PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota @ Mankato State of Minnesota: 12/3-12/4

Pages : [1] 2 3

SanTropez
11-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Will the Gophers continue their road dominance over lower tier teams?

How many shades of red will Jutting turn while talking to referees?

Will Juttings head explode after the Gophers sweep the landcows?

goldy_331
11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Will the Gophers continue there road dominance over lower tier teams?

How many shades of red will Jutting turn while talking to referees?

Will Juttings head explode after the Gophers sweep the landcows?

Will SanTropez learn some basic English usage rules? FTR, I'm betting no. :p

SanTropez
11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Will SanTropez learn some basic English usage rules? FTR, I'm betting no. :p

Probably not. :)

state of hockey
11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
This series means more to me than most of the Gopher faithful. I know way too many people that are chomping at the bit to rip into me whenever the Mavs take some points. :)

Also, don't expect Kato fans to respond here. Not only because they are few and far between, but because of the title.

SanTropez
11-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Also, don't expect Kato fans to respond here. Not only because they are few and far between, but because of the title.

Really? Just having some fun with them.

state of hockey
11-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Really? Just having some fun with them.

Oh I know, but they don't like fun. ;)

BigM3810
11-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Is this the first Gopher series played on a NHL sized rink?

HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
11-30-2010, 02:55 PM

No. Minnesota played @ Michigan Tech earlier this year.

BigM3810
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
No. Minnesota played @ Michigan Tech earlier this year.

For some reason I thought that Tech had a bigger sheet. I need to be a better googler!

Driftryder
11-30-2010, 03:06 PM

The rink in Mankato is olympic size not NHL size.

johnnypohlfan
12-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Wednesday afternoon. 10 (now 11) posts. Thread currently resides on page 2, below the thread from last weekend's games. Is that really where this season has taken us?

Driftryder
12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Well apparently the thread title is hurting the Mankato fans feelings so they won't post here. Thin skinned I guess.

Gophers sweep

state of hockey
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Wednesday afternoon. 10 (now 11) posts. Thread currently resides on page 2, below the thread from last weekend's games. Is that really where this season has taken us?

No, it is where playing Mankato takes you.

crossjcek
12-02-2010, 10:06 AM
We just don't really care that much (about posting on the board). I would be very surprised to get any points this weekend. We are just not very good. The fans are tired of the same things every year and have slowly dropped off of the board. Shane Frederick's blog is about the only place to find them/us.

Driftryder
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Weekend preview

Weekend Overview:

The Gophers play their fifth and sixth road games of the season this weekend, but their first against an in-state opponent. Minnesota will make the 90-minute trek down US-169 to Mankato to for a pair of games against rival Minnesota State. The Gophers are a perfect 4-0-0 on the road this year and have outscored their opponents 23-10. The Mavericks are 1-1-2 at home and Friday's game will be Minnesota State's first home game since Oct. 23.

Last Time Out: The Gophers closed out the final and 18th edition of the College Hockey Showcase in style with a 3-1 upset of No. 8 Michigan. Nate Condon opened the scoring for the Gophers at the 14:50 mark of the first period. The goal was the end result of a crisp blueline-to-blueline pass from defenseman Cade Fairchild to forward Jacob Cepis. Condon went five-hole on Michigan goaltender Bryan Hogan after Cepis fed him with a nifty saucer pass over a defenseman's stick. Nick Larson put Minnesota up 2-0 after he scored his first goal of the year at the 17:10 mark of the second period. The Wolverines would cut the lead to 2-1 with a goal 55 seconds later, but freshman Erik Haula restored the two-goal advantage with a power-play strike with 16 seconds left in the second period. Goaltender Alex Kangas, who started for the first time since Nov. 5, made 36 saves to pick up his second win of the year. Minnesota fell 5-2 to Michigan State on Friday.

Series History: Minnesota leads the all-time series with Minnesota State 29-6-6, but the series has been competitive recently. In the last 10 meetings the Gophers hold a slim 5-4-1 advantage against the Mavericks. Minnesota State had won three straight against Minnesota, but the Gophers ended that streak last year with a 6-2 romp on Dec. 5, 2009, in Mankato.

About The Mavericks: Minnesota State returns home for the first time in more than a month after playing all eight of their November games away from Verizon Wireless Center. Over 40-day span, the Mavericks have traveled more than 8,400 total miles with trips to Alaska-Anchorage, Nebraska-Omaha, Denver, and UMass-Lowell. They are 3-4-1 in their last eight road games and are looking forward to playing a home game again. Last weekend they swept Hockey East's UMass-Lowell, taking down the River Hawks 8-3 and 3-2. The Mavericks, who lost five of their top six highest-scoring forwards from last year, are led up front by reigning WCHA Rookie of the Week, Chase Grant (4g-5a) and Michael Dorr (3g-6a). Senior defenseman Kurt Davis leads the team with 11 points (3g-8a) and junior Justin Jokinen leads the team in goals with six after recording a hat trick against UMass-Lowell last week. Davis is third among defensemen in WCHA scoring with eight points (2g-6a). Last year's leading scorer, defenseman Ben Youds, has seven points (1g-6a). In goal, sophomore Phil Cook has started 11 of the team's 14 games. Cook sports a 3-6-2 record, a 3.33 GAA and a save percentage of .901.

Worth the Wait: Minnesota State played its last home game 40 days ago on Oct. 23. The long break between home games for Minnesota opponents is nothing new this year. The Gophers faced Colorado College after the Tigers were away from the Colorado Springs World Arena for 20 days. Minnesota prevailed 4-1 in that meeting and took the second game 9-4. The Gophers then faced Michigan Tech at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena after the Huskies had been away from home for 33 days. Minnesota prevailed 6-4 in the first game and won the second game by a 4-1 margin.

Mavfan21
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Mavericks sweep.

Koho
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Mavericks sweep.

....the basement floor?

state of hockey
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Have to be honest, it wouldn't completely shock me. The Gophers have been much better on the road thus far though, so we will see.

gopher wes
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Oh I really hope the mavs fans aren't angry about the thread title. I think it is hilarious when tdogs fans try to make Gopher fans angry with the whole UM-TC deal. I just think it is the fact that there are no mavs fans on the board though mostly.

I expect a sweep. I make this trip every year and I expect nothing less than a sweep. What I want and what we will get could be a different story, though. It would not suprise me to see the mavs steal at least a win. They have had success against the Gophers the past few years and even in some ugly, lop-sided games. I mean, the mavs are downright awful from what I have heard so far. However, these games will be kato's natl championships I would think. I just hope the Gophers don't look past this weekend to what is going to be an important showdown with tdogs at home next weekend. Let's hope the Gophers take care of business and we can have a fun weekend in kato.

crossjcek
12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
The thread title won't bother anyone (I don't think). We are used to being called land cows, Mankato State (still), the minnesota state screaming eagles, whatever ya got. It is simply that no one posts here anymore. I don't even know what page the season thread is on! I think that in the past couple of years the Mavs have played fast and physical and gave themselves a chance to win games against the UM and other teams. The team hasn't played that way this year so it will be interesting to see the outcome.