This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010-2011 - Part Deux

This game is #17 of 34 regular season games, so the year is halfway over. I said in the game thread, that Maine is adding to their resume of being labeled: overrated, uninspired, complacent, frauds.

Before you tell me to not overreact...

This isn't a 'nothing is good enough and we're never satisfied' thing. You're gonna win, you're gonna lose, but this team can be a lot better. We returned almost everyone from one of the most dynamic offenses in college hockey a year ago. Our team GAA is 2.5.

That 2.5 should be more than sufficient for this squad to win more than 8 games in 17 tries.

As I said in the game thread, we're:

2-4-1 in our last 7
    2-5-2 against teams in the top 20 (at the time of play)
    WINLESS against TUCs away from home
    0-3-1 against our 3 conference rivals

We've had 1 good weekend. ONE.
    5 of our 8 wins come against an opponent W/L of: 13-48-17

Wow, we can pick on bottomfeeders...aren't we something special?

The list of things this team has to be proud of so far this year is depressingly short.

The 2nd half of the regular season officially starts tomorrow. Hope they wake up!
    Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
      This game is #17 of 34 regular season games, so the year is halfway over. I said in the game thread, that Maine is adding to their resume of being labeled: overrated, uninspired, complacent, frauds.

Before you tell me to not overreact...

This isn't a 'nothing is good enough and we're never satisfied' thing. You're gonna win, you're gonna lose, but this team can be a lot better. We returned almost everyone from one of the most dynamic offenses in college hockey a year ago. Our team GAA is 2.5.

That 2.5 should be more than sufficient for this squad to win more than 8 games in 17 tries.

As I said in the game thread, we're:

2-4-1 in our last 7
      2-5-2 against teams in the top 20 (at the time of play)
      WINLESS against TUCs away from home
      0-3-1 against our 3 conference rivals

We've had 1 good weekend. ONE.
      5 of our 8 wins come against an opponent W/L of: 13-48-17

Wow, we can pick on bottomfeeders...aren't we something special?

The list of things this team has to be proud of so far this year is depressingly short.

The 2nd half of the regular season officially starts tomorrow. Hope they wake up!
      the loss of Dimmen as on offensive defenseman is huge.

but even with him, I do not think that Maine will have an answer for Andy Miele and Carter Camper if Maine happens to see Miami again this season.
      not until Nyquist heals

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
        *yawn*
        gosh... you did not say a statement that Priceless could simply disagree with... so he has no "response"

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
          not until Nyquist heals
          Is Nyquist injured??? Is this why he has been pretty much invisible this season?

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
            Is Nyquist injured??? Is this why he has been pretty much invisible this season?
            He's still 2nd on the team in scoring at over a point per game. Most people wouldn't consider that invisible.

His 61 points last year were over 39 games. Should he play 39 games at his current scoring pace, he'd have 48-49. Still better than Levs ever did, Moore ever did, etc. And they weren't 'invisible'.

I don't know if everyone was expecting a season that would rival Kariya the 1st's, but don't you think teams gameplan around shutting him down, specifically? He gets 'double covered' and is on pace for almost 50...despite...yes... having some dings.

I'd say he's fine on paper, and isn't any kind of expectation setback. It's the rest of the squad that needs to figure this thing out.

Comment

He's still 2nd on the team in scoring at over a point per game. Most people wouldn't consider that invisible.

His 61 points last year were over 39 games. Should he play 39 games at his current scoring pace, he'd have 48-49. Still better than Levs ever did, Moore ever did, etc. And they weren't 'invisible'.

I don't know if everyone was expecting a season that would rival Kariya the 1st's, but don't you think teams gameplan around shutting him down, specifically? He gets 'double covered' and is on pace for almost 50...despite...yes... having some dings.

I'd say he's fine on paper, and isn't any kind of expectation setback. It's the rest of the squad that needs to figure this thing out.
              He doesn't look as good as he used to, that's the only thing that matters.

Comment

The a**-whupping Maine took today was a little sobering,for sure...But the PWR hit they'll take as a result of losing to Miami is small potatoes compared to the PW boost they would have gotten,had they held off UNH.(I wouldn't mind the former so much,had the latter gone the other way.)

I'm gonna stay positive,and chalk up today's weak showing to the team being all over the map yesterday,traveling to FL.But they better pull together and deliver a beating to a down Cornell squad tomorrow,or I'll be back on the anti-depressants again.

Goooooooo,Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by bearsFan93 View Post
                  He doesn't look as good as he used to, that's the only thing that matters.
                  I completely disagree.

I think teams are squeezing him tightly, and his most consistant linemate (House), isn't following through like he has and can. His production, and thus, noticability, are effected.

If you want to talk about 'performance being effected by playing through nagging injuries', perhaps Gustav himself isn't the guy to be looking at.

A way to look at it...

(Remember, House's back seized up after a play late in the Vermont game. He missed the BU game, came back against NU after being listed as questionable, but these muscle-related injuries can stay with you)

Tanner House PPG

Through Vermont: 1.14 ppg
                  Since His Return: 0.33 ppg

Gustav Nyquist PPG

Through Vermont: 2.00 ppg
                  Since House Injury: 0.7ppg

By golly I think we may have found a potential coorelation?! Perhaps Dee centering Gus and Spencer might be an idea until Tanner is closer to 100%
                  Last edited by Howitz-ah; 12-30-2010, 02:14 AM.

Comment

And not that I'm in position to question brilliance like having Matt Mangene center 2 defensemen on the 3rd line....but....here's my lines for tonight:

Abbott--Dee--Nyquist
                    Flynn--Diamond--Shemansky
                    Mangene--House--Beattie
                    Andersson--Corkum--Anthoine

O'Neill--Cornell
                    Van Dyk--Pryor
                    Nemec--O'Connor

On 1...Our 3 most effective scorers we have going right now.
                    On 2...Adam has been a little flimsy, but his heart is always there. He's opportunistic, so put him with a couple scorers who will shoot the puck and see if he can't jump on a rebound.
                    On 3...Beattie could benefit from a little veteran guidance. House needs a break from top line duties. Matt makes any line better.
                    On 4...Corkie and Mark like to play bash brothers, which isn't timmay hockey, and thus they're not seeing deserved time. They bring needed intensity and desire.

On D...I want to give Pryor another look at his natural position. And Cornell is a +11 w/ 4 points in 11 games as a D-man while he has an assist and 2 shots on goal in 4 games used as a forward. He's been one of, if not, the most effective d-men on our team. Can we please stop misusing him? Banwell and Hegarty are on my: 'you don't have the job on seniority alone' ****list.
                    Last edited by Howitz-ah; 12-30-2010, 03:01 AM.

Comment

And not that I'm in position to question brilliance like having Matt Mangene center 2 defensemen on the 3rd line....but....here's my lines for tonight:

Abbott--Dee--Nyquist
                      Flynn--Diamond--Shemansky
                      Mangene--House--Beattie
                      Andersson--Corkum--Anthoine

O'Neill--Cornell
                      Van Dyk--Pryor
                      Nemec--O'Connor

On 1...Our 3 most effective scorers we have going right now.
                      On 2...Adam has been a little flimsy, but his heart is always there. He's opportunistic, so put him with a couple scorers who will shoot the puck and see if he can't jump on a rebound.
                      On 3...Beattie could benefit from a little veteran guidance. House needs a break from top line duties. Matt makes any line better.
                      On 4...Corkie and Mark like to play bash brothers, which isn't timmay hockey, and thus they're not seeing deserved time. They bring needed intensity and desire.

On D...I want to give Pryor another look at his natural position. And Cornell is a +11 w/ 4 points in 11 games as a D-man while he has an assist and 2 shots on goal in 4 games used as a forward. He's been one of, if not, the most effective d-men on our team. Can we please stop misusing him? Banwell and Hegarty are on my: 'you don't have the job on seniority alone' ****list.
                      I have to admit that I looked at all your post tonight/morning and agree with 95%...you are a man on a mission...like alot of us we can't figure this team out from one game to another...which team shows up...and like you said play the d-men as d-men...and on the sit list Hegarty/Banwell was well put. No excuses here they were run out of the barn yesterday,by a team with a goal...getting back into the NCAA's and to Minnesota in April....Maine has alot to get better at before they think of anything remote of where Miami/ohio was last night.....

Comment

Tim was proud of that line, saying I wouldn't want to play against them.
                        After the game he said it was their best line
                        http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...thargic-bears/
                        Last edited by walrus; 12-30-2010, 06:43 AM.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          If that was the best line, I wonder how awful the other lines looked against the blackhawks? Had heard Miami is big and fast...apparently so. Lets face it, this Maine team is 3 to 4 goals a game behind the level of a frozen four team most likely at this point. Up to the guys on the team to determine whether or not they want to step it up in the second half and see if they can make a run at an NCAA spot. Its all uphill at this point and up to them. I remain optimistic that they will do what needs to be done. If not, we simply fire Timmay!
                          Last edited by acs64; 12-30-2010, 07:09 AM.
                          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Best line? Must have been their 3 shots on goal that sold that one.

Mangene can single handedly create crazy pressure on anyone and make those around him shine. I'm guessing that played a role in 'whatever' he saw.

And I'm sure he wouldn't want to play against them. Most nearing 50 D-3 alums wouldn't. What's his point? The team they were playing didn't seem to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                              If that was the best line, I wonder how awful the other lines looked against the blackhawks? Had heard Miami is big and fast...apparently so. Lets face it, this Maine team is 3 to 4 goals a game behind the level of a frozen four team most likely at this point. Up to the guys on the team to determine whether or not they want to step it up in the second half and see if they can make a run at an NCAA spot. Its all uphill at this point and up to them. I remain optimistic that they will do what needs to be done. If not, we simply fire Timmay!
                              They clearly can't compete with a team like Miami who is certainly a top 5 team. Can they turn it up a notch, that remains to be seen. The one bright spot has been the play of Sully. Getting Dimmen back will help assuming he can play at his previous level. They may get home ice in HE, I see BU, BC and Unh ahead of them. An NCAA berth would be great, gets them some experience on the nat'l stage. Timmay ain't going anywhere no matter what happens.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                They clearly can't compete with a team like Miami who is certainly a top 5 team. Can they turn it up a notch, that remains to be seen. The one bright spot has been the play of Sully. Getting Dimmen back will help assuming he can play at his previous level. They may get home ice in HE, I see BU, BC and Unh ahead of them. An NCAA berth would be great, gets them some experience on the nat'l stage. Timmay ain't going anywhere no matter what happens.
                                The boyz are painting themselves into a corner unfortuneately. Right now, to get a shot at a berth I'm guessing they've got to split or sweep at UHN, beat BC at home and sweep BU at home....very tall orders. Especially given their dismal records against those teams recently. Not to mention not caving in to the weak sisters of HE. And, beat Cornell. I dont know, I guess I'm pretty disappointed with the way things are going recently....sure hope they are too and are willing to turn this thing around. Sure theres some key injuries, but you gotta overcome those, somehow. But ur right about Sullivan, he seems to be playing consistently solid between the pipes. They OUGHT to be able to work with that and use it to their benefit phercrissakes.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X