Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI MMXI III: Overanalyzing The Iron Men and Other Uses of Internet Bandwidth

Back from the game, and because I can't sleep, some thoughts on the game:

Not much called, but I think it was atypical ECAC reffing. They tried to get us the win at the end of regulation, although Beauregard's apparent goal was waved off. It was on the other side of the rink, so I couldn't see if it went in or just hit a pipe. Although, I did notice the ref was using a walky-talky during what I imagine was review time. RHam, did the ECAC provide a video review judge to sit at RPI-TV's setup with your crew in order to review that situation? Could that have been a pilot of what RPI's system for replay will be?

Regarding Jeff Foss's shootout attempt: that has got to be one of the best dekes I have seen in a while!

Comment

• Re: RPI MMXI III: Overanalyzing The Iron Men and Other Uses of Internet Bandwidth

No, the two guys up at the video box who where sitting next to me where both from the USA team. I did manage to get a really good shot of that play, and it does look like it did not go in, and hit the top bar instead quite clearly. What is strange is that the 3rd goal by USA Jrs. looks like it did the same thing. I only saw it on a tiny screen, but that is what it looked like to me. I will take a closer look again tomorrow and maybe post a few frame by frame shots.

The official replay will be a lot more legitimate. There will be two ceiling cameras pointing down to the goals feeding a booth near the officials table. I don't know if they plan on starting to use this early next semester or if they will be waiting for next season.
      Watch many of the RPI hockey games on our website, rpitv.org

Comment

Ed Weaver's article about yesterday's game http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Ed Weaver's article about yesterday's game http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
          All right so he got the shootout score right, but the score of the game TOTALLY wrong. Basics.
          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Not much called, but I think it was atypical ECAC reffing.
            As far as I could remember, I had not seen either ref before; Leonard is listed as an ECAC ref, Graber has done ECAC before but looks like he's spent his time recently in the CHL. I liked that after the game I was able to say "Wow, I hardly noticed the officials tonight." A hard-fought game without the ticky-tack calls to slow down the flow.

After looking at box scores, Graber also did the exhibition against UNB to start off the season. Quite a bit more penalties in that one, but that was a rough and tumble game against a big UNB squad so not surprising.
            APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              All right so he got the shootout score right, but the score of the game TOTALLY wrong. Basics.
              Although I agree it's wrong, I'm not going to fault Ed on this one. Why? The Field House Staff erased the score from the regulation and overtime period and kept the shootout score on the board, rather then keep stats for the shootout on paper and add the extra goal for the shootout winner. Therefore, at the end of the game, the scoreboard display clearly said RPI 5, USA Jrs 4. The regulation score was likely forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Awesome game tonight. Had it all. Was very impressed with the maturity of the freshmen, Dolan and Rogic. Dolan is a gritty kid who besides his goal made some good defensive plays. I think the US team hit 6 posts but Allen was awesome. For those not there Allen went down in a heap in the third but came back to win the shootout. I hope he is OK. BTW- it looks like we are the undisputed second best team in the ECAC after Union got beat again tonight 3-1.

Exit question - Did you agree with RPI fans booing Jerry as he was attempting his shots during the shootout? I thought it was a little tacky and that's coming from me Jerry has done so much for the program
                I don't know about undisputed 2nd, because our game doesn't count for the stats, not to mention if we were to play about 20 more games this season (against Union, that is), we'd probably go 10-10.

Regarding fans booing Jerry, obviously during the regular course of the game, my thoughts were, "Jerry's off limits, but the rest of the players are fair game." I also did not boo him during the first shootout attempt. However, it's still RPI playing hockey, and Jerry is not currently a member of the squad (although he is a still part of the RPI family, hence why during intros he was the only opposition that did not receive the traditional "You Suck"). We'll have two weeks (hopefully) where we'll be able to root on USA while they are in Buffalo. I know one of our regular posters on here knows someone under a similar experience and vision. While the puck is in play, it's all about RPI.
                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 12-20-2010, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I started a thread for the games vs. UAH http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...0-amp-12-31-10. We probably won't be invaded by the eagles and beagles this time.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I started a thread for the games vs. UAH http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...0-amp-12-31-10. We probably won't be invaded by the eagles and beagles this time.
                    I think that it was just poor wording on Weaver's part.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

ROFL @ Sunday's photoshop on Without a Peer... I'm not linking directly to it because the link is, in and of itself, a spoiler. However y'all know the link to the site.
                      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM.

Comment

...although Beauregard's apparent goal was waved off. It was on the other side of the rink, so I couldn't see if it went in or just hit a pipe. ...
                        I was definitely a goal...we saw it from our side, but equally telling was that both teams stopped skating -- THEY knew it was a goal and were waiting for the refs to figure it out. I will renew my long held complaint that our goal judges are AWFUL.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          I was definitely a goal...we saw it from our side, but equally telling was that both teams stopped skating -- THEY knew it was a goal and were waiting for the refs to figure it out. I will renew my long held complaint that our goal judges are AWFUL.
                          The red light went on, and the referee immediately waved it off. I know it's only an exhibition, but now I feel REALLY bad for Kevin, working really hard in practices, getting his chance to take one from the point, only to have the ref say no. At least he got a point last year, so he isn't completely off the score tallies.

You're definitely right about the goal judges.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                            As far as I could remember, I had not seen either ref before; Leonard is listed as an ECAC ref, Graber has done ECAC before but looks like he's spent his time recently in the CHL. I liked that after the game I was able to say "Wow, I hardly noticed the officials tonight." A hard-fought game without the ticky-tack calls to slow down the flow.

After looking at box scores, Graber also did the exhibition against UNB to start off the season. Quite a bit more penalties in that one, but that was a rough and tumble game against a big UNB squad so not surprising.
                            Agreed about the officials - they let them play. Which was a refreshing change...and the players responded by playing great hockey without the worry of ticky tack BS. Linesman Glen Cooke is an AHL guy and an ECAC regular. Leonard and Graber are ECAC.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

The red light went on, and the referee immediately waved it off. I know it's only an exhibition, but now I feel REALLY bad for Kevin, working really hard in practices, getting his chance to take one from the point, only to have the ref say no. At least he got a point last year, so he isn't completely off the score tallies.

It would have been nice for KB to find the scoresheet. I was happy that he and Justin Smith got quality minutes. What a great experience for our younger D-men to have logged so much ice time against blue chippers...that will definitely pay off down the road. Bo Dolan was on fire --love that kid.

Comment

I didn't think that it went in, and in any case, it was an exhibition game, so it wouldn't have counted. Even so, it's too bad for him.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X