Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utica to the SUNYAC? - Biggar's Column

http://www.uscho.com/2010/12/05/who-...and-its-teams/

For anyone that hasn't read this yet, I highly suggest reading this feature story/column written by ECAC West correspondent Scott Biggar.

Very informative and some good coach reaction as well as some statements by the ECAC.

When i read the tease, Utica was about the last team I thought of that would be applying to get out of the league.

Neumann and Manhattanville were first on the list.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Utica to the SUNYAC? - Biggar's Column

Great column by Scott. Thanks for posting it, Prez. If Utica gets into the SUNYAC, we'll be in the same position with uneven teams WHEN (not a matter of if) Canton joins the SUNYAC. Unless there is a long range solution like a New Paltz, Oneonta, or SUNYIT joining then I don't think Utica needs to be in.

ECAC needs to step in and help the West out. I was hoping someone like an Ithaca or Nazareth would join to make a hockey version of the Empire 8, but that's not going to happen. I'd hate to see Elmira, M'Ville and others without a home.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      Great column by Scott. Thanks for posting it, Prez. If Utica gets into the SUNYAC, we'll be in the same position with uneven teams WHEN (not a matter of if) Canton joins the SUNYAC. Unless there is a long range solution like a New Paltz, Oneonta, or SUNYIT joining then I don't think Utica needs to be in.

ECAC needs to step in and help the West out. I was hoping someone like an Ithaca or Nazareth would join to make a hockey version of the Empire 8, but that's not going to happen. I'd hate to see Elmira, M'Ville and others without a home.
      From the article, it sounds like their hands are tied. Which brings into question what good the ECAC is really doing for the West teams. I believe Scott wrote more an opinion piece last year or maybe it was another poster on here which said "What good is the ECAC if they are nothing more than responsible for assigning officials and giving out weekly awards each week."

What I'm more intrigued about is who the two New York schools are that the ECAC has talked to that expessed interest in a team.

The only ones I can think of are Alfred, St. John Fisher, Houghton, Hartwick, Ithaca, University of Rochester, Nazareth, and SUNY Canton.

Do any of them even have club teams?
      GO LAKERS!!!
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I know Ithaca has a decent club team, Prez. I do know Stevens in the Empire 8 has a club team as well as Fisher and Nazareth.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I know Ithaca has a decent club team, Prez. I do know Stevens in the Empire 8 has a club team as well as Fisher and Nazareth.
          The only thing with Ithaca is it might be a tough draw with Cornell in town.

Stevens is in New Jersey though correct?
          GO LAKERS!!!
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Well, there's always Scranton

I think the best idea would be a merger for hockey purposes of the ECAC W and SUNYAC. The only problem might be the restriction on "umbrella" conferences, which would require that there be just a single conference champion. Scott's two conference plan runs afoul of that I think.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Well, there's always Scranton

I think the best idea would be a merger for hockey purposes of the ECAC W and SUNYAC. The only problem might be the restriction on "umbrella" conferences, which would require that there be just a single conference champion. Scott's two conference plan runs afoul of that I think.
              I doubt the SUNYAC would go for it if there was only one bid. It doesn't help them in anyway.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              Oswego State '09

Comment

The "umbrella" conference idea is nothing different than what the ECAC is today, with the current ECAC East, Northeast, and West. However, because of the SUNYAC restriction that their teams must operate under their auspices, any kind of merger between the SUNYAC and the ECAC West would have to operate under a SUNYAC "umbrella" instead of under the current ECAC "umbrella".
                Scott Biggar
                WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Logic ....
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                    Moving on....

The ECAC West teams remaining could conceivably go independent, correct? They'd just be competing for a Pool C each year which is essentially going to happen after the MASCAC gets their autobid anyways. Sure, once leagues' play begins there'd be fewer opportunities for games, but in that case the independents could play each other. Just thinking out loud here.

Comment

Side note but its hard to do business with NCAA right now. NCAA needs to add more programs but the cost to do that is extremely expensive with Title IX and such. The big news of adding new teams are already established (Canton). They need to do something to incent schools to start programs.

Seems like there is going to be constant shuffling until NCAA can get a handle on this. Took a miracle just to start the PSU NCAA program. And that was miracle because I doubt another school would find an alum that generous

Ok im going to read the article now

Comment

Far fetched idea, but let me throw it out. You could have the ECAC NE swallow the four remaining teams to make a 12 team league.

Comment

Far fetched idea, but let me throw it out. You could have the ECAC NE swallow the four remaining teams to make a 12 team league.
                          Logic...

It appears that no existing teams are willing to join the ECAC West but maybe the ECAC East and Northeast can step forward to take two teams each. But the Northeast teams effectively pushed Lebanon Valley out of the league due to travel distances involved, so the likelihood of accepting a team outside of their traditional geographical area such as Neumann, Hobart or Elmira is low.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                            Moving on....

The ECAC West teams remaining could conceivably go independent, correct? They'd just be competing for a Pool C each year which is essentially going to happen after the MASCAC gets their autobid anyways. Sure, once leagues' play begins there'd be fewer opportunities for games, but in that case the independents could play each other. Just thinking out loud here.
                            Logic...

The combination of only being eligible for an at-large bid from Pool C while all other teams chase after automatic qualifiers puts the ECAC West teams at a big disadvantage.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Yes, except the majority of the NE teams are more less afraid to play those schools on a regular basis, or pay for the travel involved. To me, merging the East and West seems to make more sense as the East seems more similar to the West in terms of level of play, financial commitment to the programs, facilities, etc. etc.

edit: Especially with the end of the East's interlock with the NESCAC.
                              Last edited by altazo; 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X