Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU @ RPI, Saturday 12/11/10

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    Sounds like a good question for me to ask Parker when we talk to him this week. Will have a response either here or in the weekend preview. I imagine proximity has something to do with it, along with the fact it's an old rivalry, and a competitive one at that (BU holds a 33-27-3 edge all-time).
    That would be great if you could sneak that in when you chat with him this week. I personally enjoy playing the Boston area schools in NC games, they always seem to have a certain excitement level to them. Most of the time its because they are ranked high in the polls.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

For what it's worth, I remember in Appert's first year as head coach there was a come-uppance when Appert (allegedly) elected not to exchange game tapes with BU for our early season matchup. There was substantial speculation that it was going to lead to end to the rivalry, which was of course only fueled by the fact that we didn't play the next year. Fortunately (in my opinion), it seems that that either never was actually an issue or has been entirely resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        In the old days it was one of the most heated rivalries in college hockey. I think BU deserves a world of credit for continuing this tradition. Now if we can only convince them to come to Troy for the Holiday Tournament every so often-we could have a decent field and a top notch tournament. Over the years some of the best hockey i have seen has been in RPI-BU games.
        I agree Dr. D. Always a good time when BU brings a good crowd with it and just a fun night of hockey.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
          I agree Dr. D. Always a good time when BU brings a good crowd with it and just a fun night of hockey.
          Too bad it won't be a fun night of hockey, because the game is in the afternoon.

Comment

This article may have been placed in the RPI thread, but regarding tomorrow's game, as told by the Troy Record:

http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory

Comment

Don't expect a big BU crowd Saturday for a 3:30 game. I'm coming with a bunch of friends, but our away game crowds this year have been less than usual.
              time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I might even go. I went back in 1969-70, the only time that RPI was there. It was a disaster.
                i found out about that event too late-i was in medical school and could not get away. I know we did not do well.
                "Did not do well" is something of an understatement, as that 1969 trip to MSG saw RPI lose 9-0 to Cornell and 7-1 to BC.

I didn't go to those games, but my roommate went to the first one.

My roommate said that as he headed for the concession stand between periods, with RPI already hopelessly behind, he overheard one spectator say to another, "Boy, these RPI guys are really playing like a bunch of amateurs!"

At least he acknowledged that our adherence to the recruiting rules was beyond reproach.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                  "Did not do well" is something of an understatement, as that 1969 trip to MSG saw RPI lose 9-0 to Cornell and 7-1 to BC.

I didn't go to those games, but my roommate went to the first one.

My roommate said that as he headed for the concession stand between periods, with RPI already hopelessly behind, he overheard one spectator say to another, "Boy, these RPI guys are really playing like a bunch of amateurs!"

At least he acknowledged that our adherence to the recruiting rules was beyond reproach.
                  Waite-You have to remember I survived 1965-66 in Troy. Even 9-0 and 7-1 was better than a lot of the games from that year.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Waite-You have to remember I survived 1965-66 in Troy. Even 9-0 and 7-1 was better than a lot of the games from that year.
                    Indeed it was, but at least at the Field House in 65-66, one didn't have to put up with a lot of fans other schools.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Indeed it was, but at least at the Field House in 65-66, one didn't have to put up with a lot of fans other schools.
                      Ralph-I seem to recall some games at HFH during that year where I did not have to put up with too many fans from RPI either.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I'm predicting an RPI victory tomorrow. They're due !!!
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          I'm predicting an RPI victory tomorrow. They're due !!!
                          I'm not so sure about that ... we're 2-1-1 against BU in our last four meetings (all within the last 5 seasons).

Comment

I think the meaning was that we're due for a win at home. Of the last 5 times we've played BU, the wins have been at Agganis (and ironically, we've never lost at Agganis; perhaps that's why JP keeps scheduling us )

Comment

That would be great if you could sneak that in when you chat with him this week. I personally enjoy playing the Boston area schools in NC games, they always seem to have a certain excitement level to them. Most of the time its because they are ranked high in the polls.
                              Not sure how much of this quote I'm going to include in my preview, so here's the whole thing from Parker:

One of the reasons why we choose RPI is that we’ve had a long history with them. We dropped them when we split leagues and didn’t play them for a while, and I had no intention of playing them again. Then Buddy Powers, my assistant now [and a BU alumnus], got the head job there, so we immediately got them back on the schedule, and we’ve been on the schedule with them ever since. And one of the great things is it’s not that difficult travel-wise. They’re a brand-name hockey team. They’ve been very successful over a long period of time. It’s a great house to play in, an old barn, but they fill it up. There’s a lot of enthusiasm for the sport on campus, so you’re going to play in front of a big house. It’s a lot of fun to play there.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                                Not sure how much of this quote I'm going to include in my preview, so here's the whole thing from Parker:
                                Thanks for asking him that. Good to see one of the big boys of college hockey give props to RPI and its program.

Comment

Working...
                                X