Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI MMXI III: Overanalyzing The Iron Men and Other Uses of Internet Bandwidth

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    A relative of the BRO spotted at the SLU game:

http://www.timesunion.com/seen/slide...5.php#photo-10

ETA; Photo #25
    For those wanting to put a face to the name, I'm in photo 15 with MadameKai. Other members of the First Church are in photo 20.
    Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

• Re: RPI MMXI III: Overanalyzing The Iron Men and Other Uses of Internet Bandwidth

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      Agree w/the observation that York is nursing an injury.Watched warm ups very carefully and he takes really short reps...at one point he took a shot in the mid section and left the net skated to the bench area stood there bent over for a prolonged period of time...I too would be interested in the opinion of our resident goalie expert WS....
      I'll leave the expert tag for others, but I am flattered.

After I read both of your posts, I immediately thought of the CCT warmups were Merriam took at least 60+% of the warmup drills and then the SLU game where Allen was hunched over toward the end of the game at stoppages. I suspect your astute observation on York is accurate.

Completely agree with AD's Rogic and Dolan/Bailen views. Koudys had some excellent shifts in the SLU game --including a great shot from the point which generate a fat rebound. Too much standing around on the PP.. we need movement...without that, we're making it too easy on PK units. I did think it looked a bit better last night, even if the #s didn't show.
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

After getting tossed around all night Friday, the one thought I had was we really need the BRO here to keep opponents honest. Teams are getting away with WAY too much B.S. in front of York. Where I come from, anybody takes a whack at my goalie after the whistle, they WILL end up with an up-close introduction to the crossbar...whilest blowing snot bubbles.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Times Union snapped a picture of me and troyboy at game. They didn't use it ... I don't know why!!!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contri...7/photo/535377
          Last edited by AspyDad; 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
            For those wanting to put a face to the name, I'm in photo 15 with MadameKai. Other members of the First Church are in photo 20.
            Very nice
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              Times Union snapped a picture of me and troyboy at game. They didn't use it ... I don't know why!!!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contri...7/photo/535377
              Like the orange suit-makes me think about the Great Pumpkin. Would do something with that hair however.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

RPI holds steady at #8 in this weeks INCH power rankings:

http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Poll...polls_0915.htm

However fall to 11th in the PairWise and Krach:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/

Comment

one thing I would change on the PP is to put a left-handed shooter in the right face-off circle. A right hander there amounts to nothing more than a release valve to pass to. Now, if we're clipping along at a 20-25% rate, fine but we're not. We need offense on the PP. As always, players need to move, move, move. Moving by the defense, out of desperation, creates one tired PK unit...which can sometimes lead not only to a goal but a desperation trip, hold = 5x3
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    one thing I would change on the PP is to put a left-handed shooter in the right face-off circle. A right hander there amounts to nothing more than a release valve to pass to. Now, if we're clipping along at a 20-25% rate, fine but we're not. We need offense on the PP. As always, players need to move, move, move. Moving by the defense, out of desperation, creates one tired PK unit...which can sometimes lead not only to a goal but a desperation trip, hold = 5x3
                    I think the only lefty we have the plays right side is Pat Cullen, and I'm not sure if he plays on a PP unit or not (MAYBE the second one). You're definitely right in that there wasn't enough movement on the PP; the blocking forwards were right on top of our point men. The crowd yells "Shoot!" but you're not going to shoot it into a forward.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      I think the only lefty we have the plays right side is Pat Cullen, and I'm not sure if he plays on a PP unit or not (MAYBE the second one). You're definitely right in that there wasn't enough movement on the PP; the blocking forwards were right on top of our point men. The crowd yells "Shoot!" but you're not going to shoot it into a forward.
                      Our first power play unit is totally predictable. It starts at the left point usually Bailen. Passes down to Polacek, back to Bailen (this can be repeated). Then Bailen crosses it to Bergin who passes it down to Helfrich (this too can be repeated). Helfrich then passes accross the middle to Polacek for a one timer. The defense has figured this out and the man playing the middle doesn't move, blocking the pass or making it very difficult to get it to Polacek.
                      Helfrich needs to shoot. Even if it doesn't get through, we have to get the opposition thinking that we will do something else. So far, we continue the play I described, and any team paying attention will get in the way.
                      Thank goodness for Bailen. At least when he decides to shoot, he has had success. But if he is the only one shooting other than Polacek, all shots are coming from the same side. Again, easy to defend.
                      Shoot the puck Tyler.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

NHL CSB Midterm rankings http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Pat Koudys is #71 in the North American skaters list.
                        Recruit Chris Bradley is #152.
                        Recruit Curtis Leonard is #200.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI remains at #10 in this weeks uscho polls.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            Our first power play unit is totally predictable. It starts at the left point usually Bailen. Passes down to Polacek, back to Bailen (this can be repeated). Then Bailen crosses it to Bergin who passes it down to Helfrich (this too can be repeated). Helfrich then passes accross the middle to Polacek for a one timer. The defense has figured this out and the man playing the middle doesn't move, blocking the pass or making it very difficult to get it to Polacek.
                            Helfrich needs to shoot. Even if it doesn't get through, we have to get the opposition thinking that we will do something else. So far, we continue the play I described, and any team paying attention will get in the way.
                            Thank goodness for Bailen. At least when he decides to shoot, he has had success. But if he is the only one shooting other than Polacek, all shots are coming from the same side. Again, easy to defend.
                            Shoot the puck Tyler.
                            Yup to all of the above-I would like to see a body skating through the crease every so often also. A big body. Too many of the shots we do get off (and they are far too few on the PP) are just clean shots that the goalie sees all the way. The Bailen/Polacek duo is just great-but as you point out having something coming from the other side with a slab of beef in front could make things difficult to defend. Sometimes I wonder what Tinordi or Malchuk would be able to add in front of the net.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                              RPI remains at #10 in this weeks uscho polls.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/
                              I am still seeing last week's polls.

EDIT: Give this link a shot: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-me...uary-10,-2011/

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                Shoot the puck Tyler.
                                AGREE! This is where I believe we miss Pirri and D Amigo-they were able to read and effectively do cross ice passes-through traffic and find the openings. Polacek is able to do the same but I believe he is the only one of this PP that can do that at this time. He was always ready for those passes. It is all inthe movement and timing. One thing they should try is to step into the coverage, make a move and shoot and if someone is sitting at the net there would be rebounds for those that don't go in. This is a coaching issue and needs to be resolved. If this team becomes a threat on their PP they will be hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X