PDA

View Full Version : Brown @ UNH - Onions Mans search for Glory

Pages : [1] 2

GoUNH
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Ahhh yes, a throwback to the Tuesday night ECAC days at Sniveley. Should be a win for the Wildcats. Should be.

Discuss.

kdiff77
11-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Should be, yes, but we just swept Colgate and Cornell on the road. Granted, both of those teams are having down years, but we haven't done that since the early 90's. So don't sleep on us!

That said, I do expect a Wildcat win, and not by a very close margin. But we'll see!

GoUNH
11-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Should win does not mean will win, my friend!

Snively65
11-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Except for Moses, UNH looked pretty gassed in the waning minutes of the game against BU on Saturday night. But, the Cats should be rested by Tuesay night and much more focused than they might have been had they swept BU in a game they should have won at Agganis.

Mike Hutter
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I am more confident than kdiff - I believe Brown can and will win Tuesday. Its style of play will give UNH fits. Unless Clemente is off his game, Brown 4 UNH 2.

i'zonprize
11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I recall seeing Brown in the ECAC Finals last yr. If not for Scrivens, Brown would have walked out the winner. Very tough fought game. Brown, from what i recall was plenty fast themselves. But while sweeping their recent trip to Upstate NY looks impressive, Cornell at 2-6 and Colgate even worse at 2-7-1 tells a different tail. UNH's stregth of schedule is in a slightly different bracket, at this point in the season. Enough to say, they've played 6 games against teams ranked in the TOP 3 so far this season.. going 3-2-1. I'm taking UNH with a dominating W. Unless of course UNH hasn't solved for the mid-season ECAC/Kryptonite game that always causes us to walk away shaking our heads!! Just so I cover my bases!

Snively65
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Brown has UNH alum Mark White as an assistant coach.

WildShawn
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I am more confident than kdiff - I believe Brown can and will win Tuesday. Its style of play will give UNH fits. Unless Clemente is off his game, Brown 4 UNH 2.

What style is that?

Waterboy66
11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, UNH salvages a 5-5 tie with a lot of luck.

Brown clearly outchanced UNH thru most of the game (despite the shot count). UNH must have been flat, or just challenged by the Brown style...... I would guess that the UNH fans might understand that style now.

Great effort by the boys on the road. Let's hope the boys can bring a similar effort at BU.

C-H-C
11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Kudos to Brown. They've got some speed, some skill players and solid goaltending. Wouldn't be surprised to see them finish high up in the ECAC.

C-H-C
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
UNH must have been flat, or just challenged by the Brown style...... I would guess that the UNH fans might understand that style now.
What gave UNH fits was the tenacious forechecking. Brown occasionally sent 3 forwards in and the UNH D-Men coughed up the puck way too often.

GoUNH
11-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Very impressed with Brown. UNH was outplayed tonight.

unhpuckfan2001
11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
"When you eliminate all other possibilities, you are left with the only possible answer."

Brown only put up 5 because UNH wasn't focsed...nope, the 'Cats played most of the game very well.

DiGiralamo had an off night... nope, not judging from some of his saves (did you SEE him challenge practically to the blue line?)

UNH played lazy, overlooking the Brown Bears... nope, they fought hard up and down the ice.

The only answer I'm left with is that Brown is a legit good hockey team. They were very opportunistic (assisted by the often snoozing UNH D), and have some **** fast skaters. Their captain, #9 with the really Czech name, was everywhere. They'll be a team to reckon with come ECACs for sure.

Disappointed with UNHs breakdowns, but impressed with their late game compsure once again. God, it was good to be back at whit after over a month...

Dan
11-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Brown was great - they out-skated and out-muscled UNH all night long...But I couldnt disagree more with your assesment of UNH puckfan. They WERE lazy, they didnt skate until late in the third, they didnt go to the net until late in the third, they were sloppy and lacked focus until late in the third. As bad as they have played all year long. This is not a 'great' UNH team, theyve been successful this season because they've out-worked and out-skated their opponents for 60 minutes...they did it for five tonight.

Flat-footed all night, lots of turnovers and awful defensive coverage led to a lot of great chances for Brown - who could have scored 10 if not for Digi...

thecomicbookguy
11-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Brown only put up 5 because UNH wasn't focsed...nope, the 'Cats played most of the game very well.

UNH played lazy, overlooking the Brown Bears... nope, they fought hard up and down the ice.

I would dispute both of these, rather strongly. Yes, Brown is better than most people probably think, but UNH looked TERRIBLE for vast stretches of the game, never really skating with the Bears until late in the 3rd (just before they tied it). The final two minutes, and pretty much all of OT, UNH finally skated with Brown, instead of just chasing them all over the ice. The rest of the game, the only time UNH looked evenly matched was on the power play.

WildShawn
11-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Credit to Brown for outworking and outplaying UNH tonight. UNH lost almost every one on one battle, were lazy with the puck, and couldn't put passes together. brown deserved a better fate.

Puckfan, I gotta side with the other folks. Look at how they played 4 days ago, it was hard to believe that was the same team on the same ice.

thecomicbookguy
11-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Puckfan, I gotta side with the other folks. Look at how they played 4 days ago, it was hard to believe that was the same team on the same ice.
Exactly.

One thing I will say, though, is that this UNH team seems to have the same "never quit" attitude as the teams of the past two years. Granted, had they played better the first 58 minutes, they might not have needed the comeback, but it's a nice trait for a team to have.

unhpuckfan2001
11-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Credit to Brown for outworking and outplaying UNH tonight. UNH lost almost every one on one battle, were lazy with the puck, and couldn't put passes together. brown deserved a better fate.

I haven't seen a game in over a month, so I couldn't begin to tell you how they compared last night to the games against BU. Agreed that it wasn't their best work last night, but I didn't see them at their worst, either. There were absolutely stretches where Brown outplayed them, and I am befuddled by the constant defensive breakdowns, but I also saw stretches where UNH controlled play pretty well . . . it was those stretches that led me to believe they were playing with intensity, and that Brown was just able to match that intensity. Every time the puck went into a corner, it seemed Brown came away with it; it wasn't that UNH wasn't fighting for it, it's just that Brown was better.

I'd tempered my expectations for this year, and have unfortunately only seen a couple games due to a more rigorous music schedule; I'll have to take your word(s) for it, Shawn and CBG, that last night was not indicative of what they're capable of this year :-) Let's hope they play more up to their own standards against (#18!!) Merrimack Saturday night; this post-Thanksgiving game usually troubles UNH, so it will be interesting.

And CBG, strongly agreed about the never say die attitude. It's refreshing; some 'Cats teams from previous years would have given up mid-way through the third. Not the more recents teams, though.

sshablak
11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Looks like Bruno has "turned the corner". Must be nice as "my team" is going the other way. Go Brown !!

Greg Ambrose
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
It was a great comeback by UNH, for sure. But even after they tied it up, they gave Brown two or three golden chances to win it. UNH's focus in the third period was excellent, at least offensively, but it doesn't begin to make up for the putrid effort all night in the defensive end. Even after they had burned multiple times by Brown's forechecking, the defense (especially the forwards) seemed surprised by Brown's tenacity. Even in the OT, Brown had a couple of glittering chances down low. Better get it together by Saturday against a very hungry Merrimack.