have someone like a Jimmy Howard or a Prestin Ryan who is a one man breakout vs someone who attempt to clear the puck by putting on the opposing defenseman's stick, it makes all the difference. I'm sure Grant had a good deal to do with it but was he the only reason? No. Maine had the leadership and the defensive players who could execute what they were coached to do. I'm sure Timmy told Banwell to clear the puck right to the UNH D and told Dee to lose the draw.

Having said that, it would be nice if we could finish teams off a bit better this year. If you don't think Tim wanted to finish UNH off, why did he call a timeout during the last PP of the game to rest the 1st unit...he wanted to step on UNHs throats as much as the next guy. Some things just aren't up to the coaches. It is unacceptable to lose a 3-1 lead to your arch rivals at home and lose in OT. I think it will help when Dimmen and ONeil get back and I'm sure the coaches are more ticked off than anyone on here but people need to realize that it is only December and the goal is to make the NCAAs...then all it takes is to get hot at the right time. Hell in 99 we coughed up the regular season championship with 2 consecutive losses to UNH...blowout losses and we all know what happened that year. Tough losses are part of the game, just like puckluck, you learn what you can from them, you make the adjustments (I think conditioning should be the first one) for things that you can control and move on to focus on the next game.

Some people on here need to relax and realize that hockey is a team sport and the coach is only part of the team.

Maine will be fine if they play like they are capable, work hard and don't do their annual Jan/Feb swan dive. If they keep giving up 3rd period leads than they will probably not be fine, but I have faith in the leadership of this team that this area will improve in the 2nd half.

Ok stepping off soapbox now.
                                New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

Working...
                                X