Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a better college hockey forum than USCHO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a better college hockey forum than USCHO?

cause...this site going down on game night is bs, and I'd gladly read and post on an alternate site that actually works on the most important nights...game nights
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Re: is there a better college hockey forum than USCHO?

It was down even at midnight eastern last night. No excuse uscho. get your act together.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Honest to God, this freaking site is difficult to access even at this time.........

Comment

If they don't do something about these problems, they will have 0 visitors and the site will die quickly. Long time subscribers are getting fed up including me. This has been going on since they upgraded their software right before the season with no beta testing. The communication to subscribers about the problems is less than poor as it is non-existent.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          If they don't do something about these problems, they will have 0 visitors and the site will die quickly. Long time subscribers are getting fed up including me. This has been going on since they upgraded their software right before the season with no beta testing. The communication to subscribers about the problems is less than poor as it is non-existent.
          This.
          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            This site is a disaster and always has been. This has been happening for the large part of the past decade, not since their upgrade. For years and years, this would happen on Friday and Saturday nights, particularly towards the end of the year as people were looking for scores and PWR changes all night. Now it is happening in November and October as well. Add in the fact that they put BU on the front page every 3 days (I know Urton is a BU guy and they have well over a handful of other BU grads on the staff but it's disgraceful) and the fact that their stats pages are having issues as well (Muse not listed with the two shutouts that he has on the D1 stats page) and the fact that their contact USCHO page doesn't work to get them to fix it, and it's clear this whole this is one disgusting mess.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

College hockey news (CHN) is ok, but there is no forum. I also think there is a pariwise there to, but no regular rankings.
              NMU

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                Add in the fact that they put BU on the front page every 3 days
                Whaaaaaaaaa! What a crybaby. BU was #1 in the Nation for a couple of weeks. I guess your Eagles being on the front page for nearly the entire offseason wasn't enough. Boo hoo.

Comment

Of the 24 games last night, only 11 have a recap???

Oh, maybe someone on staff should have communicated to last year's rink reporters, asking them if they plan on continuing this year. I know for sure one reporter that never had any communication once the Frozen Four was over, and that reporter did a regional, too, on their own dime.

Comment

very irritating.
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

This was posted in another thread, and I hope Shot is OK with me spreading this information:

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                      Like everyone else who frequents this site on a regular basis, I too, have experienced frustrations during the period in which changes were made to USCHO. As a result of e-mail contact with someone in a position to know, I am in receipt of some information regarding the changes which have been made to the site. Before I pass along that information elsewhere in this post, I think it behooves everyone to understand that USCHO is working on a limited budget and with what may fairly and accurately be described as a skeletal staff. This site is far more "a labor of love" than it is a money-making-venture.

Is the site perfect in its present form? Perhaps not. Speaking only for myself, I choose to applaud the ongoing efforts of USCHO to provide timely information about many facets of college hockey I, and others, enjoy. It may be there are aspects of the format, content or site operation that visitors don't like. Please take a moment to consider the stark alternative of USCHO's choosing to cease operation rather than electing to introduce upgrades as time and money allows.

I'm glad the site exists and chooses to persevere in the face of adverse shortages of manpower and capital.

Here is some information, in italics, regarding the changes which have been made to USCHO in recent weeks/months.

===>Last weekend we increased the memory in our server and improved the network connectivity. It made a big difference on Saturday. We've also placed an order for a brand new server that is far more powerful than what we have and should handle the load without breaking a sweat. It will have three times the memory and a processor that's about 20x the speed of what we have now. That's huge. Had we had the higher capacity server from the start, all this hassle could have been avoided. But that is water under the bridge. The network speed increase applies to the Fan Forum as well. Our traffic continues to increase each year. We're on a pace on the main site to serve 100 million pages this year.

We really have needed to upgrade for a couple of years, but 2008 and 2009 were terrible years for internet advertising and we just couldn't afford the investment.

People get the idea we have this large staff, but nobody is full-time and our annual editorial budget probably would be the starting salary for a junior reporter on a small town paper. And that's after increasing it substantially this year.
                      <===
                      Always a Wildcat...
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

The game night crashes are the most frustrating and really if you can't stay up during October and November I hate to think of March and April.
                        I applaud the effort to get more content during the week, even if you don't feaure my favorite team every week. ;-}
                        Not every game is recapped, but I can deal with that.
                        Two main issues I have:
                        1. Game night crashes
                        2. Length of time to load

Please don't put on the new server on Friday or Saturday without testing!
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

I never never never had one issue, even at peak times on the previous incarnation. Since the "upgrade," I can't get on during games, had trouble posting links (have since straightened that out) and even at off times, the site loads wonky and I have to try again before being able to see it.
                          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Hopefully the server upgrade goes smoothly, because that should take care of things. My only comment is that if their existing server is that old and out of date, then upgrading the site to more modern and hardware intensive standards should've waited until the new server upgrade went through. That's an IS/IT 101 level mistake there, however I completely understand that the vast majority of the small staff here is only part time and people do need to realize that.

Comment

Beggars can't be choosers. There are a lot of things in life that could be better run, organized, etc. That's the beauty of our country. If you feel strongly or passionately about something, there is nothing stopping you from making it happen!

If there is such an overflow of ideas and dissatisfaction, I suggest you bind together and start a new site.

Competition is a good thing for the consumer!

Comment

Working...
                              X